ADVERTISEMENT

VU vs. Sam Houston St.

ROMEOCAT

All VUSports.com Team
Aug 11, 2002
SHSU upset seeded Jacksonville State today after winning their 1st round game last week. I'm guessing that because we are seeded #6, we'll be playing at home again next week, or am I wrong??

At home, either Fri night or Sat afternoon vs KC Keeler.
GO CATS

OT: The only thing I know about Sam Houston State athletics
Is the ladies bowling team was a student of mine many years ago
here in Central NY. His name is Brad Hagan and he worked in the pro
shop at Canasawacta Country Club in the summers. I think his team
won the Division I NCAA championship recently.

This program is very, very strong. Played for FCS title after the 2011 and 2012 seasons. Lost both times to NoDakota St.
Cats will have their hands full.

BTW while Sam has not won a national title their current coach has. While at Delaware he won in2003 beating Colgate. Colgate may very well be the weakest team to play for a national title. Delaware 40 - Gate 0
This post was edited on 12/7 2:34 PM by UncleEd

Very, very, very good program. One of the best. Up there with the stoned brookers and fordham.

No shame in losing to this formidable opponent. One of the best in the business. We should all just feel privileged that we are even allowed to step on the field with such a proud athletic program. Maybe one day thhey will offer nova a chance to play a road game in basketball at this mighty school.

I am sure the villanova faithful will pack the stands for this game.

I was at the first Championship game between Sam Houston State and NDSU. At the time they were a very big team. I would expect a roster with several BCS transfers.

They travelled well to Frisco as they should but I doubt they will show in numbers to Villanova. NDSU travels really well and easily outnumbers Sam Houston at the game.

I just may have to show for the game on Saturday. If i do I'll have my Villanova Texan Shirt on!

Game is Saturday at 1 pm at Villanova & live on ESPN3. Game won't conflict with Temple-VU hoops contest at 2 pm Sunday.
We're also attending the Blue White Club Christmas party on Saturday night, topping this week's DH with a Triple Header. Gotta love this time of year!!!

ball I thought you were gone. Get a clue dude. Move on

"The next question is whether there will be a game time conflict on Dec. 20th between the Syracuse BB game (1PM EST) and the Villonova vs. North Dekota State/Coastal Carolina winner FB game. If it's 7th seeded Carolina it should be a Nova home game."

PCH

Not so fast buddy, y'all have one heck of a team coming to town Saturday.

Not too familiar with the Nova football program, but hopefully y'all can change that :)

This season has been one crazy roller-coaster ride. Our team is gelling at the right time, but this game is going to be a slugfest. We know your QB is one of the best in the FCS, question is, does the offense completely run through him? If he has an off day, can your run game step up and carry the load?

I ask because this is exactly how our offense is. Our offense goes as JJ goes, and we're not too sure which one will show up Saturday. If the good JJ shows up, it's going to be one heck of a game.

Few tidbits about our team... We have a three headed monster rushing attack, #3 Keyshawn Hill #10 Jalen Overstreet and #24 Donavan Williams. All three guys have big play potential and will be rotated in as the game progresses. We have an athletic O-line and big receivers. Another guy to keep an eye out for is #9 yedi Louis, great playmaker in open field.

But like I mentioned before, it will all depend on our QB play.

Defense has been playing out of their mind the last two games. It starts with this freshman, #92 P.J. Hall. Kids a stud, and we'll need him in y'alls backfield to pressure your QB. Our linebackers are a bit undersized, but are ball hawks.

We know what y'alls QB can do. If we can't get to him, y'all will have a field day.

Looking forward to chatting with yall as the week progresses. Wish all the fans safe travels and hoping for a clean, injury free game. If y'all have any highlights to share, I would greatly appreciate it.

Sam Houston is an interesting case. They started the season 0-3 and have come back strong. They even lost to a D2 as 1 of those 3 losses along with an FBS loss and loss at EWash to open the season.

As usual, KC has stocked the team with transfers. 21 transfers on the roster. Took them time to gel but he has them playing well.

Got to see KC's schtick at UD for 9 years. In short, the guy can be amazing egotistical and a pain in the ass if you must deal with him. But he obviously can coach up a football team.

Should be a fun game.

Originally posted by Samalum2010:

"The next question is whether there will be a game time conflict on Dec. 20th between the Syracuse BB game (1PM EST) and the Villonova vs. North Dekota State/Coastal Carolina winner FB game. If it's 7th seeded Carolina it should be a Nova home game."

PCH

Not so fast buddy, y'all have one heck of a team coming to town Saturday.

Not too familiar with the Nova football program, but hopefully y'all can change that :)

This season has been one crazy roller-coaster ride. Our team is gelling at the right time, but this game is going to be a slugfest. We know your QB is one of the best in the FCS, question is, does the offense completely run through him? If he has an off day, can your run game step up and carry the load?

I ask because this is exactly how our offense is. Our offense goes as JJ goes, and we're not too sure which one will show up Saturday. If the good JJ shows up, it's going to be one heck of a game.

Few tidbits about our team... We have a three headed monster rushing attack, #3 Keyshawn Hill #10 Jalen Overstreet and #24 Donavan Williams. All three guys have big play potential and will be rotated in as the game progresses. We have an athletic O-line and big receivers. Another guy to keep an eye out for is #9 yedi Louis, great playmaker in open field.

But like I mentioned before, it will all depend on our QB play.

Defense has been playing out of their mind the last two games. It starts with this freshman, #92 P.J. Hall. Kids a stud, and we'll need him in y'alls backfield to pressure your QB. Our linebackers are a bit undersized, but are ball hawks.

We know what y'alls QB can do. If we can't get to him, y'all will have a field day.

Looking forward to chatting with yall as the week progresses. Wish all the fans safe travels and hoping for a clean, injury free game. If y'all have any highlights to share, I would greatly appreciate it.
Samalum.....thanks for the info.......look forward to the game this weekend.....hope the weather is better than last Sat. Most of what you say is correct......Robertson is a heck of a QB in all respects.....played 4-5 games with a cast on his non-throwing hand, and still put up unbelievable numbers. As expected, we don't know much about your team, but, you don't get to the 2nd rd of the playoffs by accident. We welcome you to the philly suburbs, and for those coming north, have a safe trip.

I believe the amount of transfers this year is a bit of an anomaly. A majority of those transfers where there already, and I recall KC bringing in two at WR and two at RB. I'd have to go look at the roster again though. Also, it was a horrible time for a coaching hire (I guess it always is though). When the KC hire was made official, he had very very little time to look at the recruiting class and was still trying to put together the majority of his coaching staff during and after the national signing day.

I'd expect our transfer numbers to go down over the next coupe years. From what I gathered about KC, he likes the transfer QB's. Interesting that he didn't bring one in and our current QB is a sophomore.

What kind of weather should our team be expecting?

I know two years ago, Montana St. and EWU talked a lot of smack about how we wouldn't be able to handle the cold. Didn't seem to bother our guys much.

What's the injury report look like for Nova? We lost our starting TE to a knee injury, and a couple of our guys were battling flu like symptoms last weekend.

Forgive me for being ignorant on Nova's X's and O's. Hopefully i'll have some time to look over stats tonight. I've been told y'all run a 3-3 stack on D, but interested on y'alls offensive formations.

Welcome, samalum2010.

It is a gr8 honour to go up against your three headed monster. I just hope our boys represent themselves with pride.

On another note, villanova also has a basketball team. You can watch all their games on national television with fantastic high definition pixel resolution and the best broadcasting crew in the business courtesy of fox sports 1. You should check it out.

He is the biggest troll in the history of message boards. He goes by about a million different accounts bc they always get banned and he creates new ones. Yes. Ignore.

Last time Nova played a team from Texas in the postseason, they destroyed Stephen F Austin on their own field. Hoping for similar results this week, but expect a very close game. SHSU is a highly respected program, although, Talley has destroyed Keeler in the past decade.

Sam Houston St. has made a great turnaround this season and should not be overlooked. At this point in the playoffs anyone can win but Villanova does well at home, 8-1 in past playoff games including 3 on the way to the 2009 national championship. Like our chances with QB John Robertson, a Payton award finalist this season with main competition the E. Washington QB. Some key players still banged up don't know if they'll be back this weekend. Don't know anything about SHS soph QB but he's going up against Villanova's all time yardage leader. Equally talented at running and passing.

I saw the SH-Eastern Washington game on ESPN. Not pretty. If I know KC, they are stocked with transfers from FBS schools. I've driven past Sam Houston State along the highway from Bush Intercontinental to College Station. The paper mache statue of Sam Houston is about 60 feet high and illuminated at night like the beacon of Texas Freedom it represents. Go the other way and you drive past Prairie View, and the beacon of Texas Segregation it represents. Definately less impressive. Or you can stay right downtown Houston and watch them tear down Rice Stadium one section at a time, Rice Stadium is the beacon of SWC disintegration (not to be confused with Love Field, the beacon of Texas hospitality it represents, or the Astrodome, the beacon of a single commodity economy it represents; or the brand new Beacon- the DFW International Airport hotel where they destroyed the Big XII last Sunday. Oh I forgot, Memphis and Cincinasty as coming aboard to "save" the Big XII. But welcome to Philly, just the same. If you stay over Sunday, you can watch yet another Romo choke. How ironic, KC and Romo both coming to town the same weekend.

This post was edited on 12/8 2:11 PM by DCFRANKLIN

I think JR will have to be elite JR for us to win this. If he is mediocre we will lose. When you get to this time of the season you take nothing for granted, and you need your best players to play a high level. Both coaches know each other, both coaches have won a National Championship. I like that Talley has a 6-2 record over KC.

It will be a fun game. I hope we come out victorious. We have the best player on the field, but in football it takes more than 1 player. Robertson won the Jerry Rice award, and he is 1 of 2 favorites for the Walter Payton....we need him to play at that level. Lets get this done.
This post was edited on 12/8 4:59 PM by emcee92

This post was edited on 12/8 7:02 PM by emcee92

Great info Samalum! Should be a great game, key of the game could very well come down to how the O-Line does against Sam Houston State's defense. I know during the first half, JR looked like he was running for his life against Liberty's defense.

Watched replay of the Sam Houston vs Jacksonville game on ESPN3. QB Johnson is ok but no Robertson. RB Hill has been out with a concussion and may not be back this week. Biggest threat in this game was TCU transfer Brown a 6'5" receiver who caught a couple to TDs. Have another good receiver in Jenkins, I believe. Impression is that both offensive and defensive lines of SHS are undersized compared to the teams I've seen Nova play on TV this year. This should be key for our fired up O & D lines. In addition they had to use their second team punter and and kick off man and he was short on a number of kicks which should lead to a short field for Nova a few times. Jacksonville self destructed with a least 12 penalties and utilizing man coverage against the two superior SHS receivers. If fact it was hard to see how Jacksonville won 10 games and was seeded #3 based upon this game.

I'd say KC Keeler's Delaware teams were usually better the this team. It looks like Andy has KC's number.

If you are basing this off of looking at the SHSU roster then you are not getting a true picture of their size. The SHSU roster is not correct info.

- Jared Johnson is not a Walter Payton candidate yet, but he completely has that potential. He gets in the open field, it will be hard to catch him.

-Keshawn Hill will be back. He had a slight concussion against SE La and was ready to play last week. He left the game with flu like symptoms as did the starting kicker. They will both be ready. All three backs rushed for over 600 yds, plus Johnson rushed for over 600 as well. Kat starting punter went down with a knee injury in the SE La game which was a tough one to lose. He was one of the top punters in the nation (44 yd avg) before injury. Backup punter Edwards is very capable, just a different style punter. He can put punts inside 20 on a consistent basis.

- Kat receivers will be key again in this game. Brown (6-4,225, TCU transfer) and Derek Edwards (6-2,195, Tx Tech transfer) are on the outside and can dominate if JJ has the time to throw. But, the two small guys are the ones to keep up with. Yedidiah Louis and Gerald Thomas are both very quick and elusive. Louis is a just a freshman and was a nominee for Jerry Rice Award at one point in the season.

-As far as the Off and Def lines, they are probably not as big as some of the CAA teams, but they aren't small. If you are judging their size by looking at the SHSU roster then you are not getting a true picture of how big they are. But, with that being said, they are all quick and move very well. Jax St and SE La both had some big guys in the trenches. Sam Houston came out ok in both. As a matter of fact, JSU defense had only been giving up a little over a 100 yds rushing for the season, Kats O rolled up 241 on them.

- The defensive line is very athletic and will create a lot of chaos up front. DT Jacobi Hunter (6-3,300) and Sione Latu (6-2,295). Both will be in the backfield. But, PJ Hall is the one the OL will have to contend with. He has been a one man wrecking crew. For the season, Hall, who is just a FRESHMAN, has 77 tackles, 27 tackles for loss, 9 sacks, 5 blocked kicks, 3 forced fumbles, 7 pass breakups and 1 interception. Keep an eye on #92.

JSU fans and SE La fans both said the same thing and both were top 10 run defenses. Kats put 150yds on SE La (without Hill) and 241 yds (without Hill second half). Kat O will run, run and run some more.

Talk is cheap....

Sam Houston thinks (rightfully so) they will win the game....Nova thinks they will win.

This game will come down to execution.

I haven't seen SHSU play at all this year so I am not one to comment on any of their players or style. All I know is they will have to be very good to beat us on Saturday if we play our "A" game. JR is a winner. My biggest concern is our kicker. We would be undefeated if he could hit FG's. That is the way I could see us losing in a tight game.

Buckle them up and play

JSU was over rated. Nova has a super corps of LBs, even with the recent injures. Don Cherry # 44 gets a ton of recognition and he is truly an All-American. But Cats are very deep at LB.
No team will have success running the ball against Nova.

While Nova's run defense is probably one of the best in FCS, and incomparable to SE LA and Jacks St., I am still concerned with the pass defense. SHSU will run the ball, we know that, but I think they could have tremendous success passing the ball. Nova's corners are the weakest part of the defense, and not sure how successful they will be in this game.

Sam Houston State had a pretty weak schedule....Incarnate Word?? Houston Baptist?? Abilene Christian?? I think they lost to a DII team. That could have been Abilene Christian. I think if Villanova plays their game, they win comfortably.

Mouph - I agree about the pass defense. We have some very young DBs. I think we start a true frosh . Kid has a lot of up side but is young.
Then again Cats are 11 - 2 with both losses by one pt. and one of those in double OT. Seems to me no teams figured out how to beat the Cats even if we are weak on pass defense. 11 - 2

Looks like SHS got a lot stronger as the season progressed. Their QB had an outstanding day last Saturday, and if he has another one this week it will be a problem for us - if we drop extra covers that will open their running game and spread our D very thin.

SHS has played a lot of big games in the past 4 seasons, in each of which they made the playoffs, twice reaching the finals. They have won and lost vs. Montana, Eastern Washington and Montana State, programs that are generally conceded to be the FCS measuring stick west of the Mississippi . What they have not been able to do, nor has anyone else, is to handle N Dakota State. Their 1-3 start left them underseeded in the FCS Playoff field. The 2 overseeded teams, Jacksonville and Carolina will both be gone by Saturday night. It will be intereesting to see how the western teams do in the northeast, where neither SHS nor E. Washington have ever before traveled. SHS beat Stony Brook in 2011 down there in a close game. So that may be the canary in the mine shaft for VU fans looking for a ray of hope. I don't expect a close game. Whichever team breaks out first will pull away. The question is who will that team be?

No team has pulled away from Nova this season and it won't happen Saturday The Cats have pulled away and won easily 8 times this year. In the close games JR will bring them back as he did against W&M, Delaware and Liberty. Kicking was a major factor in the 1 point losses to Syracuse and Richmond, but in the Richmond game Johnnie Football had an off game. Anything is possible once a season.

SHS has some quick offensive players but Nova's defense will contain them. Cats will win in the trenches. Don't think this years SHS team has the experience of the past three, two of which were crushed by ND St. in the finals of 2011 and 2012.

This post was edited on 12/10 12:38 AM by PCH

It feels strange to feel confident going into this game, but I am. I can't help but feel that Jacksonville St was overrated, and it was only a matter of time for someone to exploit them. With that, Sam Houston is a good football team. After watching the JSU game, they have a skilled trasnfer from TCU that could wreak havoc in our secondary. They had a shaky start, but they turned it around. Of course, it wasn't a CAA schedule they played through. The weather looks to be clear and COLD in the sub-40s. Something Sam Houston has not seen yet this season in Texas. Our cats got an unhealthy dose of cold last saturday, and should be poised to take on the Bearkats this Saturday. I just hope the crowd shows up this week, and can get a glimpse of what John and the 'Cats are capable of.

Game is on Direct TV pay for view if you don't have upgraded football package. I think it is about $25. I'll be watching as I did against Liberty.

At this point everyone you play is good. They supposedly have 2 pretty good WR's. Front 6 will need to keep enough pressure on their QB to keep things under control. No reason not to have confidence in that group, they have been playing great football. It looked like that week off affected us early in last weeks game. They found their legs and got things in gear. With the predicted good weather and a game under our belts we should be ready to roll, again on offense. Looking for J.R. to have his usual great performance. Go Cats!

We have already had temps in the 20's this season. 40 degree weather is a common occurrence in Texas and in Huntsville this time of year. The cold air isn't going to affect this team one bit. If anything, yall should have been praying for rain. Clear skies and cool is just what the doctored ordered for this Kat team.

The TCU transfer you are referring too is 6-4,225 LaDarius Brown. He wont be the only skilled WR on the field. There is a Tx Tech transfer Derek Edwards. There is also Gerald Thomas and freshman Yedidiah Louis. Louis is the kid to keep and eye on. Very fast and has a knack for getting open when everyone thinks there is no where to go with the ball. Kats O will also run a lot of bubble screens on the outside with the slot receivers.

This should be a good game.
This post was edited on 12/11 10:04 AM by shkat89

Weather will not be an issue for this game, which is good. No built in excuses.

This will be a very good close game in my opinion. Let's be honest, neither fan base really knows anything about the other team. As a team advances through the playoffs, the level of competition goes up. What may work against a team in the regular season will not work this week. There are no secrets. This game will come down to execution; tackling, blocking, running for the extra yard, turnovers, etc....

Transfers from big time programs will not mean a thing this Saturday. All schools at this level have kids that could or did get scholrships from big time schools....they are at this level for a reason. We played against a guy (and beat him) who QBed his team to a Super Bowl Championship. We had a guy who was an All Pro RB in the NFL, and we couldn't win a Champonship with him.

Talley and KC know each other's tendencies. The one slight advantage KC will have, is he knows our personel of players because he has spend so much time around Andy and the school, where we do not know the SHSU players at all. I respect KC and SHSU's program. They deserve to be here, as do we. I expect 2 teams to go at it on Saturday afternoon.

I expect a good one

Agreed. And the D-II school that beat SHS walked through the rest of their schedule, early playoffs, and is in the D-II semi's this weekend, hardly a slouch team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT