ADVERTISEMENT

Baltimore riots

Baltimore is a Democratic city, always has been. Yet somehow Republicans get blamed for things like this. Democrats retain power by keeping minorities down, it's a fact most people are afraid to admit.[/QUOTE

You have to think wider than this - because it's obvious a far more systemic issue than Baltimore ..

Baltimore is a Democratic city, always has been. Yet somehow Republicans get blamed for things like this. Democrats retain power by keeping minorities down, it's a fact most people are afraid to admit.
Baltimore, DC, Philly, Detroit, Chicago all have one thing in common - 50 years of Democratic rule. There's plenty of blame to go around but blaming Republicans is ridiculous. It's a failure of values.

Reactions: kjbert
Unless and until there's a meaningful dialogue about the source of the problem - the breakdown of the black family unit - nothing will change and all the money in the world will just paper over the problem.

Agreed. This mother gives a damn.
gif-1.gif

Have to think that Philly will have it's turn......even though the police are becoming more hesitant to use any kind of force to subdue a thug, there is sure to be an incident that will raise the police brutality flag, and the citizens won't want to be outdone by Baltimore. Could happen during Pope week.

Fact of the matter is, if these kids have parental guidance or a job to go to tomorrow, they don't riot at night.

It's a societal issue. Nothing to gain from rioting. But this will keep happening because these fools don't know any better.

I can't believe these people we treated as "less than" citizens for MOST of our nation's history can't just stop being poor. Fking idiots.

You can agree or disagree with it - I sime truth and some excuses in it , but Peter Angelos had an interesting take on it I thought.

It's all well and good to offer whatever comment you like on whatever side you are on, but none of them address a way to change the cycle. Are the poor just meant to be there to be exploited, drag down cities, taken advantage of, cost taxpayers billions, be minnions, marginalized for our benefit, maginalized to threaten the rest ? Lot of this adds up to governments reminding us for the need for more goverment . Both parties - Dems for assistance and Republicans for more law enforcement and security - but both are more goverment, more power, more of our money and more control. Hard to be pleaesd with any of it.

There really is not a real answer to the issues at hand, either. It is very easy to sit on the i-net at our desk jobs and take shots at the poor. There are so many societal issues confronting inner city kids that it is basically impossible to even come up with a solution.

I read "The Corner", which was one of the foundations of The Wire. That book was depressing and touched pretty much every issue confronting inner city kids. It also offered no solution, and probably for a reason: there is no solution.

I can't believe these people we treated as "less than" citizens for MOST of our nation's history can't just stop being poor. Fking idiots.
I don't think that most people are blaming them for being poor.

It is possible to have compassion for the poor, yet at the same time, express an opinion that firebombing and looting other people's property is reprehensible, self-destructive behavior that cannot be tolerated.

There really is not a real answer to the issues at hand, either. It is very easy to sit on the i-net at our desk jobs and take shots at the poor. There are so many societal issues confronting inner city kids that it is basically impossible to even come up with a solution.

I read "The Corner", which was one of the foundations of The Wire. That book was depressing and touched pretty much every issue confronting inner city kids. It also offered no solution, and probably for a reason: there is no solution.
There is always a solution, Kenny, albeit it's a complicated one. Government CANNOT solve this problem. It's a societal problem. Too many black kids are raised in fatherless families. Until adult black men & women take responsibility for having children, things won't change. Black celebrities and athletes, many of whom came from the ghettos and broken families, need to take a very active part in helping shape a new future for black youths.

It's one thing to be poor but they did not have any good intentions last night and I bet a good portion of them were happy to do what happened.

Can't believe it took almost 2 days before lame hackey "Wire" references crept into this thread. Shoop would not approve.

I think a lot of consideration should be given to truly rethinking how education is done in inner cities. To have what is basically the same system in place there as is in the suburbs where there are more means to address the needs of the individual student doesnt feel very smart in 2015. This can cover a lot of ground - from unions to charter to infrastructure to tax credits. But I think the last 50 years is enough to prove the current system is not good enough nor will i ever be a chance for improving. Not talking about throwing more money at the problem - in fact I suspect someone far smarter than me could create a far more economically efficient system that works better - but it brings us right back to politics again - where there are self interest above all else.

Nothing will ever change in these communities, b/c the folks in these communities don't want to look in the mirror and accept a large portion of the blame. It's everyone elses fault they can't succeed: cops, politicians, the media, schools, me, you, etc. Extreme victim mentality.

Shit, even the mayor displaying some great victim mentality last night. Two days ago she says "give them space to destroy". Then last night she doesn't accept blame for those idiotic comments. Instead she blames the media for spinning her words.

Blame "no jobs", Ok, well lets go burn the CVS down for 20 or so fewer jobs. What head of a company in their right mind would want to open a business in these neighborhoods to create jobs? Even fewer now with CVS now in ashes. Well, corner liquor stores are a decent business I guess. Again, somehow "the man" gets blamed for that too.

Too many shitheads and chronic "victims" breeding more shitheads and chronic "victims." That's why these issues will never go away.

I think a lot of consideration should be given to truly rethinking how education is done in inner cities. To have what is basically the same system in place there as is in the suburbs where there are more means to address the needs of the individual student doesnt feel very smart in 2015. This can cover a lot of ground - from unions to charter to infrastructure to tax credits. But I think the last 50 years is enough to prove the current system is not good enough nor will i ever be a chance for improving. Not talking about throwing more money at the problem - in fact I suspect someone far smarter than me could create a far more economically efficient system that works better - but it brings us right back to politics again - where there are self interest above all else.
You have to be willing to go to school, for education to matter. If nothing can be done to force kids to go to school, what else could possibly be done? You don't think that starts with parenting?

Exactly Cwertz. It all starts at home. But like I said, shitheads and chronic "victims" breeding more shitheads and chronic "victims". Over and over again.

The schools are zoos. Teachers try but are overrun with kids that don't give a shit. Too many of the parents don't give a shit.

You have to be willing to go to school, for education to matter. If nothing can be done to force kids to go to school, what else could possibly be done? You don't think that starts with parenting?

True, but again, have to willing to think much wider than that. Creating new paradigms that consider the obstacles. I think parenting is a part - but what about the kids that are children of poor parenting? Absent parenting? Single parents? Dirt poor parents. That learn more attractively from the streets than current system? That are not blessed with brain function that allows them to advance at the same rates as others?

Too easy to point to parenting or politicians or black history or any of it. In a way you have to ignore all of it and start over. Think different because you know the current will only produce the same on repeat. Cycle has to be boken at some point and sinply saying 'hey, poor black kids, you and your parents need to take more responsibility' doesnt feel like a good plan.

"Cycle has to be boken at some point and sinply saying 'hey, poor black kids, you and your parents need to take more responsibility' doesnt feel like a good plan."

You are right, it won't work. It will only work if people in these communities look in the mirrors and realize it themselves instead of blaming everyone else.

Obama just spoke. Would love for his to address it. He glossed over it. Defintely took shots at Law Enforcement... media... society as a whole...etc

True, but again, have to willing to think much wider than that. Creating new paradigms that consider the obstacles. I think parenting is a part - but what about the kids that are children of poor parenting? Absent parenting? Single parents? Dirt poor parents. That learn more attractively from the streets than current system? That are not blessed with brain function that allows them to advance at the same rates as others?

Too easy to point to parenting or politicians or black history or any of it. In a way you have to ignore all of it and start over. Think different because you know the current will only produce the same on repeat. Cycle has to be boken at some point and sinply saying 'hey, poor black kids, you and your parents need to take more responsibility' doesnt feel like a good plan.
Almost sounds like you are giving the violent protesters a pass for what they did. There are plenty of poor people who did not take part in this rioting.

Almost sounds like you are giving the violent protesters a pass for what they did. There are plenty of poor people who did not take part in this rioting.

Yes, there are. How does it sound like I gave them a pass, exactly?

Because you are writing on how we have to completely change society, basically saying these violent protesters should not be responsible for their actions.

Blaming poverty and lack of educational opportunity for violence is a stupid argument. The poorest and most public assistance reliant county in America has violent and property crime levels that match up with national averages.

It also happens to be 90% white.

You can agree or disagree with it - I sime truth and some excuses in it , but Peter Angelos had an interesting

take on it I thought.

It's all well and good to offer whatever comment you like on whatever side you are on, but none of them address a way to change the cycle. Are the poor just meant to be there to be exploited, drag down cities, taken advantage of, cost taxpayers billions, be minnions, marginalized for our benefit, maginalized to threaten the rest ? Lot of this adds up to governments reminding us for the need for more goverment . Both parties - Dems for assistance and Republicans for more law enforcement and security - but both are more goverment, more power, more of our money and more control. Hard to be pleaesd with any of it.

Just for the sake of highlighting the ridiculous: peter Angelos is the world's biggest dem trial lawyer who held up the city of baltimore and it's taxpayers to build him a new stadium to enrich himself on the backs of taxpayers as opposed to addressing these needs with those same dollars in the community. Are you kidding me?

Wednesday's game in Baltimore will begin at 2:05 p.m. ET but will be played in front of an empty stadium. The weekend series with the Rays has been moved to Tropicana Field. Monday's and today's games are rescheduled for a double-header May 28 in Baltimore.

According to CNN....Orioles closing their game to the public........no fans being let into the game due to the curfew.....

Because you are writing on how we have to completely change society, basically saying these violent protesters should not be responsible for their actions.

That's a pretty inane leap, but whatever. Anyway, no one suggested people not be held responsible for breaking the law or whatever they violent actions. Certainly not me. Given your racists history on this board, I guess such a leap doesn't surprise me. My position is more about how do you propose improving things mowing forward? By telling black people to get off their ass and look in the mirror? Why didnt anyone think of that!?!?!? Maybe because it's worthless?

So what do you rally suggest? My suggestion was perhaps continuing to provide what is obviously not working might not be a great idea. To perhaps get radical with new thinking to take into account the genuine dynamic that causes this shit. All of it. I absolve no one. Not parents, not gov't, not police, not kids, not black communities, not schools, not unions, not anyone. As much as you think even considering multiple root causes is condoning the violent, it doesnt make it a fact.

That's a pretty inane leap, but whatever. Anyway, no one suggested people not be held responsible for breaking the law or whatever they violent actions. Certainly not me. Given your racists history on this board, I guess such a leap doesn't surprise me. My position is more about how do you propose improving things mowing forward? By telling black people to get off their ass and look in the mirror? Why didnt anyone think of that!?!?!? Maybe because it's worthless?

So what do you rally suggest? My suggestion was perhaps continuing to provide what is obviously not working might not be a great idea. To perhaps get radical with new thinking to take into account the genuine dynamic that causes this shit. All of it. I absolve no one. Not parents, not gov't, not police, not kids, not black communities, not schools, not unions, not anyone. As much as you think even considering multiple root causes is condoning the violent, it doesnt make it a fact.

How about not riot and loot your own community? Let's start small by asking to be a simple non-violent member of the community. We'll even give you healthcare and a check each month. Is that too much? Well yes, yes it is.

Wednesday's game in Baltimore will begin at 2:05 p.m. ET but will be played in front of an empty stadium. The weekend series with the Rays has been moved to Tropicana Field, thus it will also be played in front of an empty stadium. Monday's and today's games are rescheduled for a double-header May 28 in Baltimore.

fixed

[sic] Leno

i always am shocked when i see people burning down and looting stores from their own communities. i cant fathom burning down North Wayne Ave in my area. i always say if you want to make a point burn down a white neighborhood, but then again if that happened the army would be send in to resolve the situation. and its not like 500 people from west philly can go unnoticed marching to Merion or Narberth.

How about not riot and loot your own community? Let's start small by asking to be a simple non-violent member of the community. We'll even give you healthcare and a check each month. Is that too much? Well yes, yes it is.

So you're in the "we should just tell black people to stop doing that and keep up the welfare" camp? How's that working out since 1960?

So you're in the "we should just tell black people to stop doing that and keep up the welfare" camp? How's that working out since 1960?
Where exactly did I say any of that? You asked a question and I provided a very simple answer: what can we ask? Easy be a non-violent member of society. We'll even give you healthcare and a hand out.I'm not even saying you need to get a job. Is that too much? To you, guess so.

Where exactly did I say any of that? You asked a question and I provided a very simple answer: what can we ask? Easy be a non-violent member of society. We'll even give you healthcare and a hand out.I'm not even saying you need to get a job. Is that too much? To you, guess so.

You are the king of giving people their opinion. Not even close to what I said. Just trying to figure out where you stand. You're for endless welfare and hoping they dont get violent when they consider themselves wronged. Fine. that's our current policy. Status quo for you. Got it.

My position is, you can ask for whatever you want - knock yourself out. How's it working out? I guess you can also hold your breath and hope Ian Desmond doesnt make any more errors.

I stand in favor of simply respecting the community in which you live. The check and free health care is just another added benefit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT