ADVERTISEMENT

State of the Program and the board

tab

VUSports.com All-American
Gold Member
Jul 26, 2001
This board is as dead as the girl's program which is now 11-15 and 2-13 in the conference. Comments or opinions anyone!!!!! Does anyone even care anymore?
This post was edited on 3/1 1:25 PM by tab

tab,

I have been following the program since the pre-Penneyfather days, but I would not know what I could do to improve things.

retire Harry, recruiting is way too narrow, hire the nova grad that coaches drexel

Whitecat posts exactly my sentiments. I see no real effort to make the Lady Cats competitive. The whole situation is really disheartening.

I see no real effort to make the Lady Cats competitive. The whole situation is really disheartening.

The administration seems content to have the program float in a sea of mediocrity. Run a clean program & graduate the student athletes. Does anyone seem to care? has anyone thrown out a challenge to or set goals for Harry? We do ok was not acceptable for Lappas but seems ok here.
This post was edited on 3/2 8:07 PM by fjm
This post was edited on 3/4 7:32 PM by fjm

I don't think anyone would consider 3-13 in the conference OK!!!!!!

Gosh, isn't there anything positive to say. We made the NCAA 1st round last year! That is really the problem. If we didn't have some recent success Harry would be in no better position than Tom Lochner, who just got bounced from LaSalle. Interestingly Mel Greenberg from the Inquirer mentioned Joe Mullaney as a possible successor. Doubt if that will happen. I see maybe Chris day, the assistant at St. Joes. That being said the program is going downward on a slippery slope. I seriously doubt we will be no better and probably worse next year. We lack any continuation in the backcourt for next year. Kimmel will not be a Kurz ,who could add significant points. The other BE teams are not stagnant and are improving. St Johns and G-town are perfect examples. Yes, we will have top "scholar" athletes, no crying about title 9 etc. Probllem is the heart of the program is on a ventilator with no transplant in sight. Thats from the top on down. I will always support it because I know and like the team. At this point they are like orphans looking for boundaries and direction that make sense and not "we are up by 6 with three minutes to go so lets not run our plays and hope we make our foul shots"

Problem is the heart of the program is on a ventilator with no transplant in sight. Thats from the top on down.
Well stated - and no one at the top really seems to care! I truly wonder if he has ever been "challenged" by the higher ups about the program. has the bar ever been raised for him? If Notre Dame can produce a nationally ranked program, why can't we?
This post was edited on 3/10 8:37 AM by fjm
This post was edited on 3/10 8:37 AM by fjm

Harry is a great guy but he needs to change( and he won't) or move on. They need a younger women ( Denise Dillon?) with ties to Nova to make it change. It's funny how close he was top getting Delladonne which would have changed everything. She would not have left after two days at Nova.

The bottom line is that no one really gives a shit about women's hoops, except for family members and close friends. One of the ESPN analysts (can't recall which one), when asked said that the absolute worst men's teams in Division 2/3 would hammer UConn by at least 30 or 40 points. I'll take that one step further. A good , not great , high school team would beat them by at least 30.
It's a completely different game. these national media types that try to make women's college hoops a big deal are ridiculous. How are the attendance figures at 99% of college games and the pathetic WNBA?

Not really worth the reply of someone who relies on an ESPN analyst and can't recall the name. I think you would be surprised at the results of a UConn womens game against the "worst D 2/3 mens teams". No brag just fact. Of course when we are talking about the VU women's team , that is a different subject.

Harry is a great guy but he needs to change( and he won't)

And who might communicate that to him and monitor if it happens?
This post was edited on 3/10 4:15 PM by fjm

I'll repeat my earlier statement and add to it. A decent HS team would kill UConn by at least 20 or 30. Women's hoops is an entirely different game. If you like basketball, you CAN'T like that. Women are raving about that dope at Baylor that slugged the other player because she can dunk! Uh, she's 6'8". And she can dunk!! Tells you all you need to know about the so called skills of the women's game.
Title 9 needs to be abolished

Obviously you are a big fan and watch a lot of college womens basketball. You probably didn't appreciate a Princeton mens offens or when G-town and Notre Dame apply it this yearto adjust tempo. Ever watch North carolina women or for that matter, St. Johns. Its like watching Cleveland State mens. Of course you are aware of my reference to Cleveland state or maybe I should say Paul Westhead, who by the way is coaching the women at Oregon. Maybe Bill Laimbeer or other pro men players who coach in the WNBA could comment, but their in it just for the money and hate good hoop.

Needtobaby: guys like Westhead and Laimbeer ARE. In it just for the money. Don't kid yourself.
Women's hoops is very much a niche sport and that's fine for those that like it. My point is that the few media types that try to make it more than a niche sport are clowns. The networks would love to Jack it up into the mainstream for revenue purposes, but it'll never happen ' cause most hoopheads see it for what it is - not very good or very compelling. That's all.

Harry should hire Norton to really run this ship on the rocks.

I'm not sure of the time,but I think the Womens selection show for the NCAA tourney is Monday at 9. The over/under on viewers is 2400. I'm going with the under.
The other bet is the Lesbo ratio per team. Vegas has it at 69%. I'm taking the over. A sure, lock it down bet.

The program used to have its games on radio. Even St. Joes, La Salle etc. have their games on radio.

Dont know why a Big East team like VU ever lost their radio contract. Just another example of nobody really caring about the sport.

People should start caring if we have to buy tickets to this crap in order
to get mens hoops tickets.

Go get a uconn asst coach who knows how to recruit

There are some very good high school programs with in a short drive of Nova

Ohara, Carroll, Germantown Academy, Wood and Cheltenham

The really good Kids don't want to play that slow down BS offense

The girl he got from Abington (lauer)is pretty good

Harry is a dinosaur. Though a great guy. Used to play pickup games with him while I was at Nova.

Any legit female hoops player is not going to want to play games in the 50's - which is where Harry wants the games.

Horribly boring style of basketball he runs out there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT