ADVERTISEMENT

UNC List of "Microaggressions"

bmoneynova

VUSports.com Legend
Oct 21, 2005
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/jun/26/university-of-north-carolina-saying-christmas-vaca/

Under the “Religion” tab, the guidebook says organizing vacations around Christian holidays further “centers the Christian faith and minimizes non-Christian spiritual rituals and observances.”

With regard to “gender” microaggressions, the guidelines discourage comments such as “I love your shoes!” to female colleagues or otherwise complimenting the appearance of women.

To compliment a woman on her appearance, the guidance warns, is essentially to say, “I notice how you look and dress more than I value your intellectual contributions. How you look is really important.”

The guide also discourages staff from inviting others to play a “round of golf,” which assumes “employees have the financial resources/exposure to a fairly expensive and inaccessible sport.”

On the matter of race, telling someone that you “don’t see color” is equivalent to “minimizing/denying a person of color’s racial/ethnic experiences,” the guide says.

Microaggressions against “sexual orientation” include using the terms “husband” or “boyfriend” when addressing a female colleague, or “wife” or “girlfriend” when addressing a male colleague, instead of the asexual “partner” or “spouse.”

This, the taxpayer-funded university warns, sets “the expectation that people do not identify as LGBTQ until they say otherwise or disclose their sexual orientation.”

At faculty award ceremonies, be sure not to ask honorees to “stand and be recognized” for their achievements, which assumes “that everyone is able in this way and ignores the diversity of ability in the space.”

what the hell are we turning into!?

what staff member of a college faculty is too poor to play golf? even the most marginal secretaries (is that term going to be added to the microagression list?) are well paid and have gr8 benefits.

what staff member of a college faculty is too poor to play golf? even the most marginal secretaries (is that term going to be added to the microagression list?) are well paid and have gr8 benefits.
I know plenty unfortunately.

Sigh. Not everyone grew up with the socioeconomic privilege to learn to play golf. Asking them to "play" a "round" of golf may trigger childhood trauma of growing up in those conditions.

Say I'm christening my new sloop on Sunday at the yacht club, is it wrong for me to ask my caddy if he wants mow my lawn? What if I tell him to come by the club after? Am I allowed to be upset when I later find him banging my slutty niece?

Reactions: tomjackleman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT