ADVERTISEMENT

Attendannce

Four MAC teams were Division II back in the day: Central & Eastern Michigan, Ball State and Northern Ilinois. From 1968-72 the MAC champ played the Southern Conference Champ in the Tangerine Bowl in Orlando. Toledo was the MAC powerhouse back then, winning 3 straight Tangerine Bowls from '69 to '71. Tony Eason was the Toledo QB, becoming the 1st black to QB an other than HBCU team. Toledo ran up 20-something consecutive wins in the Eason era. Sadly, Eason was relegated to the CFL after graduation, in a vestige of racism/segregation.

Curiously, the Southern Conf. but not the MAC, was relegated to 1AA in 1978. In 1981 the NCAA set the MAC champ against the Pacific Coast Athletic Conference (later renamed the Big West) champ in an annual bowl game in Fresno, the California Raisin Bowl. The bowl died from lack of interest in 1991.

There is more daylight between the BCS and the MAC than there is between the MAC and CAA. VU is on record as saying a move to MAC-level would not be in the interest of the program or University, as UMASS & Temple have found out. Someday, perhaps sooner rather than later, the MAC will be relegated to FCS. That's my opinion, based in part on GECat74's accurate observation.

Originally posted by Biogelusa:
As our students get more "wired" and our alums get more removed, these type of events become more and more important.
I wish school administrators would see it through the lens of keeping the students satisfied than trying to chase after alumni.

quoting comment: Nobody likes division 2 football except for the friends of the coaches and players' families. It makes no sense that we are cheating soccer and lacross in favor of division 2 football.

Sorry, but I completely disagree with this comment. As a long time Villanova fan, Thanks to Villanova football I have been treated to some awesome Villanova football memories. From watching Brian Westbrook just dominate the FCS, to the 4 year run when Matt Sczur and Chris Whitney were leading Nova to the eventual D1 (not D2) National Title to now who in my opinon is the real Johnny Football (John Robertson). I am NOT a friend of the coach nor one of the players' family.

One of the best things I like about the FCS is the playoff format, I think it is a great setup and still can't understand for the life of me why FBS football does not follow a similar format. (well I am sure it's money but that's another topic for another day)

Looking forward to the Delaware game on saturday and hope for a good matchup in the playoffs.
This post was edited on 11/21 7:56 PM by JimB

Interesting fact.......on ESPN Game Day this morning, they mentioned that Lehigh is playing Laffayette today at Yankee Stadium. Suprisingly, there has been an advance ticket sale of 48,000.......for FCS football....

Originally posted by JimB:

quoting comment: Nobody likes division 2 football except for the friends of the coaches and players' families. It makes no sense that we are cheating soccer and lacross in favor of division 2 football.

Sorry, but I completely disagree with this comment. As a long time Villanova fan, Thanks to Villanova football I have been treated to some awesome Villanova football memories. From watching Brian Westbrook just dominate the FCS, to the 4 year run when Matt Sczur and Chris Whitney were leading Nova to the eventual D1 (not D2) National Title to now who in my opinon is the real Johnny Football (John Robertson). I am NOT a friend of the coach nor one of the players' family.

One of the best things I like about the FCS is the playoff format, I think it is a great setup and still can't understand for the life of me why FBS football does not follow a similar format. (well I am sure it's money but that's another topic for another day)

Looking forward to the Delaware game on saturday and hope for a good matchup in the playoffs.
This post was edited on 11/21 7:56 PM by JimB
Great Post JimB !!!

Jim B great post.
Hope you enjoyed yesterday's exciting win. All VU vs DU games seem to be very exciting but these last too were super exciting.

Always great to beat the Delaware Chicken Hens, My favorite games of the Delaware series is easily when Pat Devlin transferred to Delaware out of Penn State and Nova handed it too them both years he played. (Now if only I could get a copy of those games!)
Looking forward to the playoffs and I like the draw.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT