ADVERTISEMENT

Buddy Ryan Remembered

the question was why. so "yes" isn't a good answer, wertzie

with the benefit of hindsight, we know neither won shit, and both ultimately produced disappointment. ryan was more fun and the eagles were cooler and tougher then, with better uniforms

the question was why. so "yes" isn't a good answer, wertzie

with the benefit of hindsight, we know neither won shit, and both ultimately produced disappointment. ryan was more fun and the eagles were cooler and tougher then, with better uniforms
Well yeah, Reid was a fat boring slug and Ryan was a complete moron who said anything he wanted so he was more entertaining.

Why was or is Reid a better head coach? Because he got more out of his complete team. Was the Pats cheating and his QB literally choking from winning a SB. Reid hired very good defensive coaches since he is an offensive guy while Ryan hired morons to coach offense since he is a defensive coach. This makes Reid by far the better head coach.

Reactions: NickleDimer
Well yeah, Reid was a fat boring slug and Ryan was a complete moron who said anything he wanted so he was more entertaining.

Why was or is Reid a better head coach? Because he got more out of his complete team. Was the Pats cheating and his QB literally choking from winning a SB. Reid hired very good defensive coaches since he is an offensive guy while Ryan hired morons to coach offense since he is a defensive coach. This makes Reid by far the better head coach.
Plus, Buddy hired this complete football moron, so I rest my case.

th

Buddy wasn't overrated as a defensive coach/mind. Not at all. However, in terms of how much he is revered in this city that is overrated. Wasn't here long enough and didn't win when it counted. Blatantly overlooked one side of the football. Yea, he did some crazy shit and a lot of fans loved that part of it. That defense was really good and he's associated with that. Entertainment level was A+ worthy, but as a Head Coach he probably falls on a B- or B level.

He was a great consigliere, but not a good don. Correct Burrs?

Consiglieres are usually smart, open-minded, and versatile. Buddy was pig-headed. He had some strengths. Like Sonny Corleone did, but like Sonny his time on the perch wax short-lived because of his pigheadedness.

fog bowl shouldn't even count

reid should be revered for a decade of not being good enough, but ryan should be ridiculed for three years of somewhat arguable underachievement? blow me

ryan didn't care about the offensive line and the quarterback wasn't coached, but reid insisted practice squad-level talents were good enough at wideout until the defense was no longer good enough. and his clock management at the end of halves was consistently

ryan's sons are fat and obnoxious nfl coaches. reid's son was a junkie who ODed before daddy found a f--k to give. ryan wins

Reactions: tomjackleman
Personally, I don't think Ryan should be ridiculed. I just think there is a segment of the fanbase that are over-the-top in their admiration of him. Reid certainly had shortcomings, too. Many of them are why people don't laud him as much. Reid didn't send guys after the punter, fake kneel downs, refuse to shake the other coach's hand after Gabe's, etc. It's silly stuff like that why some of the goofs in this city adore the guy.

Reactions: ChuckSullivan97
They adore him because he behaved like a WWF heel. White trash love that stuff.

He was not a better coach than Andy Reid. I don't think anyone adores Andy Reid.

Reactions: jvm3 and Dave99
Buddy wasn't overrated as a defensive coach/mind. Not at all. However, in terms of how much he is revered in this city that is overrated. Wasn't here long enough and didn't win when it counted. Blatantly overlooked one side of the football. Yea, he did some crazy shit and a lot of fans loved that part of it. That defense was really good and he's associated with that. Entertainment level was A+ worthy, but as a Head Coach he probably falls on a B- or B level.

7 years as a HC in the NFL with a .500 record and he and I have the same amount of playoff wins. And he gets a B? Only in the CoP.

He gets an F. Because he failed at coaching football as head coach.

7 years as a HC in the NFL with a .500 record and he and I have the same amount of playoff wins. And he gets a B? Only in the CoP.

he doesn't get an F. he took a putrid team and turned them into a perennial playoff team. I'd give him a C as head coach.

Reactions: ChuckSullivan97
They adore him because he behaved like a WWF heel. White trash love that stuff.

He was not a better coach than Andy Reid. I don't think anyone adores Andy Reid.

Mostly agree with this.....

The white trash part is overstated. Most Eagles' fans aren't white trash. Tho, a small segment certainly exists.

I disagree. And I said B- to B range. Also, I was strictly referring to HC with Eagles. He was 43-32 in the RS (excluding replacement players) as Eagles' HC. He was a great defensive coach. A lot of guys don't win playoff games. It doesn't mean they are complete failures. I was never a big Buddy guy, tho.

he doesn't get an F. he took a putrid team and turned them into a perennial playoff team. I'd give him a C as head coach.

He made the playoffs 3 years in a row (that's hardly perennial) then left as HC of a 4-12 team, 3 wins worse than what he inherited. Zero playoff wins. F.

Reactions: jvm3
He made the playoffs 3 years in a row (that's hardly perennial) then left as HC of a 4-12 team, 3 wins worse than what he inherited. Zero playoff wins. F.

what he did elsewhere is completely irrelevant to what i'm personally arguing, which is that i found the ryan era more entertaining and enjoyable than reid's decade coaching the eagles

ryan inherited a terrible team, made them a good one, but didn't win a playoff game in three tries. i don't see that as prolonged futility

Personally, I don't think Ryan should be ridiculed. I just think there is a segment of the fanbase that are over-the-top in their admiration of him. Reid certainly had shortcomings, too. Many of them are why people don't laud him as much. Reid didn't send guys after the punter, fake kneel downs, refuse to shake the other coach's hand after Gabe's, etc. It's silly stuff like that why some of the goofs in this city adore the guy.

landry was like the robert ryan character in dirty dozen

they had guys like dorsett cross the picket line and run up the score on the eagles

ryan remembered, and threw landry's "class" right in his sanctimonious face

everything in sports is silly. that shit was great

landry was like the robert ryan character in dirty dozen

they had guys like dorsett cross the picket line and run up the score on the eagles

ryan remembered, and threw landry's "class" right in his sanctimonious face

everything in sports is silly. that shit was great

I don't disagree....

Burrs, you seriously don't know anyone who you would consider white trash? I'm not saying they have to be your best friend, but you don't know ANYONE?

Definition of white trash?

I guess I might know of some if you put every acquaintance of mine in front of me, but it would be a small %.

what he did elsewhere is completely irrelevant to what i'm personally arguing, which is that i found the ryan era more entertaining and enjoyable than reid's decade coaching the eagles

ryan inherited a terrible team, made them a good one, but didn't win a playoff game in three tries. i don't see that as prolonged futility

I think probably not prolonged because it became fairly obvious he wasn't going to be a successful HC. They cut bait. Entertainment values are subjective, and I'm not that interested in it when looking back at a guy's HC record. If you have an 11 win team in the NFL, you should find a way to play into January. I was in the area for a lot of the Ryan era - Eagles fan loved him - mostly because he played to their blue collar/faintly muted racist roots when he would call out high priced players to the media. Even Kotite won a playoff game.

I think probably not prolonged because it became fairly obvious he wasn't going to be a successful HC. They cut bait. Entertainment values are subjective, and I'm not that interested in it when looking back at a guy's HC record. If you have an 11 win team in the NFL, you should find a way to play into January. I was in the area for a lot of the Ryan era - Eagles fan loved him - mostly because he played to their blue collar/faintly muted racist roots when he would call out high priced players to the media. Even Kotite won a playoff game.

Disagree w this. His black players loved him.

Mostly agree with this.....

The white trash part is overstated. Most Eagles' fans aren't white trash. Tho, a small segment certainly exists.
Calling bs, most eagles fans are the definition of white trash.

Don't you have family members that are Eagles' fans?
Yes, many are white trash. I love those people. A home Eagles game consists of 62.7% white trash. If you deny this....you probably attend home Eagles games. And yes, I get to one per year. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

Yes, many are white trash. I love those people. A home Eagles game consists of 62.7% white trash. If you deny this....you probably attend home Eagles games. And yes, I get to one per year. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

Our definitions of white trash are different., I guess. I'm not really all that judgemental. Also, I didn't attend Nova where it's commonplace to tell each other how great you are and how much better you are than everyone else.

I typically attend one game a year, sometimes two.

Burrs, 35% of any NFL crow has a criminal record. Philly is simply higher.

Burrs, 35% of any NFL crow has a criminal record. Philly is simply higher.

No doubt the element exists. I just believe it is exaggerated, which of course, is normal for these parts.

No, I've been to enough games to verify. Philly sports has earned it's moniker. As someone who's been subjected to a lot more fanbases/experiences, it doesn't happen everywhere.

To be fair, I don't think any metropolitan area is judged on its sports fans as much as Philadelphia. For instance, Boston is billed as a bohemian bastion revolving around higher education. But have you ever been to Fenway Park on a Saturday?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT