ADVERTISEMENT

Attendannce

rb nova

VUSports.com All-American
Gold Member
May 17, 2003
Are there 1.000 people at the game tonight? Looks so bad on TV. Is this the right conference for Nova?
Posted from Rivals Mobile

If we had a top funded soccer program the stadium could be packed.

For the amount of money we blow on football we could fully fund soccer and lacross, become national powers in both (to go along with our elite basketball program).

Students and alumni don't care about division 2 football games against towson delaware or wherever the heck they are located. Students and alumni want to attend games where villaniva is putting forth a top notch effort, not a division 2 effort.

We could have two top notch athletic program,s (soccer and lacrosse) for the price of our lousy football program. And soccer and lacrosse are a better fit for villanova's demographics than college NASCAR, I mean football.

.... Cue all the football tough guys who are going to call me a jerk for wanting what is best for villanova athletics.

If you hate the football program so much as well as your alma mater, why do you even tune in??

Originally posted by prospect:
If you hate the football program so much as well as your alma mater, why do you even tune in??
Right on cue....

I don't hate villanova. I care about the best interests of villaniva.
I don't hate the villanova Football team. I root for the kids to do their best and represent the school.
I do believe that the current operational philosophy of villaniva football is a major detriment towards the best interests of the school. We would be far better served by investing that money into soccer and lacross or for an upgrade of the pavilion. Nobody likes division 2 football except for the friends of the coaches and players' families. It makes no sense that we are cheating soccer and lacross in favor of division 2 football.

About 4,0000 to 5,000 people there on a 25 degree night. It's always great that the usual suspects complain about attendance and would never think of attending a game,

The loyalist that showed up for the game tonight deserve medals. Sitting at night for 3 plus hours in 32 degree weather, a hardy bunch, be it 3,000 or whatever. Good for them! They could have stayed home and watched on TV.

It actually wasn't too bad. Fortunately, there was no wind. I've sat through a lot worse.

I got a chuckle out of that "right conference for us" thing. Yeah, if only this was the mighty Georgetown, then it would be SRO!

Wine and cheese crowds don't do night games. They sure as heck don't come out in this weather.

It was a decent crowd ,for the brutal weather, and most left at halftime when we were 42-10. I stayed the whole time & initially it we had a nice crowd but as each quarter ended more and more people left. It was freezing and not a close game.

Football is so backwards. Night games in November in 28 degree weather and mid day games in early Sept when it's 85 degrees and hot as hell. I love it
laugh.r191677.gif

Itwas a nice night for football. Without wind, it was very bearable. Next year, the admininstration has to heavily promote Robertson tostudents and Alums. Hell, even start now for the playoffs. There are tons of people missing out on a great talent. It's a shame.

ACC soccer televised on espn today. Better exposure than anything we gain from our division 2 football program.

Georgetown currently ranked #5, Creighton at #9, and Providence at #13. Must be nice to not have a football program draining all the athletic department resources so they can fully fund soccer.

College soccer is a fertile athletic ground for colleges. The ACC knows this (6 top 25 teams, 9 in the top 50). Some of our Big East counterparts realize this. When are we going wake up.

We are never going to have a nationally competitive football program. Might as well invest in something that brings the school some positive exposure at a nationally competitive level.

Top 20 college soccer action being broadcast nationally at 5 pm today on fox sports 2. #13 Providence versus #18 Xavier.

I take that as a compliment; my wife and I were there and had a great time at the game. thanks.

qwe005 - dont you get bored saying the same thing over and over and over and over........

Drop football, even at the FCS level, and we join the ranks of St. Joes, LaSalle, Drexel, and Nova would still not draw folks to soccer or lax games.........

Ball doesn't really believe that a mationally ranked soccer team would bring exposure. He is just saying that to get a rise out of people...just like he says VU's program is division 2. He knows we're not D2. West Chester is D2. Villanova football is D1.

Soccer is booming in this country right now. Why not try to get out in front of the revolution?

10-20-30-40 years ago.....people were saying soccer was going to be the big sport in the US in the future..........and you know what.......they are still saying it..........it is popular for kids whose parents don't want them to get hurt playing football.

We have soccer, but we don't fully fund it. If we fully funded soccer it would be a nationally elite program.

I saw UCONN 's soccer game was on TV the other night , as I was Channel surfing. The stands were nearly empty.

The problem is...VU Administration has an "unholy" alliance with Radnor, whereby we agree to "mute" football enthusiasm by purposely scheduling two night games in November! What kind of attendance do you expect? Do you see our other CAA rivals doing that? NOOOOOOOO!

If we fully funded wrestling they would make a movie about it. Oh wait, they did.

Originally posted by qwe005:
We have soccer, but we don't fully fund it. If we fully funded soccer it would be a nationally elite program.
There are no nationally elite college soccer programs..........have no idea who is the national champion, or who played in the final four, or if they even have a final four..........not really a fan of the World Cup.....just to watch all the players fall down and act like they were shot.

Is the attendance discussion limited to football? Maybe we should look at other sports. Tonight at tap off the Pav was only half full. Crowd grew to about 75% as game went on.

Boston College soccer is a thousand times a better asset to their athletic program than Villanova Football is to our's. And it is a fraction of the cost.

Why are we throwing good money after a bad product when we have Sooooo much potential in such a proven area? Soccer is the #1 sport in the world, it has made amazing strides in the north western hemisphere over the past decade, and operates at a fraction of the cost of our division 2 football program. Given our school's demographics, we could definitely become a national power in soccer. Instead we throw big dollars after a division 2 program that nobody but the friends and family of the program care about.

Now you can insult me. You can insult soccer. You can make tough guy jokes and degrade women and homosexuals as is par for the course on this board when I raise this issue.

However, I have one simple question:
WHY?

Why are we destroying the growth of our athletic program by investing tens of millions of dollars in a dead end program that has zero casual fan support and is enjoyed by only friends and family of the program?

Cue the fb tough guys with their homophobic responses, but it is a legitimate issue.

Originally posted by UncleEd:
Is the attendance discussion limited to football? Maybe we should look at other sports. Tonight at tap off the Pav was only half full. Crowd grew to about 75% as game went on.
Is this for real or a sarcastic post? Sometimes the sarcasm gets lost in the type.

Villanova played some no-name towson'esque school tonight. Thin crowd at the tap, but was pretty full for most of the game. (you can say 75%, but it looked more like 93.8% on tv, but why split hairs). Oh yeah, by the way, the game was actually televised. And not some espn3 interweb app streaming televised, but the flagship sports outlet for the gr8est television network in the world over the past quarter century. And not only was it televised, but it was televised with some of the most phenomenal pixel resolution known to human. Oh yeah, this was our weakest opponent of the season, and Nova won by a half century, and the game was a snoozer, but THE PROGRAM MADE MONEY TONIGHT.

That's the killer with the football tough guys. They love to bash the hoops team at every chance. Box+1, uncleeds, and dcfranklins love to rip the hoops team whenever they play an ooc cupcake. But the hoops team, even against the ooc cupcakes, play in front of a national television audience, and turn a profit. And then when the football team plays towson, va on interweb stream and loses three quarters of a million dollars for the effort, they compare that to the lowest entertainment point of the basketball season and try to say I told you so.

So my question:
Are the football tough guys smoking crack, or do they really believe that villanova football is anything more than a friends and family program at an exorbitant price?

Thank you for the honest discussion.

Sarcasm? Check out Villanova's Basketball page on Facebook. You can count the 100 or so people in the endzone at the tip. But of course, you are half a continent away and know everything . . . . . .

This post was edited on 11/18 7:11 AM by VU82

QWE/Ball or whoever the hell you are, you have made your point regarding your feelings about the football program on numerous ocassions. Enough of your crap. Every time you open your mouth and criticize the team, you disrespect Andy Talley & what he has accomplished over the past 30 years without the support of the adminstration, his coaching staff and all of the players that have busted their butts for Nova since the return of the program since '85. Do us all a favor and get lost. Your rants are getting old & tiresome.

We stated LICAT! Thanks.

Also guess qball hasn't taken the time to read about the lives saved by the bone marrow program. Or maybe that's just not important to him.

Keep pressing the ignore button!

Not taking sides here.......but, I was there last nite and would estimate the crowd at around 75% after late arrivals and early departures (which included me)........financially, the game was a sellout.

I am new to this forum as my son will be going to Villanova next year. I have been to several games this year and found them to be very special. As our students get more "wired" and our alums get more removed, these type of events become more and more important. Posts from people like QWE005 are so incredibly offensive to me. These kids train year round, at 5 am, in the rain, in the snow, with pain and under incredible stress. If you QWE005 don't want to support this "community" then get OUT.

Biogelusa: Welcome to the board. Glad you are enjoying the games. Virtually everyone on this board is having a ball (pun intended) watching a very good team and a very special player this year. Regarding QWE005, just one man's opinion, use the Ignore button. You will miss absolutely nothing of any value. The only problem, if you follow my advice, is you'll have a hell of a time keeping up with all his aliases. He finds it necessary, to post under more names than John Robertson has completed passes in a typical game.

Biogelusa - a second welcome to the board!

I have a daughter that graduated from Villanova this Spring. She had a GREAT experience there. She even flew up from Dallas this last weekend to see friends and go to the game.

I have been on this board since the beginning and have only used the ignore button for one person in all these years. It works very well!

Congratulations on your son's decision!

For those complaining about our attendance, have you checked out the number of people in the stands each week for these mid-week, MAC games ? There might be 600 people at the game in Athens, OH tonight. It's cold but there's no snow. That entire league has sold their souls to ESPN, moving most of their games to Tuesday and Wednesday nights.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT