ADVERTISEMENT

Tattoos

CaEr0xhWYAA50KF.jpg

When I was in my late teens / early twenties, I nearly got a Celtic cross down my spine, a la Sean Penn in Mystic River.

I am glad I didn't. One because it's trashy. And two because I had skin cancer there, and the surgery would have totally fcked up how bad-ass it looked.

Reactions: kjbert
Looking forward to UFC 200, but I doubt that I would ever get a tattoo.
My aesthetic preferences change too much. That celtic cross or tribal design or barbed wire around the arm isn't going to have the same appeal in a few years. Like pets, I think they are cool, but i would just prefer that other people have them and deal with the responsibility of having them. I would also feel like a tough guy poser having grown up with the mindset that tattoos are for military vets like grandpa Dimer (four leaf clover on one forearm, anchor on the other) and counterculter lifestylers - punk rockers, bikers, etc.

"I want to get a tattoo of myself on my entire body only 2" taller."

Stephen-Wright.jpg

This guy's a legend.

Picks up a hitchhiker, "hey, put your seatbelt on I wanna try something, saw it in a cartoon but I'm pretty sure I can do it."

I don't know who said it first, but the question remains for me, "Have you ever seen a good looking tattoo on an old person?"

Reactions: kjbert and as002
Time was to get a tattoo you had to have done time, ran with a gang, or have been in the service. Now I see a 105 pound bike messenger looking like a Hell's Angel.

Reactions: NickleDimer
Similar to MWG I had liked the idea of a large back tattoo when I was younger like Anthony Kiedis has - but never pulled the trigger

anthony-kiedis-photo-terry-richardson-august-27th-2011-tattoo-red-hot-chili-peppers-im-with-you-era-image-01.jpeg

I don't know who said it first, but the question remains for me, "Have you ever seen a good looking tattoo on an old person?"
Fair point, but I also question how important it is to limit the prime of your life in service to your later years. My grandmother's sister, her husband who was an accountant dropped dead the day he retired. No one gave a sh*t about his tattoos.

Fair point, but I also question how important it is to limit the prime of your life in service to your later years. My grandmother's sister, her husband who was an accountant dropped dead the day he retired. No one gave a sh*t about his tattoos.

We call that retirony
6tPMYPG.jpg

This applies to bodies in general. If your body is attractive tattoos look good. If it isn't it just makes you look worse. It is possible to be old and have a decent body but, yeah, rare

I have one tattoo. It's on my left upper arm. It looks like a painting of a minimalist sunset and it wraps around the whole arm. Red on top, yellow in the middle (with a few those simple little arcs that look like birds flying through), then a representation of mountains in black, and mixed blue colors below that to look like the ocean. Girls always compliment it. Good conversation starter and I still like it years later.

Don't think i'll be getting another any time soon but certainly open if i get another idea which sticks

Last edited:
Tattoos work for David Beckham. They don't work for most of the general public.

have 3. none for relatives. none colored only black ink because i don't want to have to go through the retouching of color process. i'm contemplating a 4th one but that would most likely be it for me.

Obriend has a few i believe.

I think they all look terrible, regardless of body type.

Would still make out with Obriend tho. Not a dealbreaker by any means

Reactions: gldendog
20150710054552_1DX_9496.JPG

No Love's next tattoo should read "No More". Pump the brakes, Birdman.

I've got 5, but three are technically next to each other/interwoven in starting a sleeve. I plan on getting more done towards the end of the summer when I'm not out in the sun as much. All of them have meaning and memories behind them. I draw and paint as a side hobby and did the initial designs for everything and allowed the artists to add their style to it. I'm looking at a new studio in Philly as my one guy is doing a tour right now (mofo still has a 100 deposit of mine).

I said no tattoos. Pay attention. Joke works better if I said I had one on my back.

I would say that, conservatively, 90% of the tattoos in the world are total bullshit. Every once in a while you'll see one that's perfectly done, in a spot that's not conspicuous, that means a great deal, and then you realize why they've existed for thousands of years.

I do not have one.

I don't have a tattoo and never wanted one. However, I was out to dinner with a couple of neighbors a few months ago. one of the husbands basically asked the same question and the men said no, and 75% of the women said yes. He set up the conversation and basically said he had read something like 60% of all white women between 25-45 (I am probably slightly off on the age and slightly off the percentage) had tattoos. I was shocked to hear it that high, but between butterfly's on the back or a flower on the hip, or something on the ankle - seems like women are more tattoo prone than men (at least in my demographic)

I don't have a tattoo and never wanted one. However, I was out to dinner with a couple of neighbors a few months ago. one of the husbands basically asked the same question and the men said no, and 75% of the women said yes. He set up the conversation and basically said he had read something like 60% of all white women between 25-45 (I am probably slightly off on the age and slightly off the percentage) had tattoos. I was shocked to hear it that high, but between butterfly's on the back or a flower on the hip, or something on the ankle - seems like women are more tattoo prone than men (at least in my demographic)
gr8 point. There's a different approach to it between guys and gals. You've always seen dudes with clearly visible tattoos - forearms, upper arms, Boston College calf sleeves, etc. More and more ladies are joining the fray in that regards, though it had traditionally limited to small concealed ones.

Not sure it qualifies as "good looking" but Dame Judi gets a pass because she's too cool for me to question.

Me and my two sisters each have one of, "Live. Laugh. Love." tattooed on various body parts.

No wait, that's my girlfriend. Not me. Sorry.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT