ADVERTISEMENT

Universal DH

NovaHoops2002

VUSports.com All-American
Sep 28, 2009
A lot of buzz on this topic after Wainwright injures his achilles batting and is out for year. Also, Scherzer to miss a start after injuring his thumb batting. Every year there are injuries to pitchers batting so this is nothing new. What are your thoughts on the universal DH? I am torn. While I think it makes a lot of sense and will definitely increase offense, I have always enjoyed the NL game of moving runners with sac bunts, double switches, pinch hitting, and even the pitchers that can rake (Travis Wood, Madison Bumgarner, Carlos Zambrano etc).

Bumgarner had some great responses to Scherzer whining about pitchers hitting.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/1...rtion-national-league-adopt-designated-hitter

I would watch significantly less baseball if the NL adopted the DH.

The DH intuitively add time to a game, which seems to be an issue for a lot of people that want the DH.

is it that hard to run to first base without tearing a ligament? OR how about if the pitcher just goes up and takes all the pitches, he either walks or strikes out. at least he doesnt get hurt.

I hate the DH with a passion, one of the worst things to happen to the game. Thank God it's not in the Senior Circuit, but I would be really upset if they changed it.

I like how everyone always brings up David Ortiz when citing why the DH is good. The guy has a career OPS of 924 and 470 home runs. If there was no DH, Ortiz would have an everyday job regardless of how crappy of a fielder he is. The best designated hitters would have every day jobs if there was no DH, they are just too good at hitting. The average DH or bad DH would be marginalized, but they are marginal anyways.

Bumgarner owned Scherzer so bad in the interview. The man is a national treasure (complete bias).

There shouldn't even be debate on this. Watching pitchers bat is infuriating, pitchers are getting worse at hitting, and in over 40 years, the designated hitter hasn't made the AL game unrecognizable.

Bumgarner nails it. Real baseball fans appreciate the NL game. Scherzer is a pu$$y and should just sack up.

Interesting that Wainwright now has something in common with the Big Piece though (tearing Achilles running out of the batter's box).

The game is far more interesting without the DH. I was watching the Met/yankee game this year and forgot the DH was in play when we came up on the end of our lineup. Was thinking about all the situations that can come up when the pitcher is coming up, just a shame the AL still uses that rule. Cheats fans of some of the best parts of the game.

There shouldn't even be debate on this. Watching pitchers bat is infuriating, pitchers are getting worse at hitting, and in over 40 years, the designated hitter hasn't made the AL game unrecognizable.

Well why didn't you say so. Here I've had the wrong opinion this entire time!

Anyone who argues that pro basketball is better because of better competition should be 100% in agreement with the DH.

How do pitchers get that bad at hitting? Do they just not work on it at all in their several years in the minors? Does the risk of injury outweigh the rewards?

Pro position players bat every day for about 20 years before they make the Bigs -- and most (at least this year) hit between .225-.325. For pitchers -- who only get the chance 1/5 days -- it's actually pretty impressive that they are able to bat between .100-.150.

I realize that it's hard, but at least pick up a bat while you're spending 5 years in 8th-rate minor league cities.

Discussion topic:
Are every day players better pitchers than pitchers are hitters?

This is actually a good question and I think it's hard to answer. I love seeing position players pitch (obviously they usually get rocked). I'd like to see the BABIP for all position players who have pitched the last 5 years versus average starter.

Just as starting pitchers hopelessly wave at curveballs, batters are licking their chops at meatballs right down the middle. Sometimes pitchers get lucky, sometimes hitters just get under the ball.

Are teams doing their pitchers a disservice by not giving them ABs in the minors? Or would they just be stealing experience from their position guys when the pitchers are going to suck at hitting anyway?

I would guess that most MLB SS/3B can hit mid to high 80s on the radar gun.

I read somewhere that former crappy Met Ike Davis was clocked at 88 mph when he made a relief appearance a few weeks ago.

I also heard a rumor that Starling Marte was clocked at 100 mph on a throw from the outfield to home. Not sure how true that is though.

I would watch significantly less baseball if the NL adopted the DH.

The DH intuitively add time to a game, which seems to be an issue for a lot of people that want the DH.

I would watch less also - if it were possible to watch less than nothing.

Its not as though the DH's around the league are overly impressive. I find the strategy of working around pitchers to be much more interesting than watching some fatty at the plate. Last year there were 5 AL DHs that hit more than 10 HR and 3 AL DH's had more than 1 WAR. Yawn.

AL is the UFC of baseball. I won't be buying an Affliction shirt if the NL changes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT