ADVERTISEMENT

Crossfit?

FatPhilM

'Nova Nation Sensation
Feb 7, 2009
I know it has been discussed that a lot of these people are dorks but what is entailed in the workouts? Is it a lot better than other workouts? I need to improve my exercise.

The answer is any workout that pushes your fitness level and you can commit to with regularity(important part) is best for you. It all depends on what workout environment motivates you to show up every day.

NovaBubba is a crossfitter. He can probably explain what it entails. From what I can tell, it involves lifting things at a high rate of speed with your heart rate elevated while people yell at you to go faster/lift more, then you go running.

Reactions: spg109876ers
The answer is any workout that pushes your fitness level and you can commit to with regularity(important part) is best for you. It all depends on what workout environment motivates you to show up every day.

ND kinda nails this. Don't get yourself involved in something that you dread going to and don't enjoy. Some people really like getting their ass kicked a little bit and have somebody motivating them. I like working out at my own pace.

For example, I don't like working out with other people and I don't really like lifting so I do 3 different weight exercises, 4 sets of each, focusing on a different area (back, chest, shoulders, etc.) each time I go, and then I do the elliptical for about 40 minutes (switching speeds and resistance throughout) and I am done with the workout in usually an hour. Any more than that I would hate going to the gym. This is enough for me where I get a good workout and I am not in the gym for 3 hours.

Again though, if you get yourself involved with something that you hate, it is probably not the best way to approach getting back in shape.

NovaBubba is a crossfitter. He can probably explain what it entails. From what I can tell, it involves lifting things at a high rate of speed with your heart rate elevated while people yell at you to go faster/lift more, then you go running.

Yessir I am. It's basically high intensity training mixing olympic lifts (snatch, clean & jerk) with gymnastic/bodyweight movements (ring work, air squats, burpees, etc) and more cardio focused elements (running, rowing). The crossfit mantra is "constantly varied" so the workouts tend to never be the same and be a mix and match of movements to stimulate all parts of the body.

I fully admit to drinking the crossfit koolaid, i'm a big fan of it. the crazy obsessed people i could do without for the most part, i do eat paleo as much as possible, and have seen great results from the lifestyle.

Happy to answer any other questions on it.

The crossfit guys have done a great job with branding and getting people to buy into the lifestyle. So they have done well marketing and they have what appears to be a pretty good workout, too. Motivation comes differently for different people. I can see why a crossfit member that feels welcome at the box would be motivated.

I'll stick to playing sports for exercise though.

What is the crossfit lifestyle? What percentage of crossfitters are also Paleo? What is the connection between the two?

What is the crossfit lifestyle? What percentage of crossfitters are also Paleo? What is the connection between the two?

Lots of crossfitters tend to flock together and let it take over their life, hanging out only with crossfitters, conversations revolve around it, revised eating habits, less drinking, etc. It can tend to run your life through and through. No thanks to that for me.

Paleo, I would say over half do it if not more at least in some respect. Full blown paleo/zone is another thing, but that leads to the point above where it rules your life. I find that eating mostly paleo helps with reducing inflammation after workouts so I don't feel as sore/puffy the next day.

Ignorant, heard of it but don't know what it is; paleo is what exactly?

Ignorant, heard of it but don't know what it is; paleo is what exactly?
The paleo diet, loosely speaking, is eating like a caveman. You eat meat and vegetables only. No grains, nothing processed. In extreme forms, people purchase special meats that have been raised a certain way and are much more fatty than the usual farmed meats.

The paleo diet rose to prominence alongside crossfit, which promotes a similar type of culture. They don't use machines to work out, they use movements that the body is used to doing for thousands of years. I think it's all bull, personally, but the diet and the exercise losers are definitely intertwined and have a similar, survivalist worldview. There was actually an article a year or so ago that basically made the connection between Crossfit people and the doomsday prepper movement, but I can't find it now.

adp, my buddy did it last year and lost like 80 pounds in 6 months. It is basically like eating like a caveman, you eat meats, fish, fruits and vegetables. So for example my friend would get a salad with grilled chicken and absolutely no dressing. When he went to the movies he would always bring with him almonds and water. I think you can eat however much you want to eat, whenever you want to eat but you have to eat the foods specific to the paleo diet. Also, no dairy.

Did Crossfit for about a year. Excellent total body workout but it can be grueling. No boozing it up or partying if you are going to work out at that intensity 6 days a week. Oh and it is a cult. Wouldnt be suprised to read at some point that 100 crossfitters are found in some random wharehouse having eaten each other to death.

I've never heard of it. From the sound of it seems like an activity strictly for the gays?
You have never heard of Crossfit? The thing that's in every town in America?

I'm by no means a believer, but it's been pretty hard to miss over the last 5 years.

how long before these crossfit-centric gyms start to decline in #s?

its crazy how many you see pop up, and i dont see how they can all be run profitably as such niche establishments. especially when the culture and general attitude of the clientele would definitely be a turnoff to someone that would want to join up for any other reason...

the workouts are great, but i feel like its getting to the point where a lot of people just do it to say they do it, and cant do the workouts with the respect that they deserve. does this piss off the true crossfitters? the ones with real capability that are trying to get faster, stronger, etc, not just trying out the new fitness fad?

sidenote - have any of you noticed that that guy or gal from work that is always doing the newest thing, always talking about their workouts and eating etc seems to never make progress?

IMO, the attraction of crossfit is:
1) camaraderie
2) varied workouts
3) more minimalist approach (basic lifts, body weight movements, etc.)

yes those are all the reasons for me. plus it cuts out having to think about your workouts, they're programmed for you. just do them.

and in response to the poster above about being annoyed with people doing it for the sake of saying that they're a part of it yes that is awful. it is right up there in my eyes with people cutting reps to finish first (i can't say how much I hate it when people cheat workouts).

I like the idea of mixing things up and also of not having to plan the activity. I am not so into the social aspect. I'm not a person who usually craves company. The deal breaker for me is 6 days a week. I don't have the time for that nor do I recover fast enough. I guess I'll stick to what I'm doing.

My take is that if it works for you, awesome. No right answer as long as you're not one of those guys grunting and doing too much weight without doing anything.

I like the idea of mixing things up and also of not having to plan the activity. I am not so into the social aspect. I'm not a person who usually craves company. The deal breaker for me is 6 days a week. I don't have the time for that nor do I recover fast enough. I guess I'll stick to what I'm doing.

why do you have to go 6 days a week?? I go 3-5 and it is perfect for me.

Also Nardi I get your joke now, it was a married joke. funny.

I saw someone else post six days, I guess I incorrectly assumed it was a regimen that was that many days.

I don't understand why people need to be told what to do for their workouts. Take 10 seconds and go online to see some "difficult" crossfit-like exercises and do them. I feel like crossfit is for the guys who sucked at sports growing up and want to feel like they're in better shape than everyone who played actual sports. I'm sure most cross fitters can do more boxjump burpees than me, sounds like my nightmare.

7 days in a week
3 dedicated to lifting (2 back 1 chest or 1 back 2 chest -- every other week switch).
2 dedicated to cardio (Run/Stairmaster above 120 steps/min)
1 dedicated to core exercises (planks, sit ups, leg lifts, back stretches -- maybe throw in Bikram hot yoga starting in December once it's cold again)
1 dedicated to executive workout (steam/sauna)

Ultimately, working out is vanity. If you're eating right and doing a small amount of walking each day, you can live a long healthy life. People forget this (including myself) and get into arguments about what form of vanity is better or tougher or more "functional" (as if front squats improve your spreadsheet skillz).

Reactions: catFANatic80
I don't understand why people need to be told what to do for their workouts. Take 10 seconds and go online to see some "difficult" crossfit-like exercises and do them. I feel like crossfit is for the guys who sucked at sports growing up and want to feel like they're in better shape than everyone who played actual sports. I'm sure most cross fitters can do more boxjump burpees than me, sounds like my nightmare.

7 days in a week
3 dedicated to lifting (2 back 1 chest or 1 back 2 chest -- every other week switch).
2 dedicated to cardio (Run/Stairmaster above 120 steps/min)
1 dedicated to core exercises (planks, sit ups, leg lifts, back stretches -- maybe throw in Bikram hot yoga starting in December once it's cold again)
1 dedicated to executive workout (steam/sauna)

Pretty easy to understand for me at least. many didn't need to be told what to do and/or motivated, everyone would be working out in much better shape.

And you really think someone with minimal experience is just going to youtube some exercises and then do them properly... know how his/her body works... know when to keep pushing... when to rest... move onto next excericise... etc?

Shit, on a daily basis I see people at the gym who can't even to a simple chest press machine properly. How do you expect them to do some CF circuit properly without injuring themselve?

As people already stated, whatever works for the individual. Have never done CF; doubt I'd like it much and I don't see my knees agreeing to box jumps... shoulders digging muscle-ups. But if it's getting people into working out, which seems to be the case, great.

Lastly - where's your leg day bro?

Last edited:
Add to list of

No one says you must go 6 days per week but dont get yourself mixed up in one of these crazy crossfit dojos. There will be repercussions.

Lastly - where's your leg day bro?

Skip leg day. Whatever cardio I do counts for legs. I'll start doing legs when I'm 35ish when it might actually help me. I ran a ton for a while, my calves are holding strong despite no leg work in a few years.

Huge mistake. Working legs helps every muscle in your body.

Agreed. Ever since I started to actually work out my legs for real my runs have been so much better. I can't stress enough how important leg day is. It is my favorite day in the gym.

Largest muscles, working them releases all kinds of good stuff into your system.

That's funny as I just gave up the leg portion of my land workout in favor of adding more core workout to that program as I swim on alternate days and feel I get adequate leg coverage there.

So you are criticizing Crossfitters for their choice of exercise, but you skip legs b/c it's "boring".

Makes sense

More importantly, crossfit chicks tend to be pretty hot, have great butts, and wear little clothing.

1188, you don't need to do loads of legs. Here is a simple leg workout: 3 sets of walking lunges, 3 supersets of presses (legs close together/wide) and extensions. Boon, it will take 15-20 minutes. Do it twice per week. Heck, just do the walking lunges if you need to. The best low-impact set I have found. Great for your legs, hammy's, quads etc....everything. Also doesn't kill the joints.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT