ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts after UVA

MD78

VUSports.com Addict
Gold Member
Oct 20, 2002
It was great seeing Eric again and meeting Shananigans and Nova Nut.....

1) The first question Nova Nut asked me on Friday night was what I thought of this team.....my answer was I don't know...NC State and Oklahoma shattered my confidence. I was certain that they are good enough to compete for the Big East title and deserve a ranking but maybe not elite 8...Final Four good...

2) After UVA I have the same answer but I actually feel better because of how well we played on offense, how we maintained poise and competed and because UVA was THAT GOOD on Saturday.

Two notes: That was Nova's first loss in 48 games while scoring 70 points or more...

However, 75 points is the most points allowed in regulation by UVA since a loss @ Tennessee in November 2013. UVA has only allowed 70 points in regulation twice in over 60 games....they are THAT GOOD on defense...so Nova's offense deserves serious kudos...

3) The TWO preseason concerns were DEFENSIVE REBOUNDING and general defense, especially against dribble penetration....Hillard's length, JVP's toughness and rebounding and Ennis' athleticism are missed greatly....guess what.....defensive rebounding and defense are STILL the primary weaknesses....outside shooting remains the x factor....

4) A #1 seed is GONE but a BE championship could still get a 2 or 3 seed.....lots of opportunities for top 25/50 wins but there is no OOC measuring stick.....if Nova thrashes Xavier (again) is that a top 5 win or just show that Xavier and the Big East are overrated? If Xavier wins at the Pavilion, does that confirm Xavier as a top 5 elite or just further "expose" Villanova....the answers will not really come until March and that unfortunately takes a lot of luster off of this season...

5) Has Nova Nation (self included) set such a high standard and unrealistic expectations that a possible 25 win Big East championship season could yield a disappointing #3 seed? Would a third place BE season 7-9 overall losses and a 5 or 6 seed result and if so the 5 seed beats a 12 and a 4, gets to the sweet sixteen and gets blown out by 20+ points be a step forward because we won two in the Dance?

6) So how can this team improve???

a) I expect that Brunson will have a Scotty Reynolds type breakout in February. (Not anything like the 40 point game at UConn) but become the quality player expected. Brunson, like Scotty is not uber athletic and is still adjusting to the size, athleticism and speed of the game. However, he is a very smart, tough basketball player with great instincts and solid skills. He will eventually get it.

b) The chemistry and team defense will improve. Guys will blow fewer assignments. Guards will be asked to crash the defensive glass rather than release for the break. Bridges will get more minutes and improve.

c) The shooting will improve....the ball movement against LaSalle and UVA were much better....Brunson and Booth will drive more...Ochefu will improve on the margins...Jenkins may have had the confidence needed breakout...

7) The team learned a lot from Oklahoma and are not just jacking threes. UVA will show them the need to be tougher...

8) How will this end? I have no idea.....

9) Final point (from another discussion with Eric, Shananigans, Nova Nut ) is it better to be a 5 seed and lurk with less pressure?....my answers;

a) the Dance is a crap shoot to a point...the better seed, the better, theoretic match up, better geographic location...winning is always better...your odds are better with the best seed possible...

b) amended answer to Eric on Saturday morning.....if Nova had been a Big East runner up, 4 or 5 seed, won two games in the Dance, got pounded in the sweet sixteen and been ranked on the good edge of the top 25 instead of being top ten for part of three years now: I do not believe for a moment that Brunson and Spellman would be Cats next year....it was the high rankings and perception of a chance to be elite that got us those two players...that is why winning games and being highly ranked all season matters....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News