ADVERTISEMENT

Cats Will Beat Penn To Go To 3 - 1 in September

UncleEd

VUSports.com Legend
Gold Member
Sep 15, 2003
Is anyone out there who expected anything different?
Yes ME. Because I thought against these FBS teams ,UConn was a team Cats could beat. But this is not the very weak UConn team of last year. Lost today at Missouri 9 -6 on their first road game. Now 2 - 1

Season is quickly slipping away.
As much as this loss hurts, the W&M game is more important. Win that Cats are back in the playoff hunt. It is a BIG conference game.
But I agree with you Von, the way Cats played tonight, the way the coaches coached, it sure seems like this season is slipping away.

Reactions: Bobby Dix
Worst game of the Talley era. Losing at the line of scrimmage, stupid penalties, bad play-calling and the ongoing special teams debacle. The new AD's head must be spinning.

Season is quickly slipping away.

brightsiding, still 1-0 in Colonial. Ours to win or lose...but loss to Penn probably means gotta finish #1 fro playoffs

(btw, did not see/hear game but seems that White fumble inside Penn 10 ended up a 14-pt. play)

OVERCONFIDENT = NOT READY TO PLAY

I will give Penn credit for winning. They had nothing to lose and they played like it. I think Villanova thought they could roll their helmets onto the field and they would win. That being said, there is no way that Villanova should lose to this Penn team. I bet if they played 10 more times, Villanova would win all ten. The loss was a total team effort right down to the coaches. It was like I was watching the Eagles-Dallas game all over again. I though back over the years since they brought back football and I rank this as the second most embarrassing loss by a VU football team. Losing to New Haven (a D II team) with Brian Westbrook and Brett Gordon on the team was probably the most embarrassing, but this is close.
I really thought if Villanova pulled to within 17-14, they were going to win the game and I bet every Penn player and fan were thinking the same thing.

Nothing positive can be ascertained from this game. All phases disappointed from dropped passes, penalties, fumbled kick off, fumbled in red zone returned for a score, botched snap on XP, sideline penalty,etc.

The defense was pushed around play after play. The secondary gave up big plays all night. The offensive line is a Mash unit & are going to get Zach Bednarcyzk killed.

Hopefully, they can come back from this loss. It's a bad one for sure.

Penn kicked our butts pure and simple and deserved to win last night's game. The Cats played very flat last night and it cost them because of the way they got behind so early. As bad as the injuries have hurt this team and losing John Robertson was a killer,the Cats cannot use injuries as an excuse and need to come ready to play against William and Mary on October 10th.

Most concern about Dee. 3 new Oline players and new QB - o started to get it together in 2nd half. Fumble was a killer after a long drive.

Give credit to the Penn team. They earned it.

Good student turnout. Glad to see that. Tom

brightsiding, still 1-0 in Colonial. Ours to win or lose...but loss to Penn probably means gotta finish #1 fro playoffs

(btw, did not see/hear game but seems that White fumble inside Penn 10 ended up a 14-pt. play)

OVERCONFIDENT = NOT READY TO PLAY
Ed I am trying to brightside, but I can't. Everything stunk last night. Coaching, players,everything.
But as usual, Ed you make a good point. The W&M game is very much more important than the Penn game. It is a big conference game. However based on last night's performance , Cats can't beat Mary, let alone William & Mary.

Reactions: softness1
Penn played a spirited game from the opening kickoff. They moved the ball very effectively with mostly between the tackles for 5,6,7 yard runs & a short passing game. Villanova couldn't stop them from eating up the clock much of the 1st half and fell behind 14-0. The Nova OL gave little to no protection to QB Zach Bednarcyzk as he was under pressure on most throws. Stupid penalties gave Penn 1st downs & kept drives alive for Penn.
Villanova fumbled a kickoff also in the 1st half & went into half down 14-0. 2nd half started with Nova having to punt & Penn got a FG to make it 17-0. There it looked like Villanova was going to make it a game and possibly win a close one as they cut the lead to 17-7 and were driving with 10 or so minutes to go. The turning point was a fumble inside Penn's 10 that was scooped up and returned for a TD. Game could have been 17-14 instead went 24-7.
The Villanova offense is a mere shell of their high expectations. The offense was abysmal and in a game that the defense had to step up they were mediocre at best.
Penn played like they were #4 in the country not the Wildcats. Hats off to a Penn team that came in with a solid game and a tremendous team will to win.
As for Villanova,they have masqueraded as a top FCS team this season. Well the mask is off now & we'll see if they have enough talent and character to turn a once NC contending season back around. The team can still have a solid season, but it also it's at the inflection point. The way they played last night they won't win many more games.
Penn deserves all the accolades. An intrepid performance on the Main Line by them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobby Dix and EdMcM
I'm not impressed with this new AD.....! week on the job and we lose to a team that we NEVER lose to....He is going to have to get ramp up much faster.

Penn needed the perfect storm coupled with good play and good coaching to win this game and they got it. The perfect storm was1) playing against a QB making his first start with a depleted offensive line, 2) playing Villanova without one of the most dynamic players/leaders in FCS, 3) playing a team who I believe Villanova didn't take seriously enough 4) This was the trap game between two big games. That being said, even with those factors, Villanova should win this game. But Penn came ready to play, and they executed their game plan to perfection from both a players and coaches standpoint. On paper, Penn may be the second worst team (after Rhode Island) on the schedule. It will be interesting to see how Penn does against Fordham. Maybe we will find they are better over an entire season, than we thought.

Time of possession: Penn 39:48 Nova 20:12
'Nuff said.
Not nuff said. Let's talk about the penalties. Bench was even penalized twice.
Kept two Penn drives alive. Stupid defense off sides.
Penalized 11 times for 77yds. Last week penalized 80 yds. Not a disciplined team.

Reactions: EdMcM
Ed I am trying to brightside, but I can't. Everything stunk last night. Coaching, players,everything.
But as usual, Ed you make a good point. The W&M game is very much more important than the Penn game. It is a big conference game. However based on last night's performance , Cats can't beat Mary, let alone William & Mary.

Ed, when even you can't brightside, we is in deep doo-doo. Well, at least we have 2 more wins than the (alleged!!!) super-bowl-bound iggles... (today's philly-type "bright-siding")

Not nuff said. Let's talk about the penalties. Bench was even penalized twice.
Kept two Penn drives alive. Stupid defense off sides.
Penalized 11 times for 77yds. Last week penalized 80 yds. Not a disciplined team.
Ed you are right. Drives were kept alive by stupid penalties. Nose tackle jumped which is a cardinal sin. 2 sideline penalties after a warning is inexcusable. The entire program took Penn lightly and paid dearly.

I'm hoping they learn from this and improve, but the season is clearly on the brink. A very good W&M team is coming in here sensing wounded Wildcats await them. A performance like last night will be a ugly game vs. W&M for sure.

I hope they show this game to the entire program next time we play a so-called inferior opponent.

I am sorry gents, but teams like W&M and JMU will beat Villanova by 20 points this season unless something changes quickly.

UE, do we have a new offensive coordinator?

If you're EVEN a decent team, you can't lose to (gasp) Penn - CAN'T CAN'T CAN'T CAN'T.
Yeah, let's start the move up to 1A stuff again.

Reactions: NovaUSMC01
There is a bye week to get folks healthy, watch that tape and get our head together. This is a Hugh coaching challenge - let's see how the team and coaches respond before we bury them. As Yogi said - it's not over till it's over! Tom

There is a bye week to get folks healthy, watch that tape and get our head together. This is a Hugh coaching challenge - let's see how the team and coaches respond before we bury them. As Yogi said - it's not over till it's over! Tom
W&M has an interesting game today at home vs a tough Stony Brook. Next week they travel up to Delaware. Cats have 16 days to rest and get coached up before W&M arrives.
Go Cats Beat Tribe

Reactions: EdMcM and Bobby Dix
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT