ADVERTISEMENT

Worst NBA All Star Rosters

SnottieDrippen

All VUSports.com Team
Nov 14, 2012
I had fun scrolling through these. Goes all the way back to 1951. Size of the rosters has changed a few time (10 then 12 then 11 then 12 again). Obviously sometimes you see injury replacements and they don't indicate who actually played which makes this a little less "exact". But I'm interested in seeing who you guys think were among the worst Teams . Let's put it in groups as obviously memory fades over time. Judgment should be based

1990-2015
1994 East - a lot of guys who were glorified role players or just overrated

1970-1990
1978 West - maybe these guys were all having career years but outside of Walton (one of his best years) I feel like they weren't proverbial "legends"

1951-1970
Paul Arizin is from South Philly - I'll say 1951 though.

http://www.nba-allstar.com/allstargame/rosters.htm

to clarify you dont think the guys from the 78 team (less Walton ) were great players?

Dr J
Moses Malone
Pistol Pete
Havlicek
Gervin
Rick Barry
David Thompson
Artis Gilmore
Bobby Jones
Bob Lanier

Arent they all in the HOF?

Snottie--I'd like to see Lamarcus Aldridge drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes.

Originally posted by LizReed:
Snottie--I'd like to see Lamarcus Aldridge drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes.
belt_bat_flip_twitter_0jxudhci.gif

Novabball
I said 1978 West team. 78 East was certainly more intimdating. We could do a "worst year" thing but I'm saying just the worst team from one of the conferences for those eras.

They certainly had some great players but 1978 West looks like a pretty subpar squad to me. David Thompson was a monster that year though after doing some further investigation. Thompson was the guy who Michael Jordan sort of "built upon" and who Jordan says he admired in terms of using athleticism in new ways (along with Dr. J, Gervin, and a few others I'm sure). His peak was short though which is why I don't think of him as a legend really.

Really hard to pick out the worst team, but fun to try. A huge reason 1978 West was weak: Abdul-Jabbar did not make the team that year due to missing a significant amount of time due to injury.

David Thompson was recently in the news as he set the scoring record of 32 in a quarter a few hours before George gervin set the record of 33. Gervin needed something like 38 to win the scoring title in the last game of the year following Thompsons 70+ point performance earlier in the day. Gervin wound up winning it, scoring 52 or something like that. The final score that game was something like 154-152, and here people are saying Gervin's record is more impressive than Klay Thompsons because of the 3 point line.

Originally posted by LizReed:
That's fine LR - let's see your picks for worst teams though.

Also, you're comparing two Centers to a Power Forward. I don't think it's very relevant as Aldrige wouldn't have to defend them in a typical scenario, but for arguments sake:

Lanier is 10 pounds heavier than Aldridge but much more lumbering. Aldridge needs about 6 inches of space to get his very reliable jumper off. Aldridge has some of the most advanced footwork for a 6'11 guy the NBA has ever seen. I'm not saying he's an all-time great, heck he was probably the 12th guy to get in this year. Still, Aldridge is one of the best 12-18 foot big men shooters the game has ever seen - his jumper has a very high release point and is butter - he can take shots facing the basket, off the dribble, and spinning out of the post going either left or right. Aldrige would get bullied by Lanier in the post- no doubt - but Aldridge has enough length (9'2" standing reach) to frustrate Lanier and a 34" vertical leap which was much more rare for a 6'11 guy in the 70s.

Aldridge has at least 30 pounds on Walton (this is a light estimate as he was officially 24 lbs heavier than Walton's listed playing weight (210 lbs) as a 20 year old at pre-draft measurements) and is of equal or slightly less athletic ability (I think a 37" vertical for prime Walton is more than reasonable). Walton I would say would give Aldridge problems, but it would be a matchup of two remarkably similar players. I think Walton's revolutionary outside-inside game and ball handling are actually a great example of a forefather of what today's NBA 4s are designed to do.

The big advantage for both Lanier and Walton: Left-Handedness. Still a powerful advantage to this day due to muscle memory and instinct of defenders. I think this would be Aldridge's demise given level coaching, training, etc. But still - different positions.

Honestly, you can look at the best plays of the careers of Walton and Lanier on YouTube- and then if you watch a Portland Trail Blazers game you will see Aldridge perform those moves with ease and more advanced techniques. Walton and Lanier would be absolutely fine today with similar coaching and training but just look at their available footage, compare it to a single game highlight reel of LaMarcus and come back to me. I'm not saying LaMarcus is necessarily better than either - but he certainly would be teaching players from the 70s new techniques and is absolutely physically capable and aptly conditioned to play well against those men.

This is why I separated it into eras anyway. The game became significantly more advanced in the 80s. I love and respect the old players. I grew up obsessively reading about the NBA's legends and talking basketball with my grandfather and his old buddies who played in college- but we should be honest about the advances in athleticism and the superior time commitment and coaching of players today.

I enjoy talking about player comparisons a lot- anyone else you'd like me to write too much about? haha

Originally posted by NorCalVU10:

David Thompson was recently in the news as he set the scoring record of 32 in a quarter a few hours before George gervin set the record of 33. Gervin needed something like 38 to win the scoring title in the last game of the year following Thompsons 70+ point performance earlier in the day. Gervin wound up winning it, scoring 52 or something like that. The final score that game was something like 154-152, and here people are saying Gervin's record is more impressive than Klay Thompsons because of the 3 point line.
Yeah I think anyone doubting the superiority of shooting today is not honest with their self. We have a guy who is on pace to be the first 50-50-90 shooter in history - and he's not an all star and could be argued as the third best shooter in the league next to Curry and Thompson. Factor in that the 3 point line is longer today and Larry Bird - the holy grail - was a career 37.6% shooter from 3 and it's just reality.

And I'll also add that Walton and Lanier are at this point closer to Paul Arizin's era than they are to Anthony Davis' era

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT