ADVERTISEMENT

Women's World Cup

of course i have a WWC story.

went to landover, MD for the quarterfinals in 1999 and caught the usa/germany and nigeria/brazil doubleheader. traffic was brutal so my buddy and i got hammered on the ride while a gal friend drove. roll into our seats and break out the flasks, kid sitting next to us "whispers" as only ~8 year olds can do "daddy, what's that?" dad looks over at us, disapprovingly, and responds "that's something that people put alcohol in." the tone was clear, don't be dropping f-bombs in front of my kid. i was going to be a junior in college the following fall aka the peak of my public drinking powers.

usa wins a solid game, 3-2, after falling behind from an early own goal, tying it, and then going down 2-1. my buddy and i are on our best, most patriotic behavior. i was rocking a mickey mouse t-shirt and brought a poster that said "I WILL HAVE 2 FILLINGS" (look it up). very popular w/ the soccer moms in the crowd.

we were sitting in the cheap seats and a few rows in front of us was a large group of nigerians - maybe 4 or 5 packed rows - with most of the guys rocking full tribal dress with drums, trumpets, those jugs with the beads on them, etc. during the second game brazil went up 3-0 into the half. i - the whitest of white guys - approached the group and explained, in my drunken logic -that if they gave me a drum nigeria would surely come back to win. next thing i know i've got a drum and nigeria scores about 10 minutes later. this 6'4 nigerian who i assumed was the chief has me in a bear hug. we are singing, dancing, i'm smashing the drum and boom, nigeria scores again. i didn't understand what they were saying, for the most part, but it was clear they viewed me as some kind of white talisman. by this point my buddy and our gal friend have joined us and they are given instruments as well.

it's 3-2 brazil and the entire upper level is now pulling for nigeria (brazil fans traveled well but were mostly in the lower levels). the trumpet guy is blasting out some song and we all lock arms, 3 white college kids in a big group of nigerians, and start swaying side-to-side and singing "all we are saaaaaying, is give us a goooooooal." goosebump city, pop. 1.

a few minutes from time, wish granted. 3-3. bedlam. i got knocked over into the row in front of where we were standing and next thing i know 3 of the nigerians have rushed down to my side and are picking me up, huge grins on their faces, slapping me on the back, handing me my drum. it was a nonstop dance party as regulation ended and went into extra time.

alas, it wasn't meant to be, brazil scored in ET (and had a legit goal disallowed at the end of regulation) and nigeria lost 4-3. after saying our goodbyes to the nigerians my buddy and i, still euphoric from the whole experience, were walking into the concourse. i feel a tap on my shoulder and turn around and it's the same guy from earlier with his kid. he says, "I just wanted to let you know that my son and i had such a good time watching you singing and dancing with those nigerian fans, that was a real hoot." awwwww. the only bummer is this game happened before cell phones and as such, i didn't get to put any of the nigerians into my phone, keeping the # of black people i have in my phone at 1 (as of this writing).

women's world cup, CATCH THE FEVER!!!!

I'm all in. Despise women's sports in general. Soccer and hockey can translate across the genders.

I'm all in. Despise women's sports in general. Soccer and hockey can translate across the genders.

Curious as to why you think Women's hockey translates. One of my best friends at 'Nova has a brother who plays hockey professionally. Apparently the USA women's national hockey team scrimmages against HS Boy Freshmen teams. Why not just go watch a varsity hockey game at your local high school?

Curious as to why you think Women's hockey translates. One of my best friends at 'Nova has a brother who plays hockey professionally. Apparently the USA women's national hockey team scrimmages against HS Boy Freshmen teams. Why not just go watch a varsity hockey game at your local high school?

Speed of the game. I will only watch women's hockey in the Olympics. I think tbey are skilled and they can skate.

I've watched USWNT Friendlies and Qualifiers. I've seen a handful of their professional games on the tv here stateside. I can watch high level women's soccer. I'll probably only watch the USWNT team in this tournament though. I'm a soccer freak so my feelings are probably unique to this board.

I could never watch women's basketball, lacrosse or softball. Awful sports.

Speed of the game. I will only watch women's hockey in the Olympics. I think tbey are skilled and they can skate.

I've watched USWNT Friendlies and Qualifiers. I've seen a handful of their professional games on the tv here stateside. I can watch high level women's soccer. I'll probably only watch the USWNT team in this tournament though. I'm a soccer freak so my feelings are probably unique to this board.

I could never watch women's basketball, lacrosse or softball. Awful sports.

Again, I'm a little confused. You are looking for speed and skill. Most varsity HS teams in the country are faster and equally skilled as the USWNT in both hockey and soccer. Not sure why it's more impressive because women are playing.

Can't speak to hockey, but I disagree about soccer. The USWNT would beat some college teams.

Can't speak to hockey, but I disagree about soccer. The USWNT would beat some college teams.

Disagree. Just like the pat summit/holdsclaw powerhouse tenn teams were routinely beaten by the dudes who practiced with them, any d-1 college soccer team would roll the women's national team.

Women's hockey doesn't translate, because there's no hitting. You can have all of the speed you want, but without a good check, it's just beer league on fast forward.

Why was that disgusting? Jake dedicated his life to Villanova Athletics, and he got to be there to see us win it all. I think it would have been sadder if he couldn't travel to be there at all, or, if like Al Severance, he died before seeing it.

I actually don't like that when they replay the game on ESPN Classic, you don't see Jake afterward.

Reactions: kjbert
I saw the show and was surprised it wasn't mentioned before.

Friday Night Lights, Episode 108, two guys with spinal injuries, in wheelchairs talking:

He was the head trainer for Villanova. You've seriously never heard about this?

No. See, you gotta remember, I wasn't even born 1985, old man.

Well, the poor bastard had Lou Gehrig's disease, and he was in a chair.
And the whole season, before games, they rolled him out on the court.
Then the team would come out and rub his head for good luck.
It was sick, bro.

What's wrong with it? Sounds fine to me.

Well, that's 'cause you're an idiot.

Why would you want to let them make you into some pathetic mascot, huh? It's not a mascot, man.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT