ADVERTISEMENT

2015 Music

if you need a rap fix go no further than Kendrick Lamar ("bulletproof my chevy doors … lay in the white house and get high"):

bumping this just to say that the Jason Isbell album is worth the hype finally got a chance to listen last week and have had it on a ton since.... Masterful song writing. I liked the previous album southeastern quite a bit and this one is even better.

Reactions: Chimpat
bumping this just to say that the Jason Isbell album is worth the hype finally got a chance to listen last week and have had it on a ton since.... Masterful song writing. I liked the previous album southeastern quite a bit and this one is even better.

Really strong album. I LOVE Southeastern, incredible album but his latest is right up there as well. I'm in the process of booking a trip to Nashville to see him at the Ryman this fall.

Back to the original topic.. Revivalists have a new album coming out mid July. Two tracks out already are solid. They play at the Bowery then in Brooklyn July 15/16. Will be at the bowery show for sure and maybe both. They are well worth the 20 bucks to see them live.

Just seeing this now. Been on the Revivalists for a while. New album is solid, 5 or 6 really good tunes, but live is where these guys shine. They just announced a show on 10/30 at Union Transfer. Wouldn't miss it.

Back to the original topic.. Revivalists have a new album coming out mid July. Two tracks out already are solid. They play at the Bowery then in Brooklyn July 15/16. Will be at the bowery show for sure and maybe both. They are well worth the 20 bucks to see them live.

Bgranc, did you end up seeing these shows? Two buddies of mine just saw them at Forecastle Festival in Louisville and raved about their performance. They're playing a small venue in my hometown Fairfield, CT on Nov. 8th. Might make a run up there for that one if I can swing it.

Bgranc, did you end up seeing these shows? Two buddies of mine just saw them at Forecastle Festival in Louisville and raved about their performance. They're playing a small venue in my hometown Fairfield, CT on Nov. 8th. Might make a run up there for that one if I can swing it.
Yeah went to the Bowery show. They are a blast live and it would definitely be a fun show in a venue like that. You would not be disappointed.

Chimpat.. they just added Irving Plaza on October 28th if you want a venue a bit closer. Tix on sale tomorrow.

I was done with MMJ as soon as my first exposure to them was Jimmy Fallon introducing Yim Yames.

outside lands this weekend, solid lineup per usual. easily one of the highlights of my year.

plan on catching the following, with hot chip my most anticipated set.

fri - leon bridges, the revivalists, george ezra, st. vincent, chet faker/porter robinson, d'angleo & the vanguard, mumford.

sat - mac demarco, cold war kids, billy idol/toro y moi, tame impala, classixx, kendrick lamar

sun - st. paul & the broken bones, benjamin booker, hot chip, dan deacon, caribou & sir. elton john.

if any of you have the chance, i advocate hitting Outside Lands as soon as possible. this year was insane. the sunday lineup that i posted above was the single best festival day i've ever attended, and that's not just the boomers & ecstasy talking. dan deacon put on one of the most fun sets i've ever had the pleasure of dancing to, and hot chip absolutely crushed it. great food, perfect festival weather (slightly overcast with periods of bright sunshine, high 60's temps), schmokes galore.

leon bridges disappointed somewhat, as did mumford. kendrick and elton john crushed.

Couch touring on YouTube with phish. Montbleau has a bunch of shows on YouTube from this summer as well.

Grateful dead fare thee well been the best couch tour this year.

Met a really hot girl who for some reason thinks I am a big Grateful Dead fan and talks to me about them every time i see her.

Feel like i'm past the point of saying I don't actually idolize them. Sure, i know Ripple and Box of Rain and whatnot, but I didn't think this would get so deep so quickly. She's asking me incredibly complicated questions about song structure and crap - been successfully changing the subject so far but I think the jig is up. Either I become a real dead head and marry this hottest girl i've ever dated or continue listening to 90% hip hop and die alone

Shows were great. Personally I liked the first night better, that first set was one of my favorite sets of Phish I've seen. Rare cover of Little Feat's Skin It Back, Martian Monster teases weaved throughout the set, mid set David Bowie, big Ghost to close out the first set. 2nd set got funky with Fuego, Rock & Roll, 2001, Sand. Great show. Second night was on fire as well, most people I talked to liked it better than the first night. Stretched out a lot of songs (just a 5 song second set).... Cities, It's Ice, Bathtub Gin, No Man's Land (new song), Twist, Scents & Subtle Sounds all were highlights. If you are streaming the shows, you know how well they are playing right now. best tour in a long time. I think Trey really got locked in for those GD50 shows and it's carried over to Phish in a great way.

Heading to Merriweather for shows this weekend. Excited for what's in store.

nice. we got a 5 song second set out here at shoreline, twist was a major part of that one as well. they're on another level at this point.

been a little while since we had a music check in. my brothers have been catching some solid shows back in dc & philly, alabama shakes, modest mouse, etc. seems like there's good tunes everywhere right now.

that being said, fall/winter in SF is unmatched in terms of live music coming through. catching the following concerts/festivals between sept 30th and nov 7th...

-thievery corp
-hardly strictly bluegrass festival (free fest, diverse lineup. leftover salmon, alo, steve earle & the dukes, boz scaggs, conor oberst & friends, neko case, paul weller etc etc)
-vintage trouble
-rudimental
-my morning jacket (first time seeing them)
-treasure island festival (sts9, fka twigs, azealia banks, run the jewels, deadmaus)
-django django
-hot chip
-greensky bluegrass
-preservation hall jazz band with beats antique (can't wait to see how they pull this off)
-trey anastasio band

gonna be a busy 1.5 months, hope my heart holds up. anyone else got some shows lined up? hitting phish for nye (rumor is MSG) or mexico?

Last edited:
Reactions: SnottieDrippen
Have a couple shows lined up here in NYC that will all be first times:

Gary Clark Jr @ Terminal 5
War on Drugs @ Radio City
MMJ @ Beacon

might also try to make it to one of the Dead & Co shows at MSG.

I'll be at one of the MMJ shows at the Beacon (Sat. night) and trying to get to one more.
Heading to Nashville in a few weeks to see Jason Isbell @ The Ryman. First trip to Nashville, really excited for that one.

NorCal, I'm also hoping to get to the Sunday Dead & Co show. Would like to see it.

Im headed to Rancid tomorrow night at Terminal Five for nostalgic kicks.

Then to Tomorrow World in Chattahoochee Hills, GA next weekend.

Chimpat, never been to ryman but hear it's fantastic. If you're out on Broadway head to the beginning of the strip closest to the water. There's a multi-level bar there called acme seed & feed. Always has local live music that doesn't skew country rock and has a sick roof deck with a great view. Solid place.

Thanks for the advice Eberzzz. I've heard amazing things about the Ryman, thrilled to finally go there. I'll know a couple people working/living down there so that'll be good but my buddy did say we should do dinner at Acme rooftop, is that the same place?

Always wanted to make it to Hardly Strictly Bluegrass usually have pretty awesome lineups.

Eberzz saw Greensky again Saturday night in williamsburg. I've said it a bunch on here but they are one of the best live rock acts around.. sure its bluegrass based but they are a rock band playing bluegrass instruments. Sick lights for a band their size and they keep progressing... there were a few Phish teases that some Phans in the crowd got all amped about. A sick top-gun theme song interlude form Anders on the dobro and an amazing Cassidy with ANdy Falco from the stringdusters on electric guitar.

Got a nice stretch in Oct/November
Band of Heathens at Mercury Lounge - Great Texas country rock band
JRAD and Brookly Bowl
Revivalists at Irving
And I will be hitting the Wednesday/Sat MMJ Beacon shows. Pumped to see them there. In between I will trek out to Poconos to catch Railroad Earth in what is kind of a hometown'esqu venue for them.

Chimpat.. Isbell at the Ryman should be a blast. That album has insane replay-ability for me.. I have listened to it a ton.

Yeah Bri, last two Isbell albums are just fantastic. Pictures of Ryman look like an old church, should really be a unique experience.

I almost made it back into town for Greensky at MHOW, just got back too late. I have been listening to them a bit on the recommendations on this board and they sound great. Sure their live show is awesome.

chimpat, yep, that's the same place. i signed them up when i worked for eventbrite so went there quite a few times over the last year. best place to find local schmokes on the strip as well.

Just a few things on my radar at the moment-

The Word @ the Keswick
The Revivalists @ Union Transfer
My Morning Jacket @ the Tower
Phish @ MSG

Hoping to get into the Chris Cornell show at the Grand Opera House in Wilmington, tickets sold out for that in about 6 seconds.

Just a few things on my radar at the moment-

Hoping to get into the Chris Cornell show at the Grand Opera House in Wilmington, tickets sold out for that in about 6 seconds.

kindbits, I've seen Cornell a few times and the guy has one of the best live voices of anyone I've seen in concert. His shows are really solid, mixes up his solo stuff with some Soundgarden material as well.

Reactions: kindbits
kindbits, I've seen Cornell a few times and the guy has one of the best live voices of anyone I've seen in concert. His shows are really solid, mixes up his solo stuff with some Soundgarden material as well.
Second that. Went to Soundgarden/NIN last summer at PNC in Holmdel. Chris Cornell was the only one bringing it from soundgarden. Rest of the band seemed pretty flat Its amazing how well he can still belt out those vocals at 50 years old. Really want to see one of his acoustic shows at the Beacon next month, have heard good things

Reactions: kindbits
That's one of the places I've seen him, the Beacon. Well worth your money, great show.

been a little while since we had a music check in. my brothers have been catching some solid shows back in dc & philly, alabama shakes, modest mouse, etc. seems like there's good tunes everywhere right now.

that being said, fall/winter in SF is unmatched in terms of live music coming through. catching the following concerts/festivals between sept 30th and nov 7th...

-thievery corp
-hardly strictly bluegrass festival (free fest, diverse lineup. leftover salmon, alo, steve earle & the dukes, boz scaggs, conor oberst & friends, neko case, paul weller etc etc)
-vintage trouble
-rudimental
-my morning jacket (first time seeing them)
-treasure island festival (sts9, fka twigs, azealia banks, run the jewels, deadmaus)
-django django
-hot chip
-greensky bluegrass
-preservation hall jazz band with beats antique (can't wait to see how they pull this off)
-trey anastasio band

gonna be a busy 1.5 months, hope my heart holds up. anyone else got some shows lined up? hitting phish for nye (rumor is MSG) or mexico?
Thievery Corporation puts on a terrific show. Saw them at the Electric Factory five or six years ago.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT