ADVERTISEMENT

CBs

ROMEOCAT

All VUSports.com Team
Aug 11, 2002
After W&M's spectacular game by it's All-American WR Tre McBride a week ago in which he amassed 200+ yards, it was obvious W&M exploited the most glaring weakness on the VU team, namely the wo CB positions manned by sophomores. As amazing as JR has been, he cannot be expected to pull rabbits out of hats every week, although the offense averaging 30+ PPG has been nice. I'm old-school somewhat ... Defense wins games.

I am not going to bury my head in the sand re the Nova DB. Some problems there. I also am old school - defense wins championships.
But let's look at these last two games. We all realize Tre McBride is a super receiver. Will be playing on Sunday next year.
Yesterday our guys had 3 pics returned for 98 yds. Not too shabby. Jason Ceneus 2 for 71 yds. One that he returned for 40 yds set up a JR pass to Poppy Livers for a TD..Junior SS Matt McCann had one returned it for 27 yds.

As a team Cats gave up 204 thru the air and 109 on the ground. I know the defensive game plan each week is to stop the run. Stop the run first. I think in two games earlier this season they held the opponent to less than sixty yds on the ground.
Yesterday Senior LB Joey Harmon had to sit out the first half. Really hurt. Cats gave up 21pts. He returns-Cats give up only 7. His presence helps Don Cherry perform at All American level.
BTW both of Ceneus pics led to Nova TDs JR ,once again, did not throw a pic.
This post was edited on 10/26 9:12 AM by UncleEd

OK, I did not realize how much of a positive factor the DBs were yesterday, I didn't attend the game so my post was somewhat nearsighted. A game like yesterday's will doubtlessly build up confidence in Geneus. Right you are ,,, VU's game plan ,,, stop the Run, or in the case of good passing teams, Bend don't Break. W&M was a running team, & we effectively shut that down.

3 INT's was nice but we also gave up 23 completions for 200 yards to a running QB who had never started a college football game before yesterday. I think next week's game at Richmond will give us a pretty good idea where VU is defensively.

I noted the same thing about Cherry's play when Harmon was out in the 1st half. Nothing special. Alongside Harmon in the 2nd half Cherry was unstoppable. Those 2 plus Lucas adds up to an outstanding FCS linebacking corps.

The Morgan QB who started against Nova was their #2. He had not played enough to be labeled either a running or passing QB. After watching him yesterday I label him a passing QB.Cats picked him off three times. He threw for one TD.Cats won the battle vs him I don't care how many yds he got. Bend don't break.
Richmond.s #1 QB ,a very good QB ,is out and won't play vs Cats. Even with him playing I doubt Richmond could out score Cats.

My insight about the Morgan State QB being a runner first and a passer second was acquired from some Morgan State fans I was sitting among. In any event, he ran and passed well. VU's defensive pressure took away the Morgan State passing game in the second half.

Playing on the road against a ranked opponent will not be easy. 3 of the FCS Top 8 lost on the road yesterday to UNRANKED opponents. We're going down there with the top QB in FCS, so I'm optimistic that VU will prevail. Agree that Poppy will return to form. Looking forward to sitting in Row A of the new Stadium. Hope our Cheerleaders find it in their hearts to come down.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT