ADVERTISEMENT

Tonight's game is on ESPN2 around 7:30

UncleBill57

VUSports.com Legend
Gold Member
Jul 11, 2001
Just in case anyone didn't know. Tpenter, how did you enjoy your Newark visit today?
This post was edited on 3/24 7:18 PM by UncleBill57

I'm amazed Villanova is only down 2 at the half considering all the bad three pointers they've been shooting all game long. Caroline Coyer is 2-3 on three pointers, but the rest of the team is 1-9. I guess when Sweeney is on the bench they don't get good looks at the three.

This post was edited on 3/24 8:41 PM by TC Romulus

Nova lucky to be within 2 at the half. Hopefully Laura will be able to come back in the second half without fouling early on.

Two outstanding games at Delaware today. Just a lot of fun when you have a home crowd fully behind you for Delaware. They were in trouble at the half and the crowd just picked them up out of the locker room and Della Donne took over from there to rollover West Virginia.

A lot of Delaware fans hung around to cheer on the underdog Albany Great Danes and almost helped them pull off a major upset of North Carolina. Another fun game to watch and be a participating spectator. North Carolina should present a challange for Delaware but they do seem to be a bit offensively challenged at times. Albany led most of the way and if they had been able to hit a couple more shots in the second half I think they would have held on to win. I'll be back down there on Tuesday night for the Del. - UNC game, even if Nova is playing Stanford at the same time, although I think that should be a later game so that I could get home in time to see most of it.

Just love this time of the year!

TP

St. Joe's was kind of in the same position in their NCAA game versus Vanderbilt as Villanova is today at the half.

Van Grinsven, the St. Joe's center, got two early fouls, then spent the rest of the first half on the bench, but St. Joe's kept the game within 6. In the second half, St. Joe's fell behind by 10, then cut the lead to 2 points with 1:14 left, but couldn't pull out the win. Van Grinsven had 14 points in the second half.

Unfortunately, Sweeney now has 4 personal fouls with 11:58 remaining in this game.

A fragrant call that the refs didn't call or review, and an obvious charge into Sweeney that they called instead against Sweeney for her 4th foul were huge obstacles. The refs remarked about both. Having one of our off 3 point shooting night was a big factor as well.

Nevertheless our Lady Cats fought hard all the way.

Michigan only played seven players, and one of the seven only played one minute. Usually, we wear down teams like that.

In the Georgetown game, C. Coyer played 17 minutes and K. Coyer played 13 minutes. Villanova won 89-58. Versus Syracuse, however, K. Coyer played three minutes, and versus Michigan she played one minute. If it's true that the Coyer twins play well together, was it a smart coaching decision to severely limit K. Coyer's minutes in the last two games? When Villanova was having such difficulty scoring in the second half, wouldn't it have been a good idea to go to a Multiple Coyer Offense?

Besides Sweeney and Kane, who shot a combined 13-20, the team shot 8-42. Villanova needed 10 more points from somewhere, but besides Sweeney and Kane, no player scored more than 6 points. For all we know, if K. Coyer had played 10-15 minutes, C. Coyer might have dropped 20 on Michigan. Unfortunately, we'll never know.

Sweeney only played 16 minutes, thanks to those foul calls.

This post was edited on 3/24 10:49 PM by TC Romulus

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT