ADVERTISEMENT

Villanova @ Fordham

0-2 would be an awful way to start a season with so much preseason hype. Villanova is a quality team, but as much as my heart is with them they are overrated when ranked in top 5. The fanfare around Robertson and Cherry silenced the obvious offensive deficiencies this team has to start the season.
I'm not saying they can't put it together, but the offensive line isn't in sync and it won't get better with starting RT Jake Prus out to tend to his admirable deed as a bone marrow donor. His probable replacement is a true frosh Ethan Greenidge who at 6'5' 330lbs. could be a star in due time. I haven't heard a thing about starting RB Gary Underwood's injury status and I bet it will be a game time decision to keep Fordham guessing. His potential absence will put the pressure on 2 talented, but unproven backs in RS junior Javon White (8-26 vs. UConn) & sophomore Matt Gudzak (1-3 vs. UConn). I would think true freshman Aaron Forbes will be the 3rd back. Forbes is the future and spurned a late offer from Vanderbilt.
The receivers have to step it up with the exception of Senior Kevin Gulyas (4-64 vs. UConn) there are a lot of question marks. Talented, but still question marks. John Robertson, reigning Walter Payton Award winner, surley misses diminutive WR Poppy Livers, RB Kevin Monangai (recent Eagles cut), & TE Ernest Pettway.
The kicking game which haunted Villanova in each of their 3 losses last season remains problematic as a 24 yard FG was missed at UConn. Villanova avoids FG opportunities at a disturbing rate.
I maintain that anyone who watches this team on a regular basis knows that the defense has a chance to be among the FCS best. 9 starters returned including the tackling machine MLB Don Cherry. Pro scouts are beginning to drool over DE Tanoh Kpassanon (6'7" 270lbs.) who has legit 4.7 speed. They have a bunch of better than average DBs with junior Jason Ceneus & Sophomore Malik Reeves standing out. Veteran safeties Cam McCurry (10 tkls. vs. UConn) & Matt McCann are a solid tandem.
I'm hoping that Fordham comes down to earth from an impressive win over Army. I thought this game was going to be a layup over the summer. No longer. This is going to be a very good test for both.

GT, your assessment of the game in another thread was right on, honest but fair. Defense can be tops in the FCS. Offense has a long way to go, though it looked better on the TV replay than it felt in person.

IMO, coaches need to help the offense early in the season by using the no huddle to create an advantage (tire the defense, limit substitutions) until a playmaker and/or an offensive personality emerges. While you're right that many of JR's targets graduated (Livers, Monangai, Medley, Pettway, Horne), anyone at the game on Thursday knows there were several plays where an open reciever wasn't seen. You have to believe that was a one game anomaly.

Fordham offense looks above average, Fordham defense below average. So strength against strength, Weakness against weakness. The Defense is loaded with leaders. The Offense is young. Time for Robertson to put the Offense on his back and play with the confidence and intensity he did last year. Should be a good game but barring any injuries we don't already know about, Villanova pulls away late.

GT, your assessment of the game in another thread was right on, honest but fair. Defense can be tops in the FCS. Offense has a long way to go, though it looked better on the TV replay than it felt in person.

IMO, coaches need to help the offense early in the season by using the no huddle to create an advantage (tire the defense, limit substitutions) until a playmaker and/or an offensive personality emerges. While you're right that many of JR's targets graduated (Livers, Monangai, Medley, Pettway, Horne), anyone at the game on Thursday knows there were several plays where an open reciever wasn't seen. You have to believe that was a one game anomaly.

Fordham offense looks above average, Fordham defense below average. So strength against strength, Weakness against weakness. The Defense is loaded with leaders. The Offense is young. Time for Robertson to put the Offense on his back and play with the confidence and intensity he did last year. Should be a good game but barring any injuries we don't already know about, Villanova pulls away late.
Gangletackel and 525 you made this a very interesting thread. Thanks.

Anyone know which section the tickets sold to season ticket holders are in? I just found out I can go to the game so will try to get a ticket near the Villanova section.

0-2 would be an awful way to start a season with so much preseason hype. Villanova is a quality team, but as much as my heart is with them they are overrated when ranked in top 5. The fanfare around Robertson and Cherry silenced the obvious offensive deficiencies this team has to start the season.
I'm not saying they can't put it together, but the offensive line isn't in sync and it won't get better with starting RT Jake Prus out to tend to his admirable deed as a bone marrow donor. His probable replacement is a true frosh Ethan Greenidge who at 6'5' 330lbs. could be a star in due time. I haven't heard a thing about starting RB Gary Underwood's injury status and I bet it will be a game time decision to keep Fordham guessing. His potential absence will put the pressure on 2 talented, but unproven backs in RS junior Javon White (8-26 vs. UConn) & sophomore Matt Gudzak (1-3 vs. UConn). I would think true freshman Aaron Forbes will be the 3rd back. Forbes is the future and spurned a late offer from Vanderbilt.
The receivers have to step it up with the exception of Senior Kevin Gulyas (4-64 vs. UConn) there are a lot of question marks. Talented, but still question marks. John Robertson, reigning Walter Payton Award winner, surley misses diminutive WR Poppy Livers, RB Kevin Monangai (recent Eagles cut), & TE Ernest Pettway.
The kicking game which haunted Villanova in each of their 3 losses last season remains problematic as a 24 yard FG was missed at UConn. Villanova avoids FG opportunities at a disturbing rate.
I maintain that anyone who watches this team on a regular basis knows that the defense has a chance to be among the FCS best. 9 starters returned including the tackling machine MLB Don Cherry. Pro scouts are beginning to drool over DE Tanoh Kpassanon (6'7" 270lbs.) who has legit 4.7 speed. They have a bunch of better than average DBs with junior Jason Ceneus & Sophomore Malik Reeves standing out. Veteran safeties Cam McCurry (10 tkls. vs. UConn) & Matt McCann are a solid tandem.
I'm hoping that Fordham comes down to earth from an impressive win over Army. I thought this game was going to be a layup over the summer. No longer. This is going to be a very good test for both.

GT - think you overlooked frosh McClenton (3-9 UConn) as option for running back. in any case, Phl Inq reports today "Wildcats will be without the services of...Underwood for the foreseeable future..." "Abnormalities in his MRI"

It will probably be RB by committee the rest of the way. McClenton for speed. Gudzak and White as dual threats to pick up the receiving yards Underwood would have had. Forbes on short yardage and GL ... maybe more. Coach 'em up.

Really sorry to hear about Underwood, hopefully the kid will recover and get back in the lineup soon. It looks like the weather might put a damper on the game tomorrow as well. Not a good start to the weekend.

Really sorry to hear about Underwood, hopefully the kid will recover and get back in the lineup soon. It looks like the weather might put a damper on the game tomorrow as well. Not a good start to the weekend.
Underwood out until, at least, W&M home game on Oct 10. Team will REALLY miss his leadership. With out Prus ,for a great reason, Cats minus two offensive starters. Right tackle is so important. From a team that did not look good vs UConn.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT