ADVERTISEMENT

PSU National

excattyguy

'Nova Nation Sensation
Nov 29, 2007
Several good results -- Ellison's 800 1:48+ Denault 4:00.04 mile McEntee 8:08+ 3000 Akande and Schappert cut about 5 sec. of their PB in the mile and Lipari ran 4:39+ in the mile for third. Reid won in 4:30+

Margey ran 2:08+ for 800 and Picirillo ran 4:40+ for the mile

This post was edited on 1/26 7:38 PM by excattyguy

This post was edited on 1/27 12:04 AM by excattyguy

Looking at the results, penn state is building a very strong program. Psu fresh ran 3:59, 4x200 team set natl record and Loxsom is a stud. They had 5th best recruiting class last year. Too bad they lost Brady gehret, he left school last week.

The kid Ellison kicked down transferred from Missouri and finished ahead of Sam at nationals last year and was fourth indoors.

In going over the results, I too was struck by how deep the Penn State men were. Some of it is from in-state, but there is also a lot from out-of-state - even Africa (leg on 4x200 is from Zimbabwe). I know it is a state school (like a whole bunch of track powers - Florida St., Oregon, etc.), but how are they able to do it? This is a discussion unto itself. Interesting point is what happens when Villanova and Penn State hook-up in 4x800? It is very possible that they will meet in Millrose Collegiate 4x800. The VU team will probably be Fitzsimons, McEntee, Williamsz & Ellison - probably in that order. Penn State has a lot of bodies. Other than Loxum, who will they use? Be a test for VU.

Note on that subject, that one of Penn State's better 800 runners is freshman Zavon Watkins. But I believe Ben Malone beat him, last year, at some major event.

How good are Kieran Brennan and Josh Lampron, now?

Surprised at how well Andrew Golato did. 1:52.9 is a vast improvement.

Need to take a closer look at Tully. He keeps surprising.

Why did Gehret leave?
This post was edited on 1/27 9:59 PM by sebastianc

Both Brennan and Lampron will have four years of eligibility next year. I was extremely impressed with Brennan in person.

Evidently the coach that Gehret worked closely with left for Arkansas. Not sure if he's transferring or just focusing on national meets, like Andrews from UVa. I know VU has a great history, but I can't imagine the facilities are close to Penn St. Their indoor track is incredible.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

1967 Messenger, Donnelly, Mc Cormack, Patrick, Buerkle, Murphy, Hamilton

1980 was pretty strong: Tufariello, Paige, England, Hunter, Maree, Pinkowski, Childs, & Korir

1979 pretty much the same group Add Burns subtract Hunter

1984 O'Neill, G. O'Reilly, A O'Reilly, O'Keeffe, O'Sullivan (notice a pattern here), Keyworth

Best I could do from memory

Saw the entries. Lots of questions about where are some people - e.g., Bowers, Hines, Mildenhal, Williamsz, Mimic,...?

Bigger question: Why is McEntee in the college 3000 and not the championship heat?

It looks like McEntee is running the 3000 basically as a workout, like how he did the 5000 at the Big East outdoor meet last year.

Gehret from PSU flunked out according to Let's Run.
How do you flunk out so late in you collegiate career?
Are there no yearly academic benchmarks at PSU/

Whitecat,
Academically ineligible does not mean flunked out. The messages on Lets Run were obnoxious and filled with presumptions. Penn St is a great school and they provide incredible academic support for athletes. An athlete almost has to try to be unsuccessful. Yearly standards? How about weekly monitoring. You can't make a kid go to class or do his work. Again, ineligible doesnkt mean he flunked out. An ineligible student-athlete has some academic issues, so maybe he didn't want to be on campus if he couldn't run. Many comments on Let's Run were in appropriate.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Thorvac,

I thought the posts on Let's Run were strange, but many of their threads are.
My kid sister was PSU 1975, and I have always been a PSU fan

OT: There is a big wrestling match soon between PSU and the Hawkeyes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT