ADVERTISEMENT

Two game sweep weekly wrap-up

tpenter

Diaper Dandy
Nov 27, 2005
Ohter considerations kept me from the games and reporting this past week - catching up with things today.

After that perplexing loss to Marquette last week, the team got some balance back by beating Seton Hall and Georgetown in convincing fashion. The walkover against the Hall was no surprise, but as wev'e seen, this year's team is capable of losing to anyone on the schedule.

On Wednesday night, Nova jumped on Seton Hall to run out to a 13-0 lead five and a half minutes in, with threes from Carey and Burford, a conventential three from Holman and two layups from Sweeney. SH finally got untracked a bit to close to 20-13, but three more threes from Carey, Leer and Kane took us to the locker room up 30-15. It was more of the same for the first 8 minutes into the second half with Nova outscoring SH by 19-4 to go up 49-19 and coasted from there. Sweeney had 14 with 6 boards, 5 steals and 3 blocks, Kane had 12 on perfect 5-5 shooting, Burford 9 on 3-4 from outside the arc, and Carey collected 8 on 3-3 shooting. Overall 23-49 shooting (9-19 on threes), 14 assists and 10 turnovers. A very balanced attack, great defensive stands and generally doing what we should have done against a relatively poor SH team.

Saturday's outcome was more of a surprise. Georgetown was playing with a somewhat depleted roster, but still had Sugar Rogers on the court. Nova once again came out in defensive lockdown mode, getting 2 turnovers and limiting the Hoyas to only 5 shots in the first four minutes, holding them scoreless. Unfortunately, we were only able to make 2 of 8 during that stretch and led by only 5-4 after two Hoya buckets. After trading some buckets to still lead by 12-9 at the 10 minute mark (a common Nova game score at that point in a lot of games), the offense heated up from three point land. A layup by Sweeney and then seven consecutive threes by Pearson, Roberts, Burford, Leer, Burford and Burford again and finally Roberts again blew the game open at the half, leading 35-14, ending the half on a 23-5 barrage. After the Sweeney layup we took no shots from inside the arc, shooting 7-8 on threes to end the half.

Nova cooled off significantly in the second hafl, scoring only 22 points, but Georgetown closed the gap to inside of 20 only in the last few minutes as Sugar Rogers finally got her game going, scoring most of her game-high 21 in the last seven minutes. Game totals, Nova 20-57 overall, with 15-39 on threes and only 5 baskets from inside the arc. 17 assists and only 7 turnovers. Burford led with 15 on 5-12 three point shooting. Sweeney had 11, 9 boards, 5 steals and 2 blocks. Roberts picked up 9 points on 3-5 three balls. A fine overall performance although heavily weighted on the three point shooting. Not much attempt to get things inside as the perimeter was open all day with lots of passing around the outside and cross court.

Off until Sunday when #10 Louisville comes into the Pavilion. A top-20 win over Louisville would probably get us into the NCAA and we did play them close both games last year. Still a tall order to accomplish. A loss to Louisville and we are probably looking at needing two more wins out of the remaining games against St. Johns, Syracuse and Providence to get a sixth or seventh place finish in the Big East and any consideration for an NCAA bid unless we upset one of the big boys in the BE tournament.

Added link to PhilaHoopsW article about Nova-GT game and the current situation at Rutgers. Too bad we could not have pulled out the win over RU or the heat would really be on in South Brunswick.
This post was edited on 2/17 11:38 AM by tpenter

PhillyhoopsW game story

I started reviewing these wins after our men's game yesterday surprised that no one had mentioned the Seton Hall game 63-34 win on Wedesday. Sweeney 14, 6 boards, 3 assists, 3 blocks and 5 steals; Kane 12, 3 boards, 2assists, and 2 steals; Burford 9, 1 board, 3 assists, Holman 5, 2 boards, 1 assist, 1 steal. Carey 8, 2 boards, 2 assists, Leer 6, 2 boards.

In Saturday's GTown 57-44 win we scored 15 treys getting us to 17-7, 6-5 BE. We were up 35-14 at the half. Buford 15, Sweeney 11, 9 boards,
7 assists. 15 of 20 field goals were treys. Burford 8 treys in last two games. 15 treys ties a high for this year. Sweeney had her 4th 5 steal game of the season.

With the men's UConn 70-61 win yesterday they are now 16-10, 7-5 BE.

Seton Hall looked like they just flat gave-up for the season.
They are losing Donovan, their coach this season...
and I wonder how much effect that has on their play...
It is hard to believe that the team we played beat beat anybody let alone Rutgers.

We probably could have beaten them by 30.

It was like playing a high school team or at best, a bunch of freshmen.

Georgetown...
I would have guessed that Sweeney had more than 5 steals.
She seemed to burst out of the pack with the ball more than that.

It was truly a joy to watch us make all those 3's. It is just so much fun watching that kind of exhibition.
Now that they realize that they can do that again I hope they keep it up for the remainder of the season.

Men's basketball Record? Villanova has a men's team? Hmmmmm, Is that something new?

Be Nice, Just Me! The men's team has actually done well after a horrendous start and may well make the NCAA with a few more wins. Re Georgetown - the 15 threes were nice, but we need more balance in our attack. Once the threes stopped falling we had no offense in the second half, scrambling to score 22 points. When we make threes, the defense should open up and allow for drives, cutters, backdoors and inside feeds. We did virtually none of that in the entire game.

Good New, Bad News. The latest Charlie Creme Bracketology has Nova women still in the tournament as an eight seed, playing Illinois in Waco. The Bad news? If we win, we get to play Baylor on their home court. No problem, eh?

We shot 2 foul shots against Georgetown. We are not aggressive enough on offense, if we were we would be going to the line more often. NCAA is sweet no matter where or who you play. Waco is a little further than the last time when we went to Maryland at College Park.

When our family owned a home in Havertown until 2000,
I had many more opportunites to see the LadyCats then I
do now. I saw the pre-Pennefather LadyCats any number
of times. Shelley P's father and I were good friends.

I have a question that many might object to since it deals
with comparitive scores. In our game with the Lady Huskies,
thet were so dominate athletically, that the game was over in
five minutes; we could not even get started in running our sets.
I believe that ND beat UConn, and we played ND tough. How could
that have happened?

I will be at the Dome early in March. I have a stronge dislike for
coach of the Orange women's coach. The Empire State Games
were once a big summer event up here. The team was chosen, and it
included at least four players from SU. They were all dsimissed prior
to the games for behavior that for conduct that might be described as not
"lady like." Draw your own conclusions. One year that coach played us
in a soft zone; I hope he does it again in March.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT