ADVERTISEMENT

The People vs. OJ Simpson

bmoneynova

VUSports.com Legend
Oct 21, 2005
pretty excited for this...hearing nothing but good things. anyone else gonna check it out?

Pretty good cast even considering two Kardashians (Kourtney, and Kim, 4 episodes each), and you have to love Courtney B. Vance as Johnnie Cochran. But I hate Cuba Gooding Jr. as O.J. He always plays the good guy. You need a bad guy for this. Nathan Lane as F. Lee Bailey will probably steal the show.

I had no idea mama Kardashian was good friends with Nicole Brown Simpson.
nicole-brown-435.jpg

Pretty sure OJ was friends with attorney Kardashian years before he met and married Kris Jenner. But yes you are correct that Kris and Brown-Simpson were friends. They were also divorced in 1991 - three years before the "trial of the century."

Best line I saw was if OJ wanted a jury of his peers he would have wanted old rich white people, because that is what he thought himself as.

Pretty much. Till he got arrested then his legal team tried to paint him as Malcolm X to better identify with the black jury so they'd forget he lived his life as a house Negro

The jury makeup was a big issue but the defense hammered home three really big items as reasonable doubt - F. Lee Bailey introducing Mark Fuhrman's incredibly racist tape recordings, Johnnie Cochrane exploiting the bloody glove seemingly not fitting Simpson, and Barry Scheck's crucifixation of the LAPD's evidence gathering techniques.

The jury makeup was a big issue but the defense hammered home three really big items as reasonable doubt - F. Lee Bailey introducing Mark Fuhrman's incredibly racist tape recordings, Johnnie Cochrane exploiting the bloody glove seemingly not fitting Simpson, and Barry Scheck's crucifixation of the LAPD's evidence gathering techniques.

Trying the case in LA when it should have been tried in Santa Monica lost the case.

Reactions: GaryMassey
Not sure if anyone mentioned this someplace else, but in June ESPN is doing an 8-hour, 5-part miniseries on OJ. Some have said it's going to be the best thing they ever did.

They finally found something useful for Cuba Jr. Dude has fallen off the map since American Gangster and that ****ing Rat Race movie.

pretty excited for this...hearing nothing but good things. anyone else gonna check it out?
Having watched most of the trial, I'm really curious to see this series. I have it scheduled to record to watch it after watching 10 college hoops games every week.

I agree with TheDean, not only is Cuba Gooding, Jr. the archetypal good guy, but he also isn't as good looking as OJ. Terrence Howard would have been a better choice to play OJ.

Also, this is an unconventional thing, but does anyone else think that Christopher "Mad Dog" Russo would have be a natural choice to play Barry Scheck?

I agree with TheDean, not only is Cuba Gooding, Jr. the archetypal good guy, but he also isn't as good looking as OJ. Terrence Howard would have been a better choice to play OJ.

Also, this is an unconventional thing, but does anyone else think that Christopher "Mad Dog" Russo would have be a natural choice to play Barry Scheck?
Good looking?

3700a2ca94592d28bb70f53e9c538524.jpg

Have to ask a black chick but OJ in his prime was probably a NC

I have a question for the lawyers ......Could there have been two separate murder trials for Brown and Goldman? Did they have to be tried together?
Section 954 of the California Penal Code makes it seem technically possible, but highly unlikely for reasons of judicial economy, which every judge and prosecutor in a jurisdiction as big as Los Angeles cares deeply about.

The relevant statute:

"An accusatory pleading may charge two or more different
offenses connected together in their commission, or different
statements of the same offense or two or more different offenses of
the same class of crimes or offenses, under separate counts, and if
two or more accusatory pleadings are filed in such cases in the same
court, the court may order them to be consolidated. The prosecution
is not required to elect between the different offenses or counts set
forth in the accusatory pleading, but the defendant may be convicted
of any number of the offenses charged, and each offense of which the
defendant is convicted must be stated in the verdict or the finding
of the court; provided, that the court in which a case is triable, in
the interests of justice and for good cause shown, may in its
discretion order that the different offenses or counts set forth in
the accusatory pleading be tried separately or divided into two or
more groups and each of said groups tried separately. An acquittal of
one or more counts shall not be deemed an acquittal of any other
count.
"

Section 954 of the California Penal Code makes it seem technically possible, but highly unlikely for reasons of judicial economy, which every judge and prosecutor in a jurisdiction as big as Los Angeles cares deeply about.

The relevant statute:

"An accusatory pleading may charge two or more different
offenses connected together in their commission, or different
statements of the same offense or two or more different offenses of
the same class of crimes or offenses, under separate counts, and if
two or more accusatory pleadings are filed in such cases in the same
court, the court may order them to be consolidated. The prosecution
is not required to elect between the different offenses or counts set
forth in the accusatory pleading, but the defendant may be convicted
of any number of the offenses charged, and each offense of which the
defendant is convicted must be stated in the verdict or the finding
of the court; provided, that the court in which a case is triable, in
the interests of justice and for good cause shown, may in its
discretion order that the different offenses or counts set forth in
the accusatory pleading be tried separately or divided into two or
more groups and each of said groups tried separately. An acquittal of
one or more counts shall not be deemed an acquittal of any other
count.
"

Was there ever a doubt this know it all ass clown wouldn't quote the CA penal code in this thread?

I could never understand this: why wasn't the Bronco chase admissible? That was highly irrational behavior for someone who was innocent, and he knew police were looking to arrest him. To me, that was the whole case.

I could never understand this: why wasn't the Bronco chase admissible? That was highly irrational behavior for someone who was innocent, and he knew police were looking to arrest him. To me, that was the whole case.

Admissible as what??? Proof that someone was unhinged and attempted to resist arrest?

Wasn't there an actual eyewitness that saw him fleeing the scene but then sold their story to a tabloid thus destroying their ability to be a witness?

The biggest error the prosecution made was the failure to seek the death penalty. A death qualified jury would have likely been whiter and more likely to convict than the jury they picked. I don't think there was much chance that OJ would have gotten sentenced to death given the quality of his representation and the incompetence of Marcia Clark and Chris Darden, but they would have been much more likely to convict.

That jury could of had pics of OJ standing over the bodies with a knife in his hand and they weren't convicting. It was pay back time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT