ADVERTISEMENT

March MLS talk

You'd think that recommendation could've at least got him a spot somewhere in Europe, but alas no.

Hopefully I'm wrong. For USMNTs sake at least. Even if that means good things for NYCFC.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by TMJ45:
You'd think that recommendation could've at least got him a spot somewhere in Europe, but alas no.

Hopefully I'm wrong. For USMNTs sake at least. Even if that means good things for NYCFC.
Yeah, he could have gone to some shitty team in the Netherlands, but I think there these guys see living here and raising a family as something that is important. That's what Dempsey and Bradley have stated. I don't know what these guys are thinking, but I am sure there is a comfort level of being in the US. I like it, I want these guys to play together on the US team as much as they can. The US almost has 2 teams unless it is a major tournament (WC GC) where it is guys playing in the EU or in the US.

But Mix isn't from here. He's european. That doesn't make a ton of sense for him (although it would explain Bradley's move)

Originally posted by TMJ45:
But Mix isn't from here. He's european. That doesn't make a ton of sense for him (although it would explain Bradley's move)
Fair enough, I just think playing for the US team for 5 plus years makes him long for stability. (Probably doesn't make sense).

If you have BEIN Sports, tune into La Liga, and anytime FC Barcelona plays. Their front line of Neymar, Suarez and Messi is absolutely incredible. Barca would drop 10 (no hyperbole) on half the MLS teams if they ever played at Camp Nou in any meaningful game.

Originally posted by steve_vu9196:
If you have BEIN Sports, tune into La Liga, and anytime FC Barcelona plays. Their front line of Neymar, Suarez and Messi is absolutely incredible. Barca would drop 10 (no hyperbole) on half the MLS teams if they ever played at Camp Nou in any meaningful game.
They could drop 10 on half of La Liga.

Mix is Norwegian, but he was raised in Arizona.

I don't like the Lampard debacle. Still angry about that. But he plays for my team and I will support him. If you watched Ballouchy and Grabavoy on Sunday, it's obvious we need him.

Originally posted by NickleDimer:
How many more years until Messi comes to MLS? 7? 8? I can't wait. It's going to be amazing. Like when Willie Mays playing for the Mets.
Messi will NEVER play in MLS. His English is terrible - also one of the reasons he probably never jumps to the Premier League. I could see Ronaldo pulling a Beckham and coming over here for a bit. His English is quite good. It's a big barrier for some of these guys. Messi also thrives with playmaking teammates. You won't find a frequent goal scoring defensive back like Pique on any MLS team let alone being backed up by Iniesta, Xavi and Raketic with Neymar and Vampire flanking you.

I think Ronaldo will come before Messi. The wildcard with Messi is the tax evasion charges. He might be forced to leave Barcelona.

Ronaldo will be here by 2019, after his contract expires.

Originally posted by NickleDimer:
How many more years until Messi comes to MLS? 7? 8? I can't wait. It's going to be amazing. Like when Willie Mays playing for the Mets.
Messi will NEVER play in MLS. His English is terrible - also one of the reasons he probably never jumps to the Premier League. I could see Ronaldo pulling a Beckham and coming over here for a bit. His English is quite good. It's a big barrier for some of these guys. Messi also thrives with playmaking teammates. You won't find a frequent goal scoring defensive back like Pique on any MLS team let alone being backed up by Iniesta, Xavi and Raketic with Neymar and Vampire flanking you.
David Villa couldn't speak a word of English in November.

Now he is conversational. I agree speaking English is a barrier but these guys don't care. Especially with the money they are making. Messi and Ronaldo will make $20 Million a year here in salary and probably another $40-$50 Million a year in endorsements. Talking Michael Jordan money.

These guys are rock stars over there, I am sure that gets old quickly. However, they could come to America and be relatively unknown, that has to be enticing, right?

I mean comparing one of the top teams, if not the current, top team in the world to the mls is a little silly. It's really apples and oranges. MLS has a salary cap and all kinds of mechanisms in place right now to ensure parity and conservative spending to ensure the survival of the league as it continues to grow. This makes the best and worst teams in the MLS much closer than the best and worst teams in many European leagues.

Barcelona would wreck all mls teams with probably their reserve players. Heck even Henry, mls's best player the last few years, was coming off the bench for Barca before he was transferred. I'm sure most people posting in this thread realize the mastery and skill with which the top European clubs play with and have watched Barcelona if only very casually this year. It doesn't mean that we can't also appreciate the play in MLS as well.

Electric night at Yankee Stadium tonight for NYCFC. 2-0 win over the defending Eastern Conference Champions New England Revolution. 43,000 in attendance. Loudest Yankee Stadium has been since the Raul Ibanez walk off 3 years ago against Detroit.

I can't tell if mix is like 25 or 45 yrs old

Great atmosphere in the Bronx. Good to see quality soccer being played in the states.

Why are the announcers saying that it is more difficult to find space in a baseball field moreso than a traditional field? Aren't they the same dimensions?

David Villa bringing the house down at Yankee stadium!! That was nice

Tickle jakes is going to be on the nycfc bandwagon soon enough!

Nope Still harassing the ticket guys. Trying to get my money back. Still a ****ing joke of a club.

Originally posted by qwe015:
Why are the announcers saying that it is more difficult to find space in a baseball field moreso than a traditional field? Aren't they the same dimensions?
Nope, not all pitches are uniform.

To use the EPL as an example, Queens Park Rangers have the smallest pitch, followed by Spurs' White Hart Lane.

The Yankee Stadium pitch is tighter and shorter than other MLS pitches. But being there, you really couldn't tell the difference. I do think teams that try to play out wide with their fullbacks would struggle at Yankee Stadium, but NYCFC do not have competent fullbacks right now.

Question:

How come the expansion teams would be at a disadvantage? Their designated players are great. And throughout mls the non-designated players are all mediocre. So why can't the expansion teams compete right away?

I'm liking Orlando. Kaka looks pretty good

Because most of their roster is made up of mediocre players.

But if you can sign three world class players, it matters.

Shut most of the mls non-designated players are mediocre. The Lee Nguyen and charlie Davies types are the exception.

Heading to the home opener tomorrow for the Red Bulls. First match in the post-Henry/post-Petke era

All 15,000 of the fans at RBA seem to be having an enjoyable afternoon. Yuk.

Is Kacie McDonnell, the mls sideline reporter, the same one Dr van obsesses over?

By the way, the mls app is awesome. I watch at least a couple of games per week on it. Usually when I'm passing out at night, and I don't always finish them, but I have every game at my finger tips.

I'm into the Uefa right now. Best soccer in the world. I don't follow the national club leagues at all. Not against them, but with college hoops I just don't have time for them. If ever a good playoff game approaches please do advise and I will set my tivo. But I only have so much time.

But now that I don't watch baseball anymore, mls is my sports fix. It's perfect. And the mls app is great. Unlike watchespn3, they don't give away the game outcome on the log in page (they actually have an option to turn scores off). You can do highlights or the condensed game. I do the archived game, as I'm looking more for the 90 minute futbol fix than catching up on the highlights and action. But they really have it figured out.

Is Kacie McDonnell, the mls sideline reporter, the same one Dr van obsesses over?
Yes. She moved to Kansas City and reports on Sporting Kansas City. Don't know how that is a step up but isn't her fiance a back-up QB for the Chiefs?

Originally posted by kjbert:
Yes. She moved to Kansas City and reports on Sporting Kansas City. Don't know how that is a step up but isn't her fiance a back-up QB for the Chiefs?
They broke it off, but apparently she kept the ring

Originally posted by TooTchuisi:

Originally posted by kjbert:

They broke it off, but apparently she kept the ring
Really? He must have really wanted to get rid of her.

Not mls talk, but when do the good club leagues start their playoffs? I might try to follow those a bit more this year. I love the champions league, but it is so long between matches.

I'm thinking the german league, spanish league and Italian leage. Maybe the french league. The English league bores me.

Not mls talk, but when do the good club leagues start their playoffs? I might try to follow those a bit more this year. I love the champions league, but it is so long between matches.

I'm thinking the german league, spanish league and Italian leage. Maybe the french league. The English league bores me.
Hey to burst your bubble, but not of the top European leagues have playoffs. Generally the only playoffs that happen are for promotion from the second divison into the top league

Regular season champ just wins it? Wow, that sucks.

They are leaving s ton of money on the table.

I thought it was strange that I never stumbled upon club league olayoff games

All about Orlando City. Kaka is a beast. If they can play defense and are patient enough to get him the ball on offense, he is a threat to score everytime he touches the ball. The rest of the team is whatever, so he is only going to get so many touches, but he's pretty good.

Been watching NYCFC, haven't got a feel for their game yet.

Really enjoyed the revolutions and sounders last yr, but only have so much mls time per week.

Xavi Hernandez to NYCFC?
He's off to Qatar. Turns out our manager didn't want him.

Latest rumor was Daniele De Rossi from Roma to NYCFC in the summer.

Gr8 game last night by Man City B. I'm sure Lampard is chomping at the bit to get there. Wouldn't be surprised if he never plays for that farce.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT