ADVERTISEMENT

Trunk Club

ComeFiesta

Diaper Dandy
Jan 27, 2005
Has anyone tried this? Been thinking about taking the plunge but I'd like some feedback. My regular wardrobe is looking pretty ratty lately, and I'm in a good position to start building it up by trying something like this rather than going to drop coin all in one place.

You are so busy that you need someone to pick out your clothes?

It's not my thing but for guys in their 30s rocking pleated Dockers, it's probably a good idea.

I wouldn't try this. About a year ago I tried the Shaving club thing and the razor quality was poor. These monthly subscription ideas sound great/easy on paper but they barely ever succeed.

I wouldn't try this. About a year ago I tried the Shaving club thing and the razor quality was poor. These monthly subscription ideas sound great/easy on paper but they barely ever succeed.
Speaking of razors..buy them bulk from Amazon. The quality is as good as Gillette and much much cheaper.

I've used trunk club twice in 2 years. It's pretty great but can get expensive fast.

You talk to a stylist on the phone then she puts together a trunk based on what you're looking for (work / casual / Eagles tailgate) that you can review online. You can reject stuff right away and they swap it for something else. Once you confirm, they send you the trunk. It typically has 6-8 things, shirts, pants, sweaters, blazers, jackets even shoes. You try everything on, keep what you like, return what you don't. You give feedback on fit and style so the next trunk is better. They only charge you for what you keep.

The brands are what you would expect from a high end department store with similar prices. The same guy founded bobobos so they usually include a pair of their pants and a shirt.

The first time I kept 3 button down shirts. A little more color than I'd pick for myself but I like them. 2nd time I got a couple sweaters that I really like and a quilted fall coat that I'm wearing today.

All of the commercials seem to focus on casual stuff. Is it decent for work stuff too?

While we're on the subject, I've been looking for some new suits as my staples are looking pretty tired. Looking to branch out from Brooks Brothers in the same price range. Any suggestions? Maybe something european.

While we're on the subject, I've been looking for some new suits as my staples are looking pretty tired. Looking to branch out from Brooks Brothers in the same price range. Any suggestions? Maybe something european.

Dude, youre out of college and not going to your first holy communion. Brooks Brothers is shit.
Grow up and get a custom suit like a real professional man.

I have some custom stuff but it's not part of the regular rotation. I got them from Tom James, and generally like the quality. Any other recommendations?

Go to a tailor and get one custom fit. Bargain with the guy and try to negotiate a deal for a couple suits.

All of the commercials seem to focus on casual stuff. Is it decent for work stuff too?
They are doing custom suits at their clubhouse locations now but most of the clothes are casual. Work appropriate if your office is on the more casual side of business casual. I would be careful though JMerc, they like slim fit shirts and some are way too slim fit for me and certainly would be for your fat ass. I have a bit of a belly so I had to make it clear to them that extra slim shirts do not work.

I plan to go to the Trunk Club store next time. In CoDB, they have a "clubhouse" (lounge/store) at the Palace Hotel where you sit around and drink cocktails while the stylists bring you clothes to try on. Sounds like an enjoyable shopping experience.

Thanks, that sounds great. I am actually very slim in real life so this appeals to me. Even most places' "extra slim" shirts puff out at the waist. Maybe I'll try this cocktails thing.

Thanks, that sounds great. I am actually very slim in real life so this appeals to me. Even most places' "extra slim" shirts puff out at the waist. Maybe I'll try this cocktails thing.
Per tjc, you are fat. Tjc does not LIE.

edit: LIE

Last edited:
You snobs and your fancy suits. I wear Men's Warehouse and Jos A Bank everyday and no one gives a shit. Save your money for whatever latest technology TJC says you should buy.

Reactions: NickleDimer
I believe Norstroms purchased Trunk Club (and Bonobos for that matter)

You snobs and your fancy suits. I wear Men's Warehouse and Jos A Bank everyday and no one gives a shit. Save your money for whatever latest technology TJC says you should buy.

Not a bad point. I wear suits four days a week typically and my suit wardrobe consists of: 1) Custom suits (four); 2) Brooks Bros. (three); and 3) Jos A Banks (three or four).

No question that my custom suits are my favorites to wear and they weren't all that much more expensive than a Brooks Bros. suit (I think every one of them was less than $1k),

But as far as the "high end" (I forget what they call this line) Jos Banks suits vs. the Brooks Brothers suits, I find no significant difference in the quality or how they look, yet the Jos A Banks suits are usually much less expensive. I have no issue with people wearing a nice Jos Banks suit.

As long as you don't get the cheapest model from Jos A Banks the suits should be fine. They really hit you on the alterations though and you need it with those suits. That's the only reason why I go to a custom guy. You can negotiate the price down and get the suit and alterations for cheaper.

Your physique makes as much, if not more, difference than the suit quality. A cheap suit that fits well on a trim/fit body will look better than a high end custom suit on an out of shape guy.

Reactions: NickleDimer
Does Jo Banks make canvassed suits? I thought all of their crap was fused? I went in there once a few years ago and the sales person was one of the most unknowledgeable people I ever met. I think you can probably find ok stuff there, but you'd have to buy it and then take it to your own tailor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT