ADVERTISEMENT

Why do credit cards expire?

ChicagoSux

Diaper Dandy
Oct 10, 2009
Seriously what's the point other than to annoy the shit out of you every 3 years to update a million online services you have tied to that card.

I'm sure 50 years ago there was some valid reason but now it probably no longer makes sense.

Good point. As the use of the limited life magnetic strip disappears the expiration date seems less necessary. I suppose it provides some fraud protection, but it is really much more than the cvv number most merchants now require you to provide?

The fact that these things self renew automatically without you having to proactively reapply makes it even more asinine. What's the point of an actual expiration then?

Seriously what's the point other than to annoy the shit out of you every 3 years to update a million online services you have tied to that card.

I'm sure 50 years ago there was some valid reason but now it probably no longer makes sense.

Sounds like a good idea for an App - one that automatically refreshes your card data with one entry of your new expiration date

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT