ADVERTISEMENT

2015 Music

Chimpat

VUSports.com All-American
Sep 22, 2001
Here's some stuff I've been listening to in the first half of 2015. The Lord Huron album is my favorite of the year so far. Leon Bridges is going to be pretty big, just heard some of his music in the new Apple commercial. Feel free to add on or recommend other stuff.

Lord Huron - "Meet Me In The Woods"

Chimpat, did you make it to the Lord Huron concert at Terminal 5 in April? If so, how were they?

Any of the SF crew heading down to Levi's this weekend? Sunday is The Butcher's bday gonna hop a party bus down melt my face off and ride the dragon through a sky filled with rainbows and breasts. Can't wait.

After everyone talking about MMJ I took a listen: don't get it. Wasn't impressed even a little.

Reactions: ericw
After everyone talking about MMJ I took a listen: don't get it. Wasn't impressed even a little.
Stick to tiesto then. But what did you listen to? They are the best live rock band out there right now... probably better live than their albums represent.

Buddy was at the Leon Bridges show last night in Williamsburg and said it was great.

Believe it was their latest album.
Right now, listening to little tiesto and Busta bust, much better

ADP, not sure what you listened to but I usually recommend their live album "Okonokos" for people starting out, that's the album that really got me into them. Their recorded stuff is good but they're a great live band. Still might not be your thing but worth a shot listening to that one.

I saw Leon Bridges open for Sharon Van Etten early this year, man he was great. His shows are selling out all over.

Tropics sounds like a subpar version of something that would have come out during my high school grunge Era. Can't hold a candle to that stuff

I enjoy good music and will give it another shot with their live stuff​

Leon Bridges is going to blow up.

Agreed, if he hasn't already. His 2 shows in NYC this week were hot tickets. He has a show later this year at the Apollo that should be epic. Has anyone seen a show at the Apollo recently?

Last edited:
I am admittedly one of the more recent MMJ followers - definitely a pattern for me. Rare for me to be on the front lines of a band - usually take a bit to find it and then get into it. Used to have a girl in my office who was one of those hipster "they were good when ..." and the band would be about 10 minutes old. But I have to say, MMJ just continues to impress me in every way. They're sonically a great listen, solid lyrically and just a great band all around. They have written some great tunes. Some take a few plays, but they really hit you well. Try "I"m Amazed" or "Off The Record" or "Big Decisions" "Holding on to Black Metal"

Jim James is pretty much a genius.

The latest album might be James' best effort lyrically... not their greatest album by any stretch but as as songwriter he continues to get better. I am a fan of some of his other projects as well... the solo album is a great listen though a bit more atmospheric, ethereal and electronic than the MMJ stuff and for me, his contributions to the monsters of folk album were probably the best of that bunch.

At some point I am hoping they give a formal release to the Terminal 5 shows they did a while back so we can get live versions of all the albums pre-circuital, but I don't know why that hasn't happened yet, but those shows were amazing.

Had a cool run in with Jim James at jazz fest a few years back, late night after MMJ had closed out the Gentilly stage that afternoon... was at Pres Hall, watching Steve Earle/Pres Hall and Jim was hanging out in the back like the rest of us. Was a super friendly dude and you could tell he was as into Steve Earle's set as anyone there.

His contribution to The New Basement Tapes was probably the best stuff on there. How great is Steve Earle? Have not seen him on a few years now but he used to put on a really good show.

Had a cool run in with Jim James at jazz fest a few years back, late night after MMJ had closed out the Gentilly stage that afternoon... was at Pres Hall, watching Steve Earle/Pres Hall and Jim was hanging out in the back like the rest of us. Was a super friendly dude and you could tell he was as into Steve Earle's set as anyone there.

Jim is a real nice guy. Actually, the whole band are just a real good group of guys, I've been fortunate to meet them a couple times and they've been real cool.

Unrelated, digging this song from the new Dawes album quite a bit.

Here's some stuff I've been listening to in the first half of 2015. The Lord Huron album is my favorite of the year so far. Leon Bridges is going to be pretty big, just heard some of his music in the new Apple commercial. Feel free to add on or recommend other stuff.

Lord Huron - "Meet Me In The Woods"

Sounds like something off Lost in the Dream by The War on Drugs ... if this is the best song on the album it must be a snooze-fest.

Reactions: NickleDimer
His contribution to The New Basement Tapes was probably the best stuff on there. How great is Steve Earle? Have not seen him on a few years now but he used to put on a really good show.
It was around the Treme time so seeing him at Pres Hall was pretty sweet. He put on a great show and played a few songs with pres hall backing that were fun. Most of the cast was in attendance as well which was kind of cool.

Dawes has been hanging out with Jackson Browne too much.
interestingly enough Chimpat and I saw Dawes with Jackson Browne and John McCauley... he probably remember better than I but I definitely remember a Zevon cover.

interestingly enough Chimpat and I saw Dawes with Jackson Browne and John McCauley... he probably remember better than I but I definitely remember a Zevon cover.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know they have been hanging around and doing some gigs. Fine with Dawes embracing their SoCal roots and influences, just don't ignore how good you are on your own. I have not gotten too into their newest yet, and I do appreciate that they are cranking out material, but I wasnt crazy about Stories Don't End and not loving this new one much yet either. Got to give it a few more listens.

Sounds like something off Lost in the Dream by The War on Drugs ... if this is the best song on the album it must be a snooze-fest.

Haha, doesn't remind me of War on Drugs at all but to each his own.

Reactions: ericw
interestingly enough Chimpat and I saw Dawes with Jackson Browne and John McCauley... he probably remember better than I but I definitely remember a Zevon cover.

One of my favorite days of music ever. Incredible finale at the Blues Café. Zevon's "Play It All Night Long"

I am a huge fan of 90's music, all I listen to is 90's on 9 and Lithium on Sirius. Are there any bands that fit that mold anymore?

I am a huge fan of 90's music, all I listen to is 90's on 9 and Lithium on Sirius. Are there any bands that fit that mold anymore?

The faux-angry, flannel wearing, doucher mold? They may have morphed their appearance a bit but this form of slacker has always been around.

Check out a band called Cheap Girls. Some great tunes, Knock Me Over is one, and solid record Famous Graves.

Back to the original topic.. Revivalists have a new album coming out mid July. Two tracks out already are solid. They play at the Bowery then in Brooklyn July 15/16. Will be at the bowery show for sure and maybe both. They are well worth the 20 bucks to see them live.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT