ADVERTISEMENT

TV Tech question

Doctor_Van

All VUSports.com Team
May 20, 2014
LED or Plasma? I kid, I kid.

Serious question. want to mount an new flat screen in bedroom. nothing currently in there. Cable outlet is on opposite wall (behind bed) of where I would mount the tv. I would prefer to not have to put an HD cable box on top of my wife's dresser which would also necessitate running a wire around half of the room. What are my options for keeping a cable box somewhere else out of sight and wiring to a minimum?

coax_illo.jpg

LED or Plasma? I kid, I kid.

Serious question. want to mount an new flat screen in bedroom. nothing currently in there. Cable outlet is on opposite wall (behind bed) of where I would mount the tv. I would prefer to not have to put an HD cable box on top of my wife's dresser which would also necessitate running a wire around half of the room. What are my options for keeping a cable box somewhere else out of sight and wiring to a minimum?
Any cable outlets on the other side of the bedroom wall (where you want to mount it)? If there is, that might be easier to extend the cable from to create a new outlet plug, instead of using the existing spot behind the bed.

Any cable outlets on the other side of the bedroom wall (where you want to mount it)? If there is, that might be easier to extend the cable from to create a new outlet plug, instead of using the existing spot behind the bed.
The other thing you can do if Tom's suggestion isn't viable is to hook the bedroom TV to an Apple TV or Amazon Fire TV running off the signal from your home's WiFi network. The amount of programming on those types of boxes is growing exponentially so there's plenty to watch.

TJC's suggestion is a good one. Depending upon what you watch and how much tv you watch in your bedroom it might be the path of least resistance.

You can also get alittle complicated and use a wireless HDMI box, where you put the cable box under your bed, attach the wireless HDMI transmitter to it, and then hide the hdmi receiver (depending on the type you get) behind the TV on the mount. You'd also need an infrared extender cable which are relatively cheap.

You could also call the cable guy (if you have fios its $60) to run a new line to the other side of your room and just tuck the cable box in the mount. Similar to this picture
78665n-cable.jpg

pretty sure Dish has infrared sensors you can attach to the TV and put all your boxes in a storage closet like a bar set up if you go want to go that route.

wall mount the TV and then leave the plate/stand on the TV and use some industrial velcro to mount a wireless receiver box to the bottom of the plate/stand upside down.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT