ADVERTISEMENT

Captain America Civil War

Can't get into the superhero genre at all. When the first Spiderman movie came out with Tobey McGuire I walked out of the theatre about 45 mins into it. So boring and stupid I couldn't stand it.

One time my wife rented the first Iron Man movie and I fell asleep within 15 mins.

I think my intellect prevents me from stooping down to that level of storytelling.

Reactions: BigEastBasketball
Can't get into the superhero genre at all. When the first Spiderman movie came out with Tobey McGuire I walked out of the theatre about 45 mins into it. So boring and stupid I couldn't stand it.

One time my wife rented the first Iron Man movie and I fell asleep within 15 mins.

I think my intellect prevents me from stooping down to that level of storytelling.

Spiderman / Iron Man are very different films than Batman Begins for instance. Completely different feel.

Any movie not based on reality is dumb to me. I'm with Shoop here, but you also can't argue with the money these superhero movies make.

Same here. I made it all the way through Spiderman, which sucked and ended in some stupid cliffhanger to promote the sequel. Fell asleep during both Transformers and Iron Man and never bothered to circle back and finish.

I did like the first XMen and most of the Batman movies (except the one with Arnold and Uma Thurman).

According to Merc:

Shawshank Redemption = dumb
Pulp Fiction = dumb
Howard the Duck = dumb
Silence of the Lambs = dumb
Raiders of the Lost Ark = dumb
Dirty Harry = dumb
Casablanca = dumb

Last edited:
Pulp Fiction = dumb
Howard the Duck = dumb
Dirty Harry = dumb
Casablanca = dumb
Let's not get carried away here. We're not talking enduring classics that provide timeless entertainment or universal truths about the human spirit. We're talking about a CGI-fest featuring Robert Downey Jr. with a soul patch playing a billionaire in a flying robot suit.

Let's not get carried away here. We're not talking enduring classics that provide timeless entertainment or universal truths about the human spirit. We're talking about a CGI-fest featuring Robert Downey Jr. with a soul patch playing a billionaire in a flying robot suit.
Responding to Merc's comment with my list.

I don't like the superhero craze either. Just took my oldest and some of his buddies to see Captain America. I was out after 30 minutes.

According to Merc:

Pulp Fiction = dumb
Howard the Duck = dumb
Dirty Harry = dumb
Casablanca = dumb

Is Howard the Duck really in that list? Had to be "fixed"...

According to Merc:

Pulp Fiction = dumb
Howard the Duck = dumb
Dirty Harry = dumb
Casablanca = dumb
Shawahank Redemption is based in reality. In real life people are falsely accused and convicted of crimes, and then go to jail and talk to people about life. I haven't seen most of those other movies but I assume they don't involve people flying around and trying to save a fake planet from bad guys.

Is Howard the Duck really in that list? Had to be "fixed"...
Shawahank Redemption is based in reality. In real life people are falsely accused and convicted of crimes, and then go to jail and talk to people about life. I haven't seen most of those other movies but I assume they don't involve people flying around and trying to save a fake planet from bad guys.

Howard the Duck is.

I've never considered the Nolan Batman films superhero movies, maybe it's just me.
I think that's just you.

Those were the best, the rest are just semi-enjoybale two hour adventure movies.

I'd say those worth seeing:

Iron Man
Captain America Winter Soldier
Captain America
Avengers

I won't go to the theaters for any of the Marvel movies, but I'll watch them on a plane or when they come out to rent on iTunes.

Didnt think this one was terrible. Much better than the first two Avengers movie's in my opinion. It .wasnt just about blowing up random cities which is a nice change of pace. Wasnt a fan of how the Black Panther just appeared with no story line. They finally have cast a decent Spiderman, instead of guys like Tobey McGuire and Andrew Garfield who sucked.

Nolan's Batman was 100X better.
From a pure entertainment value I would say Antman may have been the best of all the Marvel movies.

Im with TMJ when I am flying at around 8 PM and want to to turn on some bs movie I go with a super hero or one of the cartoon movies. Every year I try to watch the movie's up for Academy Awards and every year I find that I wasted 2 hours of my life. Would rather watch something mildy entertaining

The Nolan Batman's worked well because they tried to operate with some sense of realism. The Avengers movies don't even attempt to go for that. They're just straight, mindless popcorn flicks. It's hard to operate within the bounds of reality with characters like Thor of course. I also dont like how they took Hulk from a muscle bound freak to a guy who could jump 5000 feet over mountains. Stupid.

Last edited:
Part that drives me crazy about those movies is that there is a cut literally every 3-5 seconds. That's the formula for CGI heavy flicks. Makes my head hurt. Transformers is even worse than that. And the stories basically suck.

The one exception I thought was the first Captain America - probably because it was WW2 related. Rest have been an awful mess, but they soak up $$ like there's no tomorrow. These movies pay for a lot of other movies, so to each his own I guess. TV seems to be where it's at these days. Just scrolled through PPV over the weekend and could not find one thing worth the 6 bucks. Also seem to be dearth of serious actors out there who can handle a serious story, notwithstanding anything Bryan Cranston might be in.

Like the realism when you get your back broken in half and thrown in a pit then come back a few weeks later to beat up the guy who broken your back and threw you into a pit?

"Some sense". Compared to the Avengers - super realistic.

To say that any of the super hero movies have any realism whatsoever is kind of crazy.

Saying that certain people like plot, certain people like special affects. Batman movies have way more plot to them than any of the Avenger movies. They actually build up not only the hero's story but the story of sub characters and the villains.
Also each movie builds upon the characters past.

The marvel movies introduce the character's story than immediately start blowing crap up.
Civil War was the first movie that really dove into the character's history (Iron Man).

Also Nolan's batman is very dark. The Marvel Avengers movies are much lighter.

I like the Batman movies better but not because there is a sense of realism. Sorry to disappoint but a man in bat suit is not going to beat up 12 dudes in an alley.

Batman and Ironman are normal guy billionaires who don't have superpowers. They are powered by their high-tech inventions and sui. Unlike Superman and Thor and shit who can fly to different galaxies in a span of 5 seconds because they're just awesome and God-like.

Batman and Ironman are normal guy billionaires who don't have superpowers. They are powered by their high-tech inventions and sui. Unlike Superman and Thor and shit who can fly to different galaxies in a span of 5 seconds because they're just awesome and God-like.
I thought this was kids stuff?

The Nolan Batman's worked well because they tried to operate with some sense of realism. The Avengers movies don't even attempt to go for that. They're just straight, mindless popcorn flicks. It's hard to operate within the bounds of reality with characters like Thor of course. I also dont like how they took Hulk from a muscle bound freak to a guy who could jump 5000 feet over mountains. Stupid.

FYI, Hulk has always been able to do that stuff. The TV show from the 70's really watered down the character's powers to make it viable for TV at the time.

FYI, Hulk has always been able to do that stuff. The TV show from the 70's really watered down the character's powers to make it viable for TV at the time.

I enjoyed the TV version then. I don't read the comics.

Haha haha......This is great Intel.

Deadpool I just watched on my flight. Not that bad? But probably no room for a sequel.

Deadpool I just watched on my flight. Not that bad? But probably no room for a sequel.
Deadpool was great. I knew nothing about that and saw it and really enjoyed it. Probably why I went to see Civil War.

The new DC Suicide Squad coming out looks pretty good.

If you haven't followed the main Marvel movies it is really hard to jump into what is essentially the 7th film in a series. You really need to watch the Iron Man, Captain America, and Avenger's movies first otherwise you miss so many little things.

Deadpool was excellent and allowed people to jump into a movie without worrying about past history. Suicide Squad should hopefully do the same thing. You don't even have to see BvS to watch it, as everyone knows who Batman is.

I enjoyed Guardians of the Galaxy, mostly because it was realistic.

Also love the fact that they got Vin Diesel to voice a character that just said Groot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT