ADVERTISEMENT

Yogi Berra Remembered

ChicagoSux

Diaper Dandy
Oct 10, 2009
yogi1.jpg

"You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." - Yogi Berra

Reactions: kjbert
Yogi Berra has more World Series Championships, than individual states Burrsvain has toured in America. :cool:

I think what most people forget in the morass of weird quotes is that he was a hell of a ballplayer. 59.5 career WAR in 19 seasons. (Ryan Howard career WAR: 16.4).

Caught Don Larsen's perfect game in the world series. 358 career dingers. Dude could play, and he was 5'7" (adp-sized).

Does anyone know/understand exactly how this WAR number is calculated. Spare me the typical line about it being a star that most baseball people use. How is it calculated? For example, slugging percentage is total bases on hits divided by ABs.

Reactions: tkuder007
Does anyone know/understand exactly how this WAR number is calculated. Spare me the typical line about it being a star that most baseball people use. How is it calculated? For example, slugging percentage is total bases on hits divided by ABs.
It's all bullshit if you ask me, has to do with metrics, other than that, nothing.

I had the chance to meet Yogi at a fundraiser for the ill-fated Rudy campaign in the 08 cycle. He was old then. Spent about 10 minutes with him and it was cool to see a bunch of very successful men, including Rudy, worship at his alter. I wasn't a Yankee fan and didn't have any appreciation for Yogi. Seeing how much people revered him was really cool. For the Jersey guys, it was at Sal Conte's house. Joe Piscapo, Rudy, Yogi, Conte...a huge Italian fest. They all loved Yogi. It was cool to see even as the lowly guy in the back of the room.

I had the chance to meet Yogi at a fundraiser for the ill-fated Rudy campaign in the 08 cycle. He was old then. Spent about 10 minutes with him and it was cool to see a bunch of very successful men, including Rudy, worship at his alter. I wasn't a Yankee fan and didn't have any appreciation for Yogi. Seeing how much people revered him was really cool. For the Jersey guys, it was at Sal Conte's house. Joe Piscapo, Rudy, Yogi, Conte...a huge Italian fest. They all loved Yogi. It was cool to see even as the lowly guy in the back of the room.
One of the greatest names in sports history. When I was a kid, my dad took me to Yankee games a lot of times and Yogi was one of my favorite players. He was a real sports hero/role model to a lot of kids back then.

3mvp's playing on same teams as JoeD,TheMICK andRizzuto...........Arguably best bad-ball hitter ever;other would be Clemente

One of the greatest names in sports history. When I was a kid, my dad took me to Yankee games a lot of times and Yogi was one of my favorite players. He was a real sports hero/role model to a lot of kids back then.

TJC, you grew up in NY? You still a Yanks fan? Want to hit a game next summer?

I saw Vlad get 9 rbi's vs Boston & Pedro:Awesome

Yogi never struck out more than 40x's in a season.. Amazing considering he was such a power hitter

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT