ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on MEAC declining FCS playoffs for ESPN game?

Gangtackle11

'Nova Nation Sensation
Jul 14, 2012
MEAC to play SWAC instead of FCS playoffs. ESPN pays $1 million. cite growing deficiits as a reason.

This post was edited on 12/31 2:00 PM by Gangtackle11

Smart move, little chance the MEAC champ will ever advance to FCS final and big paycheck will go a long way for a collection of schools that are financially strapped. Go to Del State campus some time, financially difficult times on that campus and most other hBCUs.

SWAC members Grambling & Southern already eschew FCS playoffs for their annual game in the Super Dome. Alcorn State advanced in the FCS playoffs behind Steve McNair. Other than that, the SWAC champ has had no impact on playoffs. The MEAC champ has likewise won (maybe) one playoff game in 30 years. This represents the second attempt to create a HBCU championship game for TV. The first attempt failed after 2 or 3 years. I can understand why they are doing it and wish them luck, but I think their forefathers fought for the right to compete in true national championship tournaments
rather than HBCU-only events. So I personally believe this represents a departure from Dr. King's dream. It will have no impact on the FCS championship.
This post was edited on 1/2 5:34 PM by DCFRANKLIN

Originally posted by novaclassof90:
Smart move, little chance the MEAC champ will ever advance to FCS final
Ironic statement given that the first national championship when the division (formerly known as 1-AA) was first established was won by Florida A&M.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT