ADVERTISEMENT

We're Number 1

nudge-nudge-monty-python-105.jpg

I'm 100% sincere. Buck would be loving this. NFC, VSB#1, and rumors about tearing down the Pav. That's his wheelhouse.

Other than TGO's inane flame, and a couple of trash-
talk downies, I applaud your general approach. This
thread epitomizes, I think, our schools' relationships.

Our most common cross-applications are these,
not necessarily in order: Boston College, Notre Dame,
Georgetown, Holy Cross, Penn State, Lehigh,
Marquette, Pitt, UCLA, Rutgers, Cornell and, now,
Penn. Moving up: Cal-Berkeley, Northwestern,
Illinois, Carnegie Mellon, Bucknell, Colgate, Miami (OH).

Our "safety" school pool is: Seton Hall, Providence,
Fairfield, Rutgers, Maryland, St. Mary's (Calif.),
Dayton, Duquesne, Fordham, among others.

The "National" term used is not because of graduate
programs -- 'Nova has quite enough of those -- but
because of Ph.D's, a department in which we were
sorely lacking. We're changing that. We've got 3
active Ph. D. programs which are receiving very good
interest with several more in store, that should
change our status with the Carnegie Foundation.

But we are hardly a "regional" school, with 8% each
from the midwest and west, 6% from the south (NOT
including Virginia), 3% foreign and territorial. Fully
one quarter of our students come from outside the
13 contiguous northeastern states (W. Va./Va. to
Maine).

Finally, the pink elephant is as dead as Dan Rather's
career.

In the Class of 2008, fully 16%-plus are members of
the new minorities. 4% are African-American, 6%
Asian, 6% Hispanic and little over half a percent
American Indian/Aleut.

It ain't perfect, but it IS progress. Catholic schools, imo,
should shoot for roughly 20% in this area, give-or-take,
mainly because they're trying to retain an 80%
Catholic population (altho I know G'town breaks the
mold here and is under 60).

But that's today's Villanova. One final pt about the
Carnegie. One bud of mine who knows someone over
there had his pal run V.U.'s academic credentials thru
the C.F. computer pizooker kumquat machine and it
spit out that if V.U. were in the "National" category,
it would be in the low 70s nationally. Not all that
bad, I think you'd admit.

The average SAT for incoming freshmen this year was
1,300, the average ACT 28.5, maybe not exactly
Hoya numbers, but pretty nice, I think.

Finally, with the other 12 existing Big East schools,
Villanova ranks only behind Notre Dame, Georgetown
and Boston College in terms of percentage of student
body that is national in scope.

Sorry for the long, long sociology course. We do have
a somewhat different path in terms of applications,
partly because your non-Catholic numbers are way
higher than ours.

But Villanova and Notre Dame cross-reference a whole
lot, as we do with Boston College and Holy Cross in
particular.

What's all this have to do with our rivalry? I still think
the two schools are largely the same. Both have long
traditions -- yours from 1789, ours from 1842, and
our mission statements are probably pretty close to
identical.

I know you have a financial situation right now and
that concerns me as a major proponent for Catholic
education, because Georgetown is one of the nation's
most recognizable names.

Hang in there, enjoy this basketball season (altho
definitely NOT the second V.U.-G.U. result! ;D).

You're good folks and you deserve a chance to see
your team climb back up the Big East ladder. Hopefully
V.U. and Georgetown will be battling for the top for
many years to come.

b70

This one was particularly good. As if there is any admission-applicant crossover between Villanova and Cal-Berkeley.

Reactions: tomjackleman
I think you're making no sense, don't know if you're being serious or just trolling but you said "Businessweek changed their methodology this year, focusing more on the student experience and the impact our graduates have in the business world." This survey was from Bloomberg. I don't doubt Nova is a good b-school, the accounting and finance grads have a pipeline to the big 4 firms and wall street, and have had great connections for years. Personally I don't give a $hit where people went to school, but I do think it's weird when a school comes out of nowhere to be ranked #1, the same school who had a law school that rigged the rankings. Whatever dude, enjoy being #1, you're still Vanillanova to me and I'll keep my stereotypes and you can keep yours.

You should learn to read. Businessweek is Bloomberg. Dolt.

So seriously, does temple think they belong on the list?

I get it! Temple people are jealous of nova so they will call us overrated. But do they think they deserve inclusion? Why? Its temple.

So seriously, does temple think they belong on the list?

I get it! Temple people are jealous of nova so they will call us overrated. But do they think they deserve inclusion? Why? Its temple.

Ben Hogan is as overrated at ball striking as you are at trolling lately. Step up your game. This is poor lately. You're losing your edge in the eye of this championship.

Ben Hogan is as overrated at ball striking as you are at trolling lately. Step up your game. This is poor lately. You're losing your edge in the eye of this championship.

Do you still think Businessweek and Bloomberg are different?

Serious question.

Look, whether Nova is #1 or #10 or #15 on the list, whatever? Time and time again it comes out with positive reviews on these lists. So I understand Temple's jealousy.

But is Temple really thinking that their business school is comparable to Villanova's? That's the question. Because Temple never registers on this stuff because Temple is a poor man's Rutgers.

Is the Temple argument here really: "Nova is not #1, the list is flawed, so that means Nova is pretty much the same as Temple!"?

Are we going to get the same arguments in hoops next year. "Nova at #2 is OVERRATED, so therefor they are really no better than Temple at #86 in the RPI!"?

Reactions: tomjackleman
Do I still give a $hit? They stopped ranking undergrad b-schools didn't they? So much for proving your "anecdotal evidence."
I mean you criticized me for the difference. Anyone in the industry knows better. You can at least issue a mea culpa.

So Jersey Joe, what is your argument here? You don't like the Bloomberg ranking? Nova is not really #1, it is more like #10 or something?

That's still light years better than Temple.

Serious question.

Look, whether Nova is #1 or #10 or #15 on the list, whatever? Time and time again it comes out with positive reviews on these lists. So I understand Temple's jealousy.

But is Temple really thinking that their business school is comparable to Villanova's? That's the question. Because Temple never registers on this stuff because Temple is a poor man's Rutgers.

Is the Temple argument here really: "Nova is not #1, the list is flawed, so that means Nova is pretty much the same as Temple!"?

Are we going to get the same arguments in hoops next year. "Nova at #2 is OVERRATED, so therefor they are really no better than Temple at #86 in the RPI!"?

Ball, how can you ask a "serious question?" I mean, this whole thread is a joke, $hit, this whole news group is a joke. BW 4.6, compliments of NCAA Ball. I get it, this is all a joke, and so are school rankings of magazines that nobody reads. I find it interesting though, that the people on this newsgroup are really hung up on the perceived quality of a VU education. That really reeks of a complex of some kind.

I'm friends with your school president, an SJU (PA) grad. Great guy, he's taking you guys to new levels since it's dumb to put a priest in charge of a university your size. Sure, you still get the letters from Fr. Peter, but you know who's running the show. And he's a really smart guy and an effective leader. And yet, there are people on this newsgroup who criticized your school's leadership because they had a guy working there from SJU. I know another guy from St. Joe's who is the founder and CEO of a fortune 500 company. Again, I have seen people on the VU message boards put down SJU as an academic institution while singing the praises of Nova. I also remember the law school rankings at VU, which turned out to be a huge mess. Anyhow, there are good students and successful people from a lot of different institutions of higher learning, and you can't paint them all with a broad brush. If my kid had to choose between Nova and Penn as a business major, I would have a hard time turning down the Wharton school. I also have a hard time understanding how your ranking on that list went from #25 to #1, I know Magitti is good, but that's crazy.

Finally, it's good to see that Jay still respects and adores the Big 5 (again, unlike the carpetbaggers on these message boards,) so we can answer the question of who is better when we play you next year.

Happy 4/20 bro!

Ball, how can you ask a "serious question?" I mean, this whole thread is a joke, $hit, this whole news group is a joke. BW 4.6, compliments of NCAA Ball. I get it, this is all a joke, and so are school rankings of magazines that nobody reads. I find it interesting though, that the people on this newsgroup are really hung up on the perceived quality of a VU education. That really reeks of a complex of some kind.

I'm friends with your school president, an SJU (PA) grad. Great guy, he's taking you guys to new levels since it's dumb to put a priest in charge of a university your size. Sure, you still get the letters from Fr. Peter, but you know who's running the show. And he's a really smart guy and an effective leader. And yet, there are people on this newsgroup who criticized your school's leadership because they had a guy working there from SJU. I know another guy from St. Joe's who is the founder and CEO of a fortune 500 company. Again, I have seen people on the VU message boards put down SJU as an academic institution while singing the praises of Nova. I also remember the law school rankings at VU, which turned out to be a huge mess. Anyhow, there are good students and successful people from a lot of different institutions of higher learning, and you can't paint them all with a broad brush. If my kid had to choose between Nova and Penn as a business major, I would have a hard time turning down the Wharton school. I also have a hard time understanding how your ranking on that list went from #25 to #1, I know Magitti is good, but that's crazy.

Finally, it's good to see that Jay still respects and adores the Big 5 (again, unlike the carpetbaggers on these message boards,) so we can answer the question of who is better when we play you next year.

Happy 4/20 bro!
Name drops, insults, no #facts, doesn't answer anything. Solid response.

Serious question.

Ball, please list all of the national recognition (other than this phoney Bloomberg list that even Bloomberg won't stand behind) that the Villanova business school has received in the last year.

I only ask because I am very interested.

Serious question.

Ball, please list all of the national recognition (other than this phoney Bloomberg list that even Bloomberg won't stand behind) that the Villanova business school has received in the last year.

Hey Folks, interesting series of responses, just what
I expected. Most were good, others, were well...

That said, many of our Temple folks make some good
points. Here is my perspective, FWIW:

Villanova has changed in the recent years, and the Ivy
elitists from FEEL-del-phia are noticeably upset at the
recent rankings. But those elitists underestimate the
changes Villanova has made, and its upward climb. It's
combining the attractive a-ca-deemic aspects of the Ivies
with the D1 athletics of major schools, in a catholic,
family oriented environment. I cannot imagine a world without
some sort of SERIOUS intercollegiate competition with
intense crowds and great opportunities to proclaim
one's affiliation to his/her alma mater.

Temple is a fine institution, with a different mission than
my beloved Villanova. It's a local school, with a graduate
focus that serves the greater Philadelphia region proudly.

Villanova School of Biz-nass is an Ivy level, undergraduate
focused school that prepares its graduates to enter the world
of Wall Street as wolves, not merely kittens.

Years ago, your faithful correspondent decried the University's
narrow-scoped geography, but under the leadership of
Michael Gaynor, with the help of Steve Burnett (now a
prep school administrator in California), Villanova has
become as popular a destination out here as the
Ivies, Boston College, Georgetown, Notre Dame, or Duke.

It's attracting applicants from across the country, featuring 45
states, 48 countries, and even students from GUAM (a
beautiful place yours truly last visited in the late 1970s to
cover a beisbol game feauting the fightin' Chamorros). SAT
scores have risen to the 1400 range (on the REAL scale of
1600) and my sources in the Austin Hall tell me this year will be
record breaking.

Even better (though I hate those Wall Street Wanna Beez paying
half their salary for a size seven shoebox to lay their well
quaffed manes) these graduates are getting high paying,
highly sought after jobs in the best firms in the country. 98.4%
of graduates are well employed yuppies withing 6 months of
matriculation.

And the best stateestic around? The Economist ranks Villanova
as the #3 VALUE in the country, one spot ahead of those
less-than-friendly folks up on Charles in Bostonia.

So, sure, you can banter back and forth about if the College of
Commerce and Phinance is numero uno or number ten, but its
place among its peers is undeniable.

Do we still have flaws? Doesn't every school? But as I sit here
on the banks of the Hudson I want to congratulate the school for
all its done.

I love a good tete a tete between fellow Big Fivers, and hope
Temple can get back to the days of Chaney. Go Owls! (As long as
you aren't playing my Cats!).

Serious question.

I don't really follow undergraduate school rankings all that much seeing as I am not a high school student looking for a college to attend and I'm not even a businessman, but I remember some highly credible publication had us at #9 recently.

But seriously, Temple is Temple. A nice accessible and affordable option for higher education for Philadelphians who want to better themselves. While Villanova is an elite university turning young men into gentleman and successes in life.
Both should be praised for the roles they play in the community, but there really is no comparison.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT