ADVERTISEMENT

Baltimore riots

the most racist places in the country, according to google search (years worth of data of people searching for the "n" word via google).

imrs.php

the most racist places in the country, according to google search (years worth of data of people searching for the "n" word via google).

imrs.php

Considering African Americans use the N word more than white folk, that data is meaningless. Just tells me there are plenty of black people in those areas.

Considering African Americans use the N word more than white folk, that data is meaningless. Just tells me there are plenty of black people in those areas.
Also, in the South, the "N" word is often used to describe whites so the Google info is useless.

While it may not be the most definitive measure, I'd say it's certainly more than "meaningless."

"Google data, evidence suggests, are unlikely to suffer from major social censoring," Stephens-Davidowitz wrote in a previous paper. "Google searchers are online and likely alone, both of which make it easier to express socially taboo thoughts. Individuals, indeed, note that they are unusually forthcoming with Google." He also notes that the Google measure correlates strongly with other standard measures social science researchers have used to study racist attitudes.

This is important, because racism is a notoriously tricky thing to measure. Traditional survey methods don't really work -- if you flat-out ask someone if they're racist, they will simply tell you no. That's partly because most racism in society todayoperates at the subconscious level, or getsvented anonymously online.

For the PLOS ONE paper, researchers looked at searches containing the N-word. People search frequently for it, roughly as often as searches for "migraine(s)," "economist," "sweater," "Daily Show," and "Lakers." (The authors attempted to control for variants of the N-word not necessarily intended as pejoratives, excluding the "a" version of the word that analysis revealed was often used "in different contexts compared to searches of the term ending in '-er'.")

[An entrenched racial slur is now more prevalent than ever]

It's also important to note that not all people searching for the N-word are motivated by racism, and that not all racists search for that word, either. But aggregated over several years and several million searches, the data give a pretty good approximation of where a particular type of racist attitude is the strongest.

Curious why no one says animals or thugs or even cares when white people riot after a sports team wins? Or because their coach was fired for conspiring to conceal child molestation? Terrible causes to riot over. At least police brutality is a worthwhile cause.

Because it's a bunch of college kids getting drunk, celebrating and burning couches on campus. These are jobless people "protesting" things and burning CVS' while hising behind the cause.

The videos of the mob attacking fans outside Camden Yards the other day...holy hell. Trash cans being thrown at any white people unfortunate enough to be outside, in one clip there is someone in a wheelchair in the middle of the melee. Rioters throwing bottles at people on the ground who were knocked out. Absolutely the right call to cancel those games.

Curious why no one says animals or thugs or even cares when white people riot after a sports team wins? Or because their coach was fired for conspiring to conceal child molestation? Terrible causes to riot over. At least police brutality is a worthwhile cause.

People do. Just google San Francisco Giants riot and you see plenty of that, and rightfully so.

If you willfully destroy public property, whether you are reveling in a sports team's victory or protesting the *racist* police, you are a criminal and deserve to be treated as such.

It's going to be entertaining on Friday when an indictment doesn't immediately come and people start rioting again. There are few things more dangerous to our republic than mobs trying to influence the wheels of justice. It's especially ironic when black people are leading the mobs, because 100 years ago, similar mobs used to hang black people from trees.

If you willfully destroy public property, whether you are reveling in a sports team's victory or protesting the *racist* police, you are a criminal and deserve to be treated as such.

It's going to be entertaining on Friday when an indictment doesn't immediately come and people start rioting again. There are few things more dangerous to our republic than mobs trying to influence the wheels of justice. It's especially ironic when black people are leading the mobs, because 100 years ago, similar mobs used to hang black people from trees.
Or as recently as the 40s... but don't worry none of that has any impact on what we see today. The Kerner report which came out after the dynamic changed and race riots meant something different summed it up well when saying "White society is deeply implicated in the ghetto. White institutions created it, white institutions maintain it, and white society condones it."

But that's a past we run from... the patronizing solutions of "look in the mirror" or focus on family" are proffered by people who see white dominance as part of some distant, inert past that we/they should simply move on from. We can't believe a race of people that we systemically held down for most of our history can see themselves as victims. As if it was all better the minute we finally treated them as citizens on equal footing. They should just pull themselves up by their proverbial bootstraps and get over "it," an "it" we can't even own up to. Thats not excuse making but until we take on that dark past, how can we expect to solve such complex problems?

The Kerner Commission started with a conclusion and worked around it. They totally ignored the fact that in Birmingham and Jackson, the largest cities in the states with the worst conditions for blacks in America at the time did not riot.

Also, that "dark past" argument, while holding some merit is frequently deployed as a crutch on which to defer personal responsibility.

The Kerner Commission started with a conclusion and worked around it. They totally ignored the fact that in Birmingham and Jackson, the largest cities in the states with the worst conditions for blacks in America at the time did not riot.

Also, that "dark past" argument, while holding some merit is frequently deployed as a crutch on which to defer personal responsibility.

Birmingham did not riot?

There is a difference between solving the problems within the African-American community and trying to explain or justify criminals who choose to riot and destroy their community. Don't confuse the two. When these criminals are not rioting they are destroying their community in other ways.

I can't believe these people we treated as "less than" citizens for MOST of our nation's history can't just stop being poor. Fking idiots.
"Irish (or Italian, Polish, Catholic, et al) need not apply"... Chinese working almost as slave labor... That was recent history. I'm sorry, but will the excuses ever stop? Some in the black & Hispanic communities are starting to see the liberal agenda has done nothing except keep them poor & uneducated. When 80%+ of black children are born to single mothers; these issues won't change....

% of Benchwarmers whose cell phones include the telephone number of at least one African-American? Less than 5%, right?

(phone numbers of contractors do not count)

% of Benchwarmers whose cell phones include the telephone number of at least one African-American? Less than 5%, right?

Some of my best friends are African-American.

"Irish (or Italian, Polish, Catholic, et al) need not apply"... Chinese working almost as slave labor... That was recent history. I'm sorry, but will the excuses ever stop? Some in the black & Hispanic communities are starting to see the liberal agenda has done nothing except keep them poor & uneducated. When 80%+ of black children are born to single mothers; these issues won't change....
The European immigrant and black experience in America are definitely the same. You missed the chance to personalize it by talking about your grandfather or great grand father.

Take a look at something like the GI Bill which our middle class was built on and see how that worked differently for blacks... but you are right, certainly that has no impact on todays problems, its just an excuse.

Strick, get your stereotypes correct, contractors are Italian or Hispanic, not black.

The European immigrant and black experience in America are definitely the same. You missed the chance to personalize it by talking about your grandfather or great grand father.

Take a look at something like the GI Bill which our middle class was built on and see how that worked differently for blacks... but you are right, certainly that has no impact on todays problems, its just an excuse.
The vast majority of slaves in North America & the Caribbean in the 17th century were Irish. So the experience was quite similar; in many ways worse if you're interested enough to research. It's a pretty simple conclusion that can be drawn; many ethnic groups in this country have overcome horrendous racism to become educated, prosperous and productive. Rather than take a racist approach about the ability of blacks to succeed in this country - and a contest on comparing the hardships they and other non WASPs have faced - it's time to have an honest dialogue about what is working (charter schools for example) for that community and what's not.

My Irish grandmother used to tell some interesting stories on how she was sprayed with a fire hose, unable to drink from certain water fountains, couldn't ride in the front of the bus, and witnessing a relative hung from a tree in the early 60's.

Can you explain this? Not a loaded question, but am not familiar with the line of reasoning...
MWG - going back to JFK & LBJ, there were legitimate & necessary programs to help the poor, uneducated, discriminated, etc. These started off in many cases as "safety net" programs. Through the years, liberal Democrats have expanded these programs like selling crack on the street corner to buy votes & support - usually in poor urban areas. They are consummate wh0res like the Sharptons of the world, and while most politicians are - their policies that discourage empowerment, family values, self sufficiency, education, civic/national pride etc. have hurt the urban poor most disproportionately.

edit: to bring it full circle; to keep their jobs within city councils, city/state/national govt, departments of education, etc. they never advocate for massive change that is so obviously needed in poor cities. They preach the same old BS that hasn't been working for 50 years... If we could only get more money, nicer cops, new schools, new books ....

Last edited:

I did a quick count on my cell for you RStrick - 51 African Americans in my contacts. I noticed a solid number of Hispanics, Asians, and Indians as well as some Gays and Lesbians.

My Irish grandmother used to tell some interesting stories on how she was sprayed with a fire hose, unable to drink from certain water fountains, couldn't ride in the front of the bus, and witnessing a relative hung from a tree in the early 60's.
Why didn't she drink from the fire hose? That would solve the water fountain problem.

I am in the double digits in terms of the number of black people on my cell phone. Never really thought about it because I don't care what race people are. People are individuals but I thought everyone knew that.

The stories of Irish discrimination are not unfounded. In some ways, being Irish was worse than being a slave. A slave was a valuable commodity and they were generally cared for so that they could not only be well, but fertile. As for the Irish and other immigrant workers, they were totally expendable. There's a mass grave of Irish railroad workers out near Malvern.

Now obviously, once you got past a certain point, the discrimination against Irish virtually disappeared, but it wasn't an easy go of it.

By now we've all seen the video of the black single mother of SIX kids beating the hell out of her son for rioting. She said she has no idea of where the father(s) is now. You want to talk about what happened 200+ years ago as an excuse for today? Wouldn't it be a whole lot better to talk about adults taking responsibility in the black community and creating a path for the fatherless children to get a good education followed by a good job? Then, they can work their way out of the never ending circle of poverty and crime instead of your leaders treating you as wards of the state and ensuring you have a bad life.

Ahh....The ever-popular, "you want to talk about what happened 200 years ago as an excuse...." narrative. It's the most simple-minded, ignorant thing a white person can utter in discussions such as these.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT