ADVERTISEMENT

1985 NC vs. 2016 NC: Which Coaching Job Was Better?

Banjo13

All VUSports.com Team
Dec 23, 2011
In my opinion, the two best coaching jobs I have ever seen were by Rollie in 1985 and Jay in 2016, during the NCAA Tourney. Which Coach had the more difficult path and did the better Coaching job given the personnel and the opponents?

In my opinion, the two best coaching jobs I have ever seen were by Rollie in 1985 and Jay in 2016, during the NCAA Tourney. Which Coach had the more difficult path and did the better Coaching job given the personnel and the opponents?
That's a really tough call, Banjo. I think I'd have to go with Jay just based on the fact that 4 of the 6 games were blowouts three of which were against teams that had been ranked in the top 5 during the season. Most sportswriters seem to agree that it was one of if not the most impressive run in the history of the tournament.

That's a really tough call, Banjo. I think I'd have to go with Jay just based on the fact that 4 of the 6 games were blowouts three of which were against teams that had been ranked in the top 5 during the season. Most sportswriters seem to agree that it was one of if not the most impressive run in the history of the tournament.
The fact that they were blowouts would mean that he didn't really have to do any crunch time coaching, right?

One was an 8-seed, who wasn't a lock to make tourney. The other was s 2-seed, arguably could have been a 1-seed, and who spent some time ranked #1. Oh yea, in a weaker version of CBB. Kind of obvious to me.

One was an 8-seed, who wasn't a lock to make tourney. The other was s 2-seed, arguably could have been a 1-seed, and who spent some time ranked #1. Oh yea, in a weaker version of CBB. Kind of obvious to me.
So I know something?

Burrs' 8 seed vs. 2 seed argument makes a very good point. However, I was thinking, to some extent, about the record setting 44 pt. blowout in the FF.

There is a reason that had never before been done. I have to think it took one helluva coaching job to get a team to that level of performance, along with an excellent game plan.
Best player in the country held to what, 8 points?

Reactions: Mr. Wade Garrett
A fine post-championship accomplishment management by burrs here. Pistol whipping the most dangerous team in the Tourney and draining a winning three on long-practiced play after UNC hits a ridiculous double clutch three? Burss is not impressed. not enough 18 footers.

Burrs' 8 seed vs. 2 seed argument makes a very good point. However, I was thinking, to some extent, about the record setting 44 pt. blowout in the FF.

There is a reason that had never before been done. I have to think it took one helluva coaching job to get a team to that level of performance, along with an excellent game plan.
A huge margin of victory definitely indicates an exceptional coaching job. Particularly in the case of OU who, as you point out, had the nation's best player who was neutralized. It's been a pretty common thread in stories written about the tourney that this was the most impressive run in the history of the tourney. That didn't happen by accident. It was the result of excellent coaching and motivation. Also not mentioned so far in this thread is that we beat the overall #1 seed in the tourney completely dominating their #1 player. That way more than offsets the 8 seed vs. 2 seed argument.

In 1985 Villanova's win over mighty Georgetown is widely considered one of the greatest upsets ever. Coaching had nothing to do with it. My bad.

And no one said that this year didn't feature great coaching. It certainly did. But that wasn't the question.

Here's a fact.

Entering the 2016 tourney Nova was one of a handful of teams thought to be good enough to cut down the nets. In 1985, no one thought Nova could win that tournament. No one!

Leave it to pussy, paranoid Nova fans to suggest expectations are being managed when another Nova championship team is being slightly more complimented.

Reactions: RimJobbLarry
In 1985 Villanova's win over mighty Georgetown is widely considered one of the greatest upsets ever. Coaching had nothing to do with it. My bad.

And no one said that this year didn't feature great coaching. It certainly did. But that wasn't the question.

Here's a fact.

Entering the 2016 tourney Nova was one of a handful of teams thought to be good enough to cut down the nets. In 1985, no one thought Nova could win that tournament. No one!

Leave it to pussy, paranoid Nova fans to suggest expectations are being managed when another Nova championship team is being slightly more complimented.
"Leave it to pussy, paranoid Nova fans to suggest expectations are being managed when another Nova championship team is being slightly more complimented."
So, by your own words then, you are not a Nova fan like the rest of us who you now call pussies & paranoid. Props for finally admitting it, burrsie.

If "coaching" includes putting the team together, then 2016. 80s BE teams had a nice recruiting edge and the league was definitely considered to at least one of the top 2. There were questions about how programs would progress in the new BE. To win a championship in this era of football dominance is off the charts.

But if not, then 1985, seed argument is valid.

"Leave it to pussy, paranoid Nova fans to suggest expectations are being managed when another Nova championship team is being slightly more complimented."
So, by your own words then, you are not a Nova fan like the rest of us who you now call pussies & paranoid. Props for finally admitting it, burrsie.

I'm a fan of Jay and his teams. I enjoy watching them. I'm not emotionally attached or a diehard like many of you. I have always been clear on this. I watched every single tourney game they played this year. It was a great run and well-deserved, but once it ended that was it for me. I didn't splash keyboards for the next month watching the game-winning shot over and over.

Sorry I don't read every thread. Too busy coding up my new website. I've been wired in all weekend.

Some good points made here. However, we should remember that Rollie did it with 5 players, and practically no bench. Jay had some good subs, as in Booth vs. UNC, and Bridges.

They were still Amazing feats both years.

Primary reason it had never been done before is because that was the first field of 64 the NCAA ever seeded ... the process is now more robust.

Reactions: NickleDimer
Some good points made here. However, we should remember that Rollie did it with 5 players, and practically no bench. Jay had some good subs, as in Booth vs. UNC, and Bridges.

They were still Amazing feats both years.

Jensen was the 6th man. Plansky and Everson also played off the bench. Eight man rotation where 7 and 8 played sparingly ;)
One could argue that when you have no bench it is easy to manage it.

Primary reason it had never been done before is because that was the first field of 64 the NCAA ever seeded ... the process is now more robust.

I don't recall all of the particulars. But is it fair to say that if the Field of 64 had started in '86, then Nova doesn't make it? Again I don't recall what the at-large/auto breakdown was.

I don't recall all of the particulars. But is it fair to say that if the Field of 64 had started in '86, then Nova doesn't make it? Again I don't recall what the at-large/auto breakdown was.
Yes. They were on pins and needles waiting to see if they would get in. Prior to the first game of the 1985 BET, they knew if they lost that game they wouldn't get in.

Jensen was the 6th man. Plansky and Everson also played off the bench. Eight man rotation where 7 and 8 played sparingly ;)
One could argue that when you have no bench it is easy to manage it.
Jensen was the 6th man in name only. Wilbur started but was pulled after about 3 or 4 minutes - he was off his game at that point in the season (the Tourney.)

Plansky was a Frosh. As I recall, He and Everson played about a total of 2 minutes vs GTown. Plansky missed his one shot, a foul shot. Everson took no shots.

Do people still engage that clown? Grow up. He's a Philly troll. Just ignore him.
Fair point. The day after a national title buzzer beater he had already shrugged it off and was breaking down Carson Wentz vs. Idaho State game film. A self fellating CoP "objective" sports observer blowhard in the Mike Missanelli mold.

So, if my opinion was that '16 was the better coaching job, would that be considered managing the expectations of the '85 team?

How am I trolling by offering up another opinion favoring another Nova title team?

Do people still engage that clown? Grow up. He's a Philly troll. Just ignore him.
Wade, now Burrs is accusing PSU players of accepting cash with the full knowledge of Pat Chambers. His hate for all things Nova is unparalleled.

Wade, now Burrs is accusing PSU players of accepting cash with the full knowledge of Pat Chambers. His hate for all things Nova is unparalleled.

Shut up, Cheek.

Yea, because this stuff doesn't happen at major colleges across the country.

Shut up, Cheek.

Yea, because this stuff doesn't happen at major colleges across the country.
Don't tell me to shut up, HATER! YOUR HATE OF NOVA IS DISGUSTING! No wonder you've driven so many posters off BW with your constant bullshit.

Don't tell me to shut up, HATER! YOUR HATE OF NOVA IS DISGUSTING! No wonder you've driven so many posters off BW with your constant bullshit.

This has nothing to do with Nova you idiot. And I wasn't the first one to imply it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT