ADVERTISEMENT

Thank you for deleting Amtrak thread

OldManYellsatCloud

All VUSports.com Team
Oct 10, 2009
Pretty tasteless and not cool. My cousin was on train and was hurt (not seriously). Hope Foye was banned too for that.

Who hasn't been on that Amtrak from 30th St to NYP? It's my preferred way of travel to NYC. I know the odds of things like this happening are slim, but I may be taking the Bolt Bus up next time.

Who hasn't been on that Amtrak from 30th St to NYP? It's my preferred way of travel to NYC. I know the odds of things like this happening are slim, but I may be taking the Bolt Bus up next time.

Bolt Bus yesterday in Boston.....
qam4eqwhlc1gcw5apmq2.gif

Reactions: spg109876ers
Isn't being tasteless the whole point of "remembered" threads? The fact that they are tasteless is literally why they exist.

Different when it's a celebrity. Your thread was called CoPers remembered or something like that. Stupid since I bet the dead were most likely NYers.

How about 9/11 remembered? That is the template upon which all remembered threads follow.

He's really done a good job with this and has been a good mayor. Also a really nice guy.

Reports that train was going 107 miles per hour. No train expert here, but sound a bit excessive going around that turn.

Reports that train was going 107 miles per hour. No train expert here, but sound a bit excessive going around that turn.

Supposed to be going 50 around that turn. Some automatic brake failed. And perfect timing too. Earlier today congress rejected a proposal to grant Amtrak money for infrastructure repairs.

Train engines or specifically brakes are not infrastructure.

big Amtrak supporter but just for the sake of accuracy: train engines or specifically brakes are not infrastructure and Congress gave them over a billion dollars. Agree they should get more.

As rescue teams respond to Tuesday night’s frightening Amtrak crash outside Philadelphia, they’re walking the same ground where, 72 years ago, servicemen headed to New York on Labor Day instead spent the night searching through derailed train cars in one of the worst railway accidents in American history, the 1943 Frankford Junction crash. The coincidence was noted by Philadelphia Daily News assistant managing editor Gar Joseph on Twitter.

In that crash, 79 were killed and 117 injured when a journal box failed and an axle snapped at high speed, sending the Pennsylvania Railroad’s Congressional Limited, packed with servicemen and vacationers, catapulting off the track.

One of the National Transportation Safety Board's main safety recommendations for trains is to have automatic braking, called positive train control, for a train traveling too fast for conditions along a section of track. But the cost of upgrading tracks and trains with the equipment has prevented the adoption of positive train control by a congressional deadline set for the end of 2015.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...l-fatalities-safety-recommendations/27230569/

Problem is we dumped tens of millions into high speed rail in places that don't want via the stimulus money we pissed away in Obama's first year. We should have dumped that money into the NEC or allowed the Chinese to dump the 50 billion they had lined up for Maglev in the same space. Instead, we pissed a load of money away in places they don't ride the rails. Good work Obama.

Problem is we dumped tens of billions into high speed rail in places that don't want via the stimulus money we pissed away in Obama's first year. We should have dumped that money into the NEC or allowed the Chinese to dump the 50 billion they had lined up for Maglev in the same space. Instead, we pissed a load of money away in places they don't ride the rails. Good work Obama.

Yeah, ok, seatbelts. The train was on rails obviously. Kind of a different situation. Trains go much, much faster than that in Europe and they don't have seat belts there either. They also have no problem driving triple digits on the reg in the most civilized parts of Europe.

Sadly, $hit happens, just be glad it wasn't you, would ride Amtrak tomorrow without hesitation.

also, seats were flying around so if you wanted it safer you'd also have to retrofit all these trains like planes and more effectively bolt the seats to the floor. Better to just stop train conductors from f---ing up.

I'm not at all implying that seatbelts should be required or they are the reason that amtrak is going to be on the hook for taking care of all the victims. Just saying that it helps me understand the carnage that was in the pics and how badly injured almost everyone involved is likely to be. Just comparing it to my knowledge of how unsecured people in cars can get badly hurt even in lower speed accidents.

Any chance this cat fell asleep? Or, just cock strong and loved to speed? 30th St. to Port Richmond isn't all that far. Not sure he had time to fall asleep.

I've noticed that, especially on the relatively later night DC-NY corridor trains like this one (last one usually leaves DC around 10 or 11), they often speed on the post-Philly stretch to make up time. The DC-Wilmington stretch has relatively more stops and for whatever other reasons goes a lot slower per mile than the rest of the trip. Some of it's to keep schedule, another part for them to just finish their day sooner. But you'd think they'd not f--- around with what's supposed to be a dangerous curve there.

Amtrak should be privatized. The Japanese have the best intercity rail system in the world and it's private. It never crashes, it's never late, it's profitable, and the trains go 150 miles per hour.

Amtrak should be privatized. The Japanese have the best intercity rail system in the world and it's private. It never crashes, it's never late, it's profitable, and the trains go 150 miles per hour.
agree, but won't happen because only the NEC makes money. Same Members of Congress who love to rail on Amtrak cut their funding and blame them for losing money won't let you cut the unprofitable trains that operate in their cities. They want their train service too. I used to fight these offices all the time when we debated Amtrak funding. The same Members who cite this as government waste want their farm subsidies and water projects funded.

That's too bad, NorCal. I'm very sorry to hear that. Did you know him/her well?

Didn't know him that well. He only worked here for about a year, but worked on my floor and was always extremely friendly. Apparently his wife still lives in DC and was planning to move up to NYC imminently and he would take the train back and forth quite frequently.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT