ADVERTISEMENT

Big Mid-East/West conference?

tpenter

Diaper Dandy
Nov 27, 2005
Needatobaby -

My offhand reference to the above was not so much a comment on the potential quality of new conference opponents as to the ability of a small school like Nova to financially commit to such an arrangement and the abandonment of long-time rivalies and the sensability of geographical conferences.

Of course the big football and basketball powers can afford to, but can Nova really afford to run a sports program that would require the type of travel required to visit current Big Twelve teams (and Texas Tech who has already joined the Big East). Remember that we are just not talking about a few visits by the football and basketball teams. You have 2 soccer teams, field hockey, volleyball, tennis, baseball, softball, golf, cross country, track and on and on. The idocy of losing the regional rivalries and dropping any geographical considerations in college sports in the past decade is beyond me.

Not much more that I can or want to add to this. The almighty dollar rules all and the proponents will point to the potential income from league television contracts to offset the costs, but even if it does I don't have to like the end result.

Agreed. I missed your point. I didn't know about all the stuff till I read that Pitt and Syracuse are going to the ACC. Big 8 merging with Big East!!!! Yikes! I can't see Iowa State fans coming to Philly for an away B-ball game. I'm talking about the men, forget about the women!!!! Writing should have been on the wall when BC left. I have looked at the womwens non-conference schedule. Potential heartbreaking losses. Sorry about that, but I will try and get to see you at a couple this year. Thanks

view;_ylt=A0PDoS_UyMFOSEMAHliJzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTBlMTQ4cGxyBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1n

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT