ADVERTISEMENT

Tsarnaev Verdict

tjc3844

Post 'Til Your Fingers Bleed
Sep 10, 2003
Jury has reached a verdict. Court will convene @ 3:00PM to make it public.

Bah! You can't edit the subject mid thread anymore.

Does this mean the Ped State people will just cut off the first line of their posts?

The Pope is NOT happy! Nor are the citizens of Boston...

poll-side.jpg

Give him a copy of "The Stranger" the night before it goes down, might make him feel a little bit better.

I'm sure there will be countless appeals (costing millions) to keep this in the news for the next couple years.

Give him a copy of "The Stranger" the night before it goes down, might make him feel a little bit better.

I'm sure there will be countless appeals (costing millions) to keep this in the news for the next couple decades.
Fixed.

The jurors applied federal law as it was written. Any other outcome would have been a miscarriage of justice.

What's the point? 3 Federal executions since 1977. Last one in 2003. This guy will outlive some of the jurors and injured victim's & their families.

The federal death penalty has only been on the books since 1988 and for crimes like terrorism, since 1994, so most people on federal death row haven't been there for very long, relatively speaking. When Timothy McVeigh was sentenced to death, there wasn't even a dedicated place to put federal death row inmates nor a death chamber to execute them.

Just put the guy in general population and justice will be carried out within a couple days at most. Maybe he'll even get the Jeffrey Dahmer treatment. Not to mention the savings.

Countries which executed at least seventy individuals as criminal punishment in 2015:

1. Nigeria
  2. Egypt
  3. Pakistan
  4. Bangladesh
  5. Tanzania
  6. Iran
  7. Vietnam
  8. United States of America
We're in good company!

Note: Does not include some terrific countries that consider the number of executions to be state secrets....China, North Korea, Saudi Arabia, etc.

The US hasn't executed anywhere near 70 people in 2015. In fact, since 1976, that has only happened four times, the last in 2002.

Sorry...my bad.

a) I meant 2014
b) That's a list of countries which issued over 70 death sentences in 2014.

Countries which executed at least seventy individuals as criminal punishment in 2015:

1. Nigeria
  2. Egypt
  3. Pakistan
  4. Bangladesh
  5. Tanzania
  6. Iran
  7. Vietnam
  8. United States of America
We're in good company!

Note: Does not include some terrific countries that consider the number of executions to be state secrets....China, North Korea, Saudi Arabia, etc.

To provide some context for this -- can you put the populations of those countries up there? Not many of them have 300 million people living in them. And my guess is the people put to death in those coutries didn't do anything nearly as terrible as what it takes to get sentenced to death and ultimately executed in the U.S.

I can see the arguments against capital punishment, but it happens so infrequently here that I'm not sure it's worth arguing about. And while it's expensive, so is locking people up (especially garbage like this that needs protective custody)--and life in prison is generally the only alternative in these cases. And for people like this, I'm glad we still have the option.

Just put the guy in general population and justice will be carried out within a couple days at most. Maybe he'll even get the Jeffrey Dahmer treatment. Not to mention the savings.
I think they should have strapped him in a backpack with a crock pot bomb inside, marched him out on the street and let a parent of the 8 yo boy detonate it. BOOM! Bye, douchebag!

I think they should have strapped him in a backpack with a crock pot bomb inside, marched him out on the street and let a parent of the 8 yo boy detonate it. BOOM! Bye, douchebag!

“We are in favor of and would support the Department of Justice in taking the death penalty off the table in exchange for the defendant spending the rest of his life in prison without any possibility of release and waiving all of his rights to appeal,” William and Denise Richard wrote in a statement published Friday on the front page of the Boston Globe.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...government-to-stop-seeking-the-death-penalty/

Posts like this really get the "Alt" antenna going. It just doesn't read like a 60+ year old wrote it.

Not trying to start anything. Not even saying it's an unreasonable thought considering the crime. Just making a comment.

Posts like this really get the "Alt" antenna going. It just doesn't read like a 60+ year old wrote it.

Not trying to start anything. Not even saying it's an unreasonable thought considering the crime. Just making a comment.
An incorrect comment. I don't have any alts. I meant every word of my post.

Such a waste of tax dollars. And they'll appeal and even more tax dollars will be wasted. They won't kill him for yrs. Just put him in a prison and let nature take its course.

We need to get out of the business of inaceratoon, rehabilitation, medication, education and recreation for predators. Let's set up camps for this element of our society and let them fend for themselves. For instance, the prosecution of those two animals in CT who raped, tortured and killed by fire 3/4 of a family has now cost the state more than 25 million. WTF. Is wrong w our society .........

People do realize that defendants who aren't sentenced to death have a right to appeal too, right?

If the death penalty is abolished, those same rights of appeal would simply be transferred over to life without parole and the abolitionist movement will shift its focus from capital punishment to life imprisonment.

Don't believe me? It's already happening in Europe and elsewhere.

I don't get this big push to "end incarceration". What do these liberals want? No prisons? No laws? Murder should be legal? Do they even know what they want? Or is it just a cool thing to protest law enforcement these days so they do it?

I don't get this big push to "end incarceration". What do these liberals want? No prisons? No laws? Murder should be legal? Do they even know what they want? Or is it just a cool thing to protest law enforcement these days so they do it?

Rehabilitation as opposed to jail time when it comes to non-violent crime, specifically drug offenses. Pretty simple

A very small percentage of people are in prison for drug offenses. Most imprisoned people are for violent crimes, property crimes, or parole violations.

Are people really upset this piece of shit is being put to death? Seriously or is this just an opportunity for coordinated social outrage? Anymore I can't determine what's real or the cause du jour.

I'm okay with all of this as long as we can admit that the death penalty is not a deterrent for future offenders and it's primary purpose is not punishment but rather the continuation of the myth of redemptive violence. "Power" cannot exist without threat of violence.

Bad people will always do bad things. Agree the death penalty alters nothing in this regard. However, I don't care. For offenders who attempt to kill multiple innocents i'm simply looking for an outcome. You want to send him to life in solitary - fine. Tie him to the pole in the yard and have him raped for 100 straight days - all good. Death penalty, also fine. Any of those options good in my book. This guy should have due process. Once that is complete I'm good with whatever costs taxpayers the least amount of money and is the most miserable experience for the criminal.

ND, I also believe it represents a form of justice to those close to the aggrieved. It's not about power and power only. It's about due process and the requirements of being a member of society. Once you cross the pre-meditated line you lose your rites in cases as dramatic as this. Your view is too simplistic in my view and does not account for the needs of those left to grieve such a horrific act. It's an eye-for-eye. In this case, I believe that's appropriate. For me, that's what this is about, not power. Because as you stated, this does nothing to stop those few, truly awful people who choose mass killings of innocents. That's not power but justice.

Last edited:
True justice is a little more complicated than balancing the checkbook of harm done. I would argue that chopping this guys head off or stretching his neck or pumping the latest designer poison into his veins doesn't change heal the pain of the act. Even if the victims tell you that it does there, Hammurabi.

Those who use criticisms of how the death penalty is carried out as the reason why it shouldn't have been used are using the wrong avenue to make this argument. I'm all for making it less costly and more efficient, but if anyone deserves the fullest extent of the law its him.

If as a society we want to figure out if this should be an option, I'll gladly have this discussion as well.

True justice is a little more complicated than balancing the checkbook of harm done. I would argue that chopping this guys head off or stretching his neck or pumping the latest designer poison into his veins doesn't change heal the pain of the act. Even if the victims tell you that it does there, Hammurabi.
Chopping heads off or stretching his neck is for animals. No one is suggesting either of those acts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT