ADVERTISEMENT

Girls HS basketball coach suspended for running up the score

I love this quote: "The game just got away from me," Anderson told
the San Bernardino Sun Friday. "I didn't play any starters in the
second half. I didn't expect them to be that bad. I'm not trying to
embarrass anybody."

You win a game 161-2 and you didn't try to run up the score???

I'm not a everybody gets a trophy guy, but I've been around HS sports for a long time. I've seen some total mismatches. I get that. But you really, really, really, really have to try to beat another team 161-2. It's impossible to do without superior talent, inferior opponent, and superior talent trying their best to create a score like that. Who is this jackass kidding?

Originally posted by wcburrs87:
I'm not a everybody gets a trophy guy, but I've been around HS sports for a long time. I've seen some total mismatches. I get that. But you really, really, really, really have to try to beat another team 161-2. It's impossible to do without superior talent, inferior opponent, and superior talent trying their best to create a score like that. Who is this jackass kidding?
"shouldn't you watching your kids"-tjc

I have no problem with it. Other team doesn't like it, then play some D and stop them even if you have to throw a elbow or flagrant foul them. Make them think twice about driving the lane with such ease.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Nardi, not many leagues for 3 and 8-month olds. I had the 3-year old with me at the Burrdome for some HS action last night.

at that level, even for HS, absolute d-bag move.

Second half should have been nothing more than winning team making 10-12 mandatory passes each possession, with only the worst three players on the team taking shots.

No way you get that score without trying hard to stick it up the other team's ass.

No sportsmanship or class in that move.

So what exactly is enough and what exactly is playing the right way.
Why didn't the coach of the team that was behind 100-2 at half-time just forfeit the game and not even send his team out there in the second half?
What is to be gained by one team just throwing the ball around for an entire half to kill time?
It does neither team any good to play in a game that lopsided.
I agree the guys should stop pressing but there is a bigger problem here - a team as poor as the one that lost shouldn't be out there playing against teams at such a higher level of skill/ability. If they are that much worse than everyone else they should disband the team.
It isn't a competition or a sporting event if one team just can't even compete with the other.
If some jack-ass entered a station wagon in the Indy 500 would all the other drivers have to slow down to keep it close and not embarrass the person in the wagon?

Common sense says once you are up by 25 or 30, you sit back in a 2-3 zone on defense, and stop fast-breaking. Then you run extended sets, and take only outside shots. If that coach says "the game got away from him", and actually believes it, then he is too stupid to coach anyway.

If you need an explicit definition of when you hit "too much", you are probably already there.

it is viewed as disrespectful to run up the score.
it is also demoralizing and indicative of the lack of respect a team has in your ability to play a game when that team lolly-gags a game away by pretending to play defense and letting their scrubs take every shot.
Again - just call the game if it is so mentally distressful on your team. The refs could do it, either coach could do it ... just playing it out is a waste of everyone's time. At least when you run the score up your team gets to practice shooting.

I'm guessing The losing team knew they had no chance well before the game. So what do you do? You look for your players to compete, even when they are over matched. Even if the score was 48-2, it still doesn't change what each team experiences, but it probably prevents you from becoming a national joke.

Originally posted by tomdudes:
I'm guessing The losing team knew they had no chance well before the game. So what do you do? You look for your players to compete, even when they are over matched. Even if the score was 48-2, it still doesn't change what each team experiences, but it probably prevents you from becoming a national joke.
Apparently that is all they had, clearly they did not have basketball players.

That's what happens when you can't make your 3's or hit your free throws........tough loss.

Originally posted by NovaUSMC01:
ML, was hoping you would comment further in the PSU thread.
What would you like me to say.....the PSU haters were haters before the Sandusky tragedy ever started.....All the media and knowledgeable sports commentators agree that the NCAA were wrong from the start and reversed their decisions before they were forced to. It was a horrible era.....Sandusky was/is a scumbag.......Paterno told the top admins what he knew.....no action was taken........As they should have been, the admins lost their jobs and their future could call for jail, but, either way, they are ruined. Paterno died......Now, all the innocent students, teachers, athletes, can resume their endeavors whether the haters like it or not. Get use to it. And recognize that most schools could not survive what Penn State went through.

Just wanted your take since you said it was right. I don't think this has anything to do with "Penn State haters" (a common refrain it seems). This is child molestation we are talking about, not someone committing a petty crime. I also do not think "all the media" agree with your assertion. I am surprised everyone is so at ease with accepting the pass the buck leadership displayed by Paterno in this matter. Anyway, thanks for the input.

Can someone explain why those PSU guys still haven't gone on trial yet? It's going on 4 years now. Sandusky was tried within 6 months. Takes 4 years to try these guys for perjury?

Well ... the NCAA gave Joe Pa back his wins.
But he will never get back his reputation. His legacy is forever tarnished because he chose to protect the image of his football program ahead of protecting children from a rapist.

Should have a "mercy rule" like in Little League baseball. However, to compare running in the Indy 500 to playing a HS girls basketball game is a bit of a stretch.

Coach's comment was ridiculous and he should be suspended for that.

As for the game he knew going in that the opponent was overmatched and he should have played his end of bench for most of the game. Maybe he did dunno…

Back in the day, I coached a 7/8 grade team that had zero talent and we were on short end of stick every game. Kids played hard but …. All but one opponent coach knew the deal and handled appropriately. A couple years later that coach had a pretty bad team. Well what goes around comes around…...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT