ADVERTISEMENT

Why do college kids suck so bad today?

I also feel social media plays a huge part in their behavior. Knowing that you have a platform to be a crybaby and reach the masses only encourages this sort of thing.

These kids who are currently trending very liberal will become more conservative with age. Sure, when they reach their ripened state of relative moderatism they'll have more soft spots for minorities and stuff than current 50 year olds do, but can't you see that about current 50 year olds in comparison to current 80 year olds?

These kids suck but it's not the end of the world. They grew up in the United States where there are very few real problems, but the adolescent brain makes it so that you feel the need to carve out a rebellious identity. That's why 18-25 year olds have always been the best to send to war - they want to passionately fight for something and prove their worth. These pricks are not valiant, but they think they are. They'll grow up.

This goes beyond carving out a rebellious identity. Kids have done that since forever. It's more about the climate of being the thought police and having outrage over every perceived slight with no accountability. Basically they all need a punch in the face and to be told to STFU but as pointed out their asshole parents just gave them a timeout and patted their heads instead.

I also feel social media plays a huge part in their behavior. Knowing that you have a platform to be a crybaby and reach the masses only encourages this sort of thing.

The thing thats truly scary about this is the unchecked social authority that it garners.

For example, take that whiny bitch from Yale. Then shes going to post on social media. Then a bunch of like minded drones are going to support her. Then shes going to go viral. then her opinion becomes rule, and any disagreement is publicly shamed through the same unchecked media that gave her opinion credence. End result, you cant speak freely.
Thanks Whiny Bitch.
Love, The American Public.

To put it more simply; her opinion is like an asshole. Everyone's got one, and they all stink.
Unfortunately we exist in an environment where her asshole can become the standard for how all assholes should smell.

For example, take that whiny bitch from Yale. Then shes going to post on social media. Then a bunch of like minded drones are going to support her. Then shes going to go viral. then her opinion becomes rule, and any disagreement is publicly shamed through the same unchecked media that gave her opinion credence. End result, you cant speak freely.
I disagree with this. I don't think she's getting any support. She made a total fool of herself. She didn't look like she was standing up to injustice, but she was being a whiny little child, who doesn't know how to have an adult conversation. Which is exactly what she is.

Reactions: ericw
I disagree with this. I don't think she's getting any support. She made a total fool of herself. She didn't look like she was standing up to injustice, but she was being a whiny little child, who doesn't know how to have an adult conversation. Which is exactly what she is.

Was using her as an example. But look at the Caitlyn Jenner issue. Two years ago transgender wasnt even thought of. Now you cant mention the word without offending someone and being dubbed ignorant. Well, what if i happen to think transgender is bullshit? Im a social pariah overnight. In what court? On whose authority?
Social media dictating our values is not a good thing.

Reactions: GaryMassey
Because their parents gave them timeouts instead of discipline.
they had play dates instead of actually organizing and overseeing activities and games
they've gotten a trophy for participation since 4 year old soccer
and you can't fail kids in school because god forbid johnny feels bad for not being able to read.
The above post should be framed and hung in the Old Blowhard hall of fame.

Was using her as an example. But look at the Caitlyn Jenner issue. Two years ago transgender wasnt even thought of. Now you cant mention the word without offending someone and being dubbed ignorant. Well, what if i happen to think transgender is bullshit? Im a social pariah overnight. In what court? On whose authority?
That I'll agree with.

Well, what if i happen to think transgender is bullshit? Im a social pariah overnight. In what court? On whose authority?

That's the FREE MARKET that the GoPers blabbered on about last night. Your dissent is currency. It's not worth fighting popular thought over the right to be able to crap on someone because of their age, race, orientation, gender, etc. Save it for things that truly matter to you.

The biggest change IMO is the ability to organize and blast the message via social media. It provides a platform to everyone regardless of how unworthy the cause. So it's easy to create these movements and the liberal agenda can take off. College campuses have been protesting forever. We simply hear about it now.

Concerning the Missouri stuff. I'm not saying what is being protested about isn't happening. I'm not there. I'm not a black student on that campus. However, will any or has any hard evidence/data depicting institutional racism been offered up? You know, something you can look at and say, man that's not fair. That needs to be changed. Or, are some random racial epithets by idiots and a possible swastika made of shit all we need to to start overthrowing administrators? Just wondering....

I'm not all over this story, so maybe I missed the hard-hitting stuff. But if anyone on this newsgroup is privy to that info, then I'd be interesting in hearing it.

I'm not all over this story, so maybe I missed the hard-hitting stuff. But if anyone on this newsgroup is privy to that info, then I'd be interesting in hearing it.

http://www.mediaite.com/online/scar...-what-mizzou-president-did-to-get-kicked-out/

The Washington Post’s Eugene Robinson offered, “There are a lot of African-American students and other minorities who feel for whatever reason that the campus was not made to be a friendly, accepting, and supportive place.”

“But what are those reasons? What are the specifics? I’ve been reading since this photograph was taken, looking for specifics of systemic actions that have made students feel exclusive,” said Scarborough. The photograph that Scarborough referenced features the entire Mizzou football team locked arm-in-arm that was Tweeted from head coach Gary Pinkel.

“I don’t know what those specifics are,” admitted Robinson.

Scarborough interrupted to fire back, “Isn’t that troubling Gene, that you don’t know? A Pulitzer Prize winner? This guy is run out as President of the University because the football team said ‘we’re not gonna play’. And neither you nor I reading these articles know what he did to invoke this type of response. Is this a complete failure on the national media to report?”

Reactions: ericw
This is like an alternative universe...something you would see created on Robot Chicken...Pinkel bitched up because he knows he can't go out and recruit black kids in STL if he stands up for what's right.

The scariest piece to me is where are the right-minded admins and trustees of this college? There have been idiot young people since the dawn of time...since when are they allowed to run the place?

Yea, I just read thatcartickecandcwatchrd that clip, there appeared to be a 7-8 person panel. A panel of people of different races. And not one could state what the president did to be run out of dodge. Though, I did hear something about the proximity and carryover from Ferguson. Really? What a joke and a disgrace.

Caving into that football team was dumb.

Concerning the Missouri stuff. I'm not saying what is being protested about isn't happening. I'm not there. I'm not a black student on that campus. However, will any or has any hard evidence/data depicting institutional racism been offered up? You know, something you can look at and say, man that's not fair. That needs to be changed. Or, are some random racial epithets by idiots and a possible swastika made of shit all we need to to start overthrowing administrators? Just wondering....

Agree, I was wondering this too. Read a news article last night trying to find something, but couldn't.

And while those emphasizing the social media platform have a point, much easier than when your best bet was some combination of the campus paper and local paper/news to get a message out, then maybe national wire services picking up -- doesn't explain why when one of these issues hits, those in authority buckle to a significant extent to what amounts to b.s. They didn't use to. Something has changed on that end too. There's fear that didn't use to be there.

1.What is an appropriate tax rate that's not too high?
2. Doesn't the US tax rate line up on the low end of first world countries?
3. What current spending would you cut? Please be realistic.

Please address these otherwise it just sounds like rich guy whining.

That's funny. You're welcome to donate all your income to the government...

1. Income tax and the IRS should be abolished. Demolish the tax code. If working people have more disposable income they will likely spend more to help local and big businesses earn more revenue. They will deposit more to banks who can lend more to grow the economy. Companies can pay lower salaries if there is no income tax (e.g., $100,000 @ 20% or $85,000 @ 0%) for as good or better quality of life, earn more revenue as consumers would be able to spend more, have higher profits, and with an adjusted and lowered corporate tax rate the federal government would potentially receive more revenue. Let multi-nationals bring back on-shore their income without penalty. Businesses can provide more jobs to get more people off the government dole. Taxes should be collected at the local level via consumption; sales/VAT, property ownership, business/corporate tax, capital gains, etc. Rid budgets at every level of all the fat and become balanced.

2. No it does not. US is one of the highest when combining local + state + federal which tops out at 56%. Only Finland, Sweden, and Belgium, are higher. Sounds like you think Bernie Sanders is the Man. Give me all your money and I'll give you everything for FREE! lol. Why is there plenty of money for welfare but problems with paying SS to those who actually paid into the system?

Hong Kong and Singapore income tax rates top out at 20% for the highest earners and whose corporate tax rates are substantially lower than the US (16.5% and 17% respectively vs. 35% in the US). An individual earning $50,000 in Singapore, their tax liability is $625. $100,000 = $4,650, $200,000 = $19,750 (and you can pay off your tax due monthly over 10 months). Ireland corporate tax rate is 12.5%, UK is 20%, Japan is 24%, Germany is 30%...

Isn't the US supposed to be THE Greatest Country in the Free World? Govt is too big with too many divisions pandering to too many lobbyists/special interest groups and regulations that nobody really understands and is just a way to fine entities/companies to take more of their income vs. taxation. The whole FATCA crap is driving foreign countries away from hiring US citizens due to the regulations required on reporting account information of Americans or facing a penalty of 30% of their US on-shore revenues. US citizens renouncing citizenship is at an all-time high due to the crap tax reporting requirements for income earned overseas, while domiciled overseas (only major country in the world that requires this). Just the US govt trying to overturn every rock possible to capture as much tax revenue it can.

3. Too many options and without knowing the budget allocations to each line item quite difficult, but here goes...Obozocare, IRS, DoE, DoT, Federal Reserve, welfare programs severely de-funded and hard limits enforced, Planned Parenthood, federal student aid, freeze on increased salaries and benefits for all politicians for 10 years and enact term limits (peanuts in overall scheme but to make a point that these elected officials serve the populace and citizens should not have to continue to pay them more money as the country is falling apart), overseas military presence (get out of the middle east and let them fight their own civil wars - many of the problems today in the region vs. the US are due to US presence meddling in their affairs only because they have oil the US wants) but increase national defense, cut all benefits to illegal immigrants - loved the comment by Cruz last night that if they were taking away journalism, reporting, media jobs and pushing down their incomes, the msm would be all over the issue non-stop. Tip of the iceberg. Tons of other garbage in the budget that could be eliminated.

Also, in regards to #2, from the tax foundation:
Figure-2.png

Stop talking about taxes you two. Can we get back on point and talk about what pussies these kids are today.

Constant protests. Bunch of spoiled entitled politically correct cretins running amok crying about every perceived slight.

When did this start?
I am not going to get into the political aspects of this thread.
Just saying the only demonstration I remember in my undergrad days at Nova was when we hung the football coach in efeigy. Yes you hoops guys , we hung the football coach, Frank Reagan. Some time in the late 50's.
Do you honestly think defunding Welfare is a good idea?

I am not going to get into the political aspects of this thread.
Just saying the only demonstration I remember in my undergrad days at Nova was when we hung the football coach in efeigy. Yes you hoops guys , we hung the football coach, Frank Reagan. Some time in the late 50's.

in modern slang that translates to "we literally hung the football coach"

Reactions: ChuckSullivan97
This goes beyond carving out a rebellious identity. Kids have done that since forever. It's more about the climate of being the thought police and having outrage over every perceived slight with no accountability. Basically they all need a punch in the face and to be told to STFU but as pointed out their asshole parents just gave them a timeout and patted their heads instead.

I do agree with you. All those factors lead to them whining more and more. But I'm still confident they'll be embarrassed by their current behavior when they're older.

As mentioned before, the shitty part is that older, wiser, innocent people are being unfairly burdened by them.

defunding welfare is not a good idea. the goal of the program should be to continually reduce the # of people on it over time. the govt. administrators who run the program should have salary/bonuses based on how many people they transition from welfare to full-time employment through job training & placement activities.

Thanks for sharing, Krazy. I like a well thought out opinion.

Does #1 mean no federal income tax other than for corporations?

Cruz's journalism comment was a zinger, but factually hollow.

Not sure if 0% individual federal income tax would work completely without analyzing the data. How much revenue is received and from what sources? What is the revenue allocation across the various tax brackets, eliminating tax on those making $100,000 or less how much would the tax rates have to increase on those making $100,001 or more to compensate, how many programs can be eliminated, what is their combined budget allocation, which programs does current tax collected go to, how much waste in the budget can be reduced from remaining programs, which programs are the highest priorities, etc.

If the corporate tax rate was lowered to a more attractive rate of about 15-20%, the tax code and loopholes eliminated, then it could be projected that more business would come on-shore, as it is a friendlier place to do business with a major market to enter. This could add considerable amounts of taxable revenue (which could offset the loss of individual federal income tax revenue) and combined with more disposable income for individuals whose tax burden has decreased would spur spending for the current and new businesses. If more corporate competition comes on-shore due to lower corporate taxes without assisting individual earners, then there would just be a re-allocation of the same spending across more competitors and more businesses would close.

With the lower corporate tax rate, existing large businesses would not be able to leverage the tax code to their advantage and would possibly pay more but given the lower rate their next best option going offshore might not be as good - whereas today it is almost a no-brainer at the 35% bracket. If you want to do business in the US, then you must pay the 15-20% tax on all revenue earned on-shore. There is no option to reclassify under various LE structures or other tax code loopholes. I would think given the size of the market, and that take it or leave it option, that most businesses would take it. Time for GE and other behemoths to start contributing for the opportunity to do business in the US. If small businesses were able to exploit the loopholes the same way as GE, I guarantee the IRS would find ways to close them. Check this article out:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-to-avoid-tax-on-local-business-a6728971.html

Yeah, I guess if the msm was made up of many illegal immigrants then they wouldn't necessarily be clamoring about the topic...only if there was such an imminent threat to the current msm livelihood would they be highlighting the issue and trying endlessly to protect their kingdom.

Last edited:
Turns out the Yale student yelling "who the f hired you?" In the video was in the search committee that in fact hired him.

http://www.barstoolsports.com/barst...r-was-on-the-search-committee-that-hired-him/

defunding welfare is not a good idea. the goal of the program should be to continually reduce the # of people on it over time. the govt. administrators who run the program should have salary/bonuses based on how many people they transition from welfare to full-time employment through job training & placement activities.

Perhaps more de-emphasizing welfare is more apt. Don't like the lifers who find ways to get on and stay on welfare and make a lifestyle out of it.

I like the suggestion of aligning salary/bonuses based on that metric. Like an employment agency that places someone, they receive a fee if the individual they place stays on at the job for 90+ days or more money if 180+ days. There must be a limit though for the amount of times an individual can go on the dole - a lifetime benefits amount/limit and based on a % of previous income/taxes paid or something like that. That might incentivize people to work more and rely less on government bail-outs, I mean assistance.

So
1. No Personal Income Tax
2. Slash corporate income tax in half
3. ????
4. Better, more stable country and economy!!!

Not sure I'm following that one all the way thru.

Need more data/analysis on the nature of welfare recipients before we just start yanking the rug out from under people. I guess we could send them all to dishwashing/landscaping/hotel maid jobs if you're going Trump on immigration. Take all that sweet IRs money and build a dedicated deportation railroad accroas the border?

The Mizzou protest again. This time blocking a reporter from covering the event which I don't get. I thought they wanted coverage for their antics. The end is priceless. Professor of media journalism asks for some "muscle" to help remove the student journalist. Wow.

So
1. No Personal Income Tax
2. Slash corporate income tax in half
3. ????
4. Better, more stable country and economy!!!

Not sure I'm following that one all the way thru.

Need more data/analysis on the nature of welfare recipients before we just start yanking the rug out from under people. I guess we could send them all to dishwashing/landscaping/hotel maid jobs if you're going Trump on immigration. Take all that sweet IRs money and build a dedicated deportation railroad accroas the border?

Personal income tax rates, if any and at first, should make up any shortfall from corporate tax to be able to fund all the top priority programs after the fat has been cut out.

Pretty simple:
  • Eliminate inefficient/unnecessary federal programs that suck money from individuals thereby reducing need of personal income tax. Fire all the useless 'Secretary of' politicians doing nothing but representing lobbyists
  • Lower personal income tax to allow more disposable income, more deposits, more lending, more spending, higher quality of life
  • Lower corporate tax to create more business opportunities, competition, and increased tax revenue (as major players cannot exploit loopholes to lower their effective tax rates, like GE, to almost zero) plus that which is off-shore coming on-shore and adding to the coffers
    • More businesses as a result of lower corporate taxes means more jobs, more income, more spending
  • Cap welfare benefits based on contributions to society (with a base amount for everyone regardless of contribution) to prevent lifers on the dole and sucking the system
    • More people off welfare means less government intervention and required taxes to fund the program
    • Kick out all illegal immigrants who have committed any crime; would free up jobs that many welfare recipients could be doing
    • Allow 'good' illegal immigrants to apply legally and go through the process like they should
  • Give states more power to control their own destiny
  • The federal government should focus on creating a safe and business friendly environment that allows individuals and businesses to prosper in a lawful manner - regulations are a mess and a deep-dive review and analysis needs to be done to figure out a way to protect consumers (banking, pharmaceutical, foods, etc.) without going overboard the way things are now. The FDA is a joke as is FINRA and the EPA.
Much else to address but these are the basics.

Pretty good read from Fridersdorf on the "Safe Space" issue

Since corp taxes have been touched on in two threads, completely genuine question that may show my lack of knowledge... but how many large corporations pay anywhere near 35%? Sticking to industries I know, companies average around a 15% effective tax rate. And aren't there a ton of companies that end up paying nothing or even getting rebates? So if we close the loopholes, lower the rate to 20% and cut out all the shenanigans, is that really going to be enough?

The companies I know that have pulled the inversion move and reincorporated in a more tax friendly place like Ireland still jump through hoops and use many of the same tactics to get below their 12.5% rate pushing towards 8%. From what I have seen most of that money does not seem to go into innovation as those moves are usually coupled with significant reductions in areas like R&D. Maybe i need to peer further down into the rabbit hole and look at aggregate versus effective. I'm definitely in favor of a change but just trying to understand how lowering the rate is a panacea for driving more business given the flexibility companies seem to have in the current environment.

The US market is how many times the size of Ireland? Given the loopholes, of course any company would be wise to exploit them as far as they could to their advantage.

Lowering the rate from 35% to 15-20% and making it firm, coupled with the lower personal income taxes and prospects for slightly lower salaries and increased spending/revenue from consumers, would seem to be an attractive proposition in lieu of the firm 15-20% tax rate to do business in the US.

All theoretical of course and would need a deep dive analysis but on the surface it seems to make sense. The problem is the current environment with tax code and all the lobbyists/special interest groups that muddle everything up. Keep it simple.

The Mizzou protest again. This time blocking a reporter from covering the event which I don't get. I thought they wanted coverage for their antics. The end is priceless. Professor of media journalism asks for some "muscle" to help remove the student journalist. Wow.

Pretty disturbing video actually. The professor calling for "muscle", for what? To physically remove the reporter? Full disclosure, I don't know what's going on in that tent. Probably something real important.

Would all the laid off govt employees take the deported illegal immigrant criminals' jobs in this plan?

Doesn't lowering the tax rate also provide incentive not to invest in tax free govt bonds thus crippling state and local govts?

Would all the laid off govt employees take the deported illegal immigrant criminals' jobs in this plan?

Doesn't lowering the tax rate also provide incentive not to invest in tax free govt bonds thus crippling state and local govts?

Once again, I'm going to ask you take the Dmil-adp-esque tax debate to another thread and save this space for the bashing of candy ass whiny millenials who are ruining this country. By not listening to me, you are invading my personal space and offending my humanity with your white privledge. I will now take to Twitter to shame you and ask you resign from whatever job you have.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT