ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats CoP...

What an illustrious list of cities

1. Philadelphia
2. Natchez, Miss.
3. Yellowstone National Park (Montana, Wyoming, Idaho)
4. Birmingham, Ala.
5. Alaska
6. Somerville, Mass.
7. Northwest Ark.
8. San Antonio, Texas
9. Southern N.M.
10. Milwaukee, Wisc.

What an illustrious list of cities

1. Philadelphia
2. Natchez, Miss.
4. Birmingham, Ala.
5. Alaska
6. Somerville, Mass.
7. Northwest Ark.
8. San Antonio, Texas
9. Southern N.M.
10. Milwaukee, Wisc.

Hmmmm...Yellowstone, Alaska, NW Arkansas and Southern NM are cities by your definition?

I think San Antonio (in the winter) is the only place I would want to go there that is a city.

Yellowstone is a park.

What an illustrious list of places

1. Philadelphia
2. Natchez, Miss.
4. Birmingham, Ala.
5. Alaska
6. Somerville, Mass.
7. Northwest Ark.
8. San Antonio, Texas
9. Southern N.M.
10. Milwaukee, Wisc.

Fixed. Mea Gulpa

Love a good CoP thread in the morning.

How about a CoP review? I actually took my family on vacation to Philly this last fall. In fact, I appear to be lonley planets target demographic having visited #1, 3, 5, 6, 8 and 9.

My wife, three kids (10 year old and 7 year old twins) and I flew into NY, spent four days in CoDB, took train to Philly spent three days and then went to DC and spent four days.

In philly, We stayed at the Hotel Monaco on Chestnut between 4th and 5th. It is right across from Indepence Hall.

Really liked the hotel. Great location for family and tourist stuff. Rooms included "Rocky" bathrobs and they gave my kids kites to use in independence park along with a short biography about Ben Franklin. Hallways were fiulled with pictures of old mummers parades from 1920s and 30s

While there we toured Independence Hall, went on walking tour of Society Hill, went to mint and old city area, down to Penns landing. Went out to Mueuem and boathouse row. Ate twice at Reading terminal market- breakfast one day and lunch another. Bought some snacks there that we ate at hotel (cheese /cupcakes)

Had liberty bell almost to ourselves on a Monday afternoon. Great park ranger who entertained the kids for about an hour.

Not sure we could spend more than three days there. But was a great trip with elementary/ middle school aged kids. There is a SEPTA family pass. $25 unlimited rides for family up to 5 people. There was a Market Street Line station right outside hotel. The "utley jerseys" and "bad tippers" you all complain about were very nice. We were obvious tourists and peoplke gave up seats on subway to my kids and gave directions etc. throughout our stay

Kids did not like NYC as much as Philly. My ten year old told me he felt like he was "always in shadows and looking for sunlight..." Central Park was saving grace for NYC. As a traveler, Besides hotel and food (1/2 the price of NYC) I really didnt have to spend much money in Philly. NYC just vacuums money out of your pocket.

Last edited:
Reactions: NickleDimer
I tried to get my wife to consider Bucks County...rental car...NJ turnpike each day...

Gas is cheap- probably would have saved a few dollars

but my wife is from DelCo (Ridley....real DelCo). She thinks Bucks County is too snobby

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT