ADVERTISEMENT

Death Penalty or Life................

Mainliner II

VUSports.com Legend
Apr 25, 2006
Jury has reached decision in the trial of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev..........to be announced shortly. Who's in favor of the injection?

verdict

Either way is fine with me. But, if it were my decision alone, I would sentence him to life so he cannot fulfill his desire to be a martyr. Let him spend the rest of his life, probably 50+ years, in an 8x8 cell.

either way its death , the gen pop would kill him. so he either gets solitary or death. not sure which is worse.

Originally posted by NickleDimer:
Maybe it's time we as a civilization give up on the idea of redemptive violence. It doesn't seem to be working out.
What makes you say this?

Society is morally obliged to put people who do such things to death. If he goes to prison, he'll spread his creed to people who will eventually out of prison.

Also, if people say "he wants to be a martyr" as if that's some type of reason not to execute him. Give him his wish, the continued existence of people like this are a societal cancer that should be excised.

Originally posted by TheFoyeEffect:
Society is morally obliged to put people who do such things to death.
What makes you say this?

Would like to see J.H. Christ weigh in on this. Hopefully he sticks around, and is not just another risen savior who leaves the newsgroup high and dry, like Shoop.

Loved reading the scribbled note he put on the inside the boat panel while awaiting his 42 virgins!

The web photos feature {hole} where bullet holes later ripped into the boat but unfortunately didn't do near enough damage to him. At least the idiot ran over his brother. That's something.

Still the bullet holes make his "manifesto" somewhat comic in that it appears to say things like "...he who Allah guides no man can misguide. A {hole}" ... making him appear to be giving due to his devil.

It also later has, "As a M{hole}, I..."

Let him live to be 106 in solitary or with a Bubba.

What makes you say this?

Would like to see J.H. Christ weigh in on this. Hopefully he sticks around, and is not just another risen savior who leaves the newsgroup high and dry, like Shoop.
To quote Adam Smith, "Mercy to the guilty is cruelty to the innocent."

What makes you say this?

To quote Adam Smith, "Mercy to the guilty is cruelty to the innocent."
To quote Batman Begins:

Henri Ducard: Your compassion is a weakness your enemies will not share.
Bruce Wayne: That's why it's so important. It separates us from them.

Can't participate in mortal violence.

Originally posted by BigEAST89:
rot in a cell with no form of entertainment
Unfortunately, America is well on the way to banishing solitary confinement.

I support the death penalty because it provides prosecutors an extra tool in their arsenal in order to keep someone in prison until they die in order to prevent trials. When life without parole is the only possible penalty for first degree murder, the prosecutor is either compelled to take a murderer to trial, or offer him a chance to get out of prison at some point.

What makes you say this?

J.H. Christ was put to death, and things worked out rather handsomely for Him, didn't they?

I am proud to live in a state that has outlawed the death penalty and I am pissed that this animal may be executed for a crime committed in that state.

We are (should be) better than those that kill. Murdering him won't bring back those 4 innocent people. I trust my peers will do the correct thing, the Christian thing and sentence him to life in SUPERMAX
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I support the death penalty because it provides prosecutors an extra tool in their arsenal in order to keep someone in prison until they die in order to prevent trials. When life without parole is the only possible penalty for first degree murder, the prosecutor is either compelled to take a murderer to trial, or offer him a chance to get out of prison at some point.
For a staunch supporter of the constitution, I'm surprised you so quickly turn a blind eye from the 8th amendment.

While I think the death penalty itself is torture, the estimated 4% of innocent people currently sitting on death row also qualifies as such.

Put them in jail and throw away the key. Revenge is about you making yourself feel better. It's not the right thing to do.

I would be surprised if a Massachusetts jury handed out the death penalty. This ain't Texas.

Foye - He'd be sent to a federal super max prison and have no contact with any other prisoners. Imagine spending 50+ years in an 8x8 cell with no human contact? That's punishment!!

This post was edited on 4/8 8:53 PM by tjc3844

Originally posted by NovaNation1188:

For a staunch supporter of the constitution, I'm surprised you so quickly turn a blind eye from the 8th amendment.

While I think the death penalty itself is torture, the estimated 4% of innocent people currently sitting on death row also qualifies as such.

Put them in jail and throw away the key. Revenge is about you making yourself feel better. It's not the right thing to do.
Capital punishment is in the Bill of Rights. The fifth amendment explicitly endorses it.

"(n)o person shall be held to answer for a capital . . . crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, . . . nor be deprived of life . . . without due process of law."

Originally posted by tjc3844:
Moye - He'd be sent to a federal super max prison and have no contact with any other prisoners. Imagine spending 50+ years in an 8x8 cell with no human contact? That's punishment!!
Cant edit.

Freudian if ive ever seen it.

Whatever, MWG. If you have an Apple computer then you know it "suggests" words based on your typing history. Foye is very close to Moye. And since I have Moye on my list of email addresses, that's how it happened. If you want to make it into some kind of mysterious Freudian slip rather than discussing the thread topic, go for it! It's completely meaningless and silly. But, this is 4.6 after all.

So TJC blaming an Apple glitch?

I have an apple and when typing in a plaint text editor box like the one on Rivals, I never get auto corrects. To suggest its pulling in recent email contacts as suggestive text is doubly erroneous.

Nice try though.

Final verdict: Freudian slip.

I'd sign on for the death penalty - for me, not Joker.

Oklahoma - fusillade

Need some kind of Executive Action - Reverse Clemency?

J.H. says you can't take matters into your own hands, and I'm not really interested in heinous crime.

Not depressed, and don't even hate my job, I just don't want to go anymore...

Office-Space.jpg

Thanks for nothing, Obama.

The process to execute criminals in the United States is a long-winding road with automatic appeals that often takes years and costs taxpayers several million dollars - on average 10 times as much to imprison someone for life.

Originally posted by TheDean:
The process to execute criminals in the United States is a long-winding road with automatic appeals that often takes years and costs taxpayers several million dollars - on average 10 times as much to imprison someone for life.
Exactly right. Utter waste of money.

Throw him away in an 8x8 - let him see the sun for an hour a week or so. Cant think of a lesser existence than that.

I would rather see him fried on TV, but I guess life in the Federal Supermax prison in Colorado is what will happen. 23 hrs/day alone in his cell - 1 hr/day alone in a confined yard for exercise.

I would like to hear everyones thoughts on the proper punishment for police officials that fire 8 shots into a man who is running away from a broken taillight and child support bill.
Death.

You don't think that if the death penalty is abolished, courts would greatly expand the scope with which prisoners sentenced to life without parole could seek state and federal habeas?

There are 50,000 people in America sentenced to life without parole compared to 3,000 sentenced to death. A good number of the people who are sentenced to life in prison received that sentence because they pleaded guilty with the stipulation that they would be sentenced to life while agreeing to forfeit their rights to appeal. Those people would have zero incentive to do that if there wasn't a more severe sentence.

Originally posted by Mr. Wade Garrett:

Moye - He'd be sent to a federal super max prison and have no contact with any other prisoners. Imagine spending 50+ years in an 8x8 cell with no human contact? That's punishment!!
Cant edit.

This is classic.

How is Robert doing these days?

Originally posted by Helen&HouseDicks:
So TJC blaming an Apple glitch?

I have an apple and when typing in a plaint text editor box like the one on Rivals, I never get auto corrects. To suggest its pulling in recent email contacts as suggestive text is doubly erroneous.

Nice try though.

Final verdict: Freudian slip.

Pathological liars fascinate me and scare me at the same time.

You don't think that if the death penalty is abolished, courts would greatly expand the scope with which prisoners sentenced to life without parole could seek state and federal habeas?

There are 50,000 people in America sentenced to life without parole compared to 3,000 sentenced to death. A good number of the people who are sentenced to life in prison received that sentence because they pleaded guilty with the stipulation that they would be sentenced to life while agreeing to forfeit their rights to appeal. Those people would have zero incentive to do that if there wasn't a more severe sentence.
I'm not too worried about it - see McClesky v. Zant 499 U.S. 467 (1991)

I would like to hear everyones thoughts on the proper punishment for police officials that fire 8 shots into a man who is running away from a broken taillight and child support bill.
We should have empathy for the fatherless child who is not receiving any support. Edit, and forgive any future sins on humanity this child will likely commit. He had no chance. Maybe we can find a trial lawyer to sue the cops for killing the father who wasn't around?

This post was edited on 4/9 11:35 AM by adp98

Cant edit.

winner-winner-chicken-dinner1.png

It's going to come down to if he is put on the stand in the punishment phase. If he directly addresses the jury and family and apologizes and show a believe able sorrow for his deeds, he MIGHT escape the death penalty. If he testifies along the line of the notes he left, he'll be justifiably condemned to death. I'm pretty neutral on the death penalty. But, I sure don't want this asshole to become a martyr and be used as an excuse for more terrorism by Islamic jihadists.

Originally posted by nardibynature123:

Cant edit.

ec
th

I think the cop should be severely punished, ND. But, I don't believe he should be executed. None of us knows what it's like to be a cop who puts his/her life on the line every day. You never know if you're coming home at night. I can certainly see how that could affect your judgment. Having said all of that I believe what he did was wrong

The idea that Tsarnaev shouldn't receive the maximum punishment because it would make him a "martyr" is essentially conceding to the terrorists. If he wants to be a martyr, he should be granted his wish, because not only would the world be a better place with one fewer jihadist, but he would be propelled into a permanent state of nothingness, which is exactly what he deserves.

I understand your point of view Foye, but I'm not sure radical Muslims would see it that way. I think they could use his execution as a rallying cry for the Jihad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT