ADVERTISEMENT

Talent - are we overcomplicating this?

GaryMassey

Bleeds Villanova Blue
Gold Member
Jul 11, 2001
Overland Park, Kansas
Like most of us, this loss is particularly difficult, given the post season results since 2009 and our general concerns about the quality of our new conference.

After almost 48 hours of off and on reflection and watching a few other games...I'm sure there is no magic answer to our questions. It's complex and layered.

Is our conference too weak to make us march ready? Maybe...but Wichita St. isn't in a better conference...neither is Gonzaga.

So did they have better matchups? Maybe...I think we would have beaten Kansas or Iowa or the like.

Ultimately, the answer that makes the most sense to me is talent.

Wichita St. won yesterday because Baker and VanFleet were the most talented players on the floor.

I maintain that talent-wise (and not saying "talent" shows up every night)...

Lacy > Nova guards

Abu > Ochefu

Nard Freeman > Pinkston

and certainly Barber was the quickest player on the floor.

This isn't a knock on our guys in the least...just saying NC State has 3-5 guys who have greater leaping, speed, quickness, strength.

Our 2005-2009 teams had some guys who were just more talented than our current players...Foye, Lowry, Sumpter when healthy, Fischer, Reynolds...

We created matchup nightmares for teams which made teams knuckle under in March.

We have great kids who play their hearts out...and Hillard really tried to put us on his back at the end of the game...but we got out-talented Saturday, and last year against UConn.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News