ADVERTISEMENT

Harvey vs Hamels Friday night

ADP, all total this is a solid list. No NBA in Pitt, so open market for you there. I'm still troubled by the Red Sox over Pirates. On board with Nats now, but disappointed on the 6-year wait. You're fandom gets a solid B, tho.

This. No issues with rooting for your hometown team. That makes sense.

It's the fact that you stayed home and showed no interest when the team needed your support, then when they finally turned the corner, you became all about the "Natitude!".

That's not frontrunning?

I will give free passes to anyone that grew up a Braves fan. They were good in the 90's and 2000s, and they were on TV all of the time. It was just as easy to watch them on TNT or TBS as it was to watch a local team.

A lot of youngsters who don't have proper guidance surrounding them will tend to be frontrunners. It's actually quite common and from ages 10-17 can be acceptable. Just like people this age can't drive a car yet, vote, consume alcohol, etc they also struggle to align their allegiances with sports in the proper places. Many grow out of this phase once entering adulthood. Dean is a prime of example, due to moving multiple times and fewer options in the home base area, who just stuck with the childhood front-running teams. This happens and can be understandable in some cases. His reasoning is plausible in terms of being exposed to only certain teams as a youngster, plus of the other factors already discussed.

This is a real solid post and accurately deconstructs and describes the mindset of a handful of people I knew at those ages with those sorts of proclivities. But have to say I thought The Dean's list was so extreme that it might be trolling on this topic, and the work of a famous "alt"artist. Not growing out of it is weird. Knew a guy who had Duke b-ball as one of his teams--always thought it was weird that it was not outgrown. But probably not surprising knowing that person, probably couldn't even have filled out an application to Duke.

Anyhow, interesting that after all of this burrs rates adp's fandom a "B." At the end of the day adp's reasons for adopting the Nats make sense (location in town over long period, kids), it's the parts he seemingly throws in defensively to account for the time lag and opportune timing of the changeover that are strange, namely ownership issue. Just own the part about waiting for the team to really show that it might be a contender, and the division's long-time standard bearer to slip off the pedestal, to hop on. You waited for the complete fall of the Phils' reign over the NL East to adopt, then started piling on Phils' fans on here almost overnight, which I think is what rubbed people the wrong way. No dues were paid over the years that the Nats were pretty much an automatic dozen wins every year, some years like 15.

Reactions: vujoe62
Anyhow, interesting that after all of this burrs rates adp's fandom a "B." At the end of the day adp's reasons for adopting the Nats make sense (location in town over long period, kids), it's the parts he seemingly throws in defensively to account for the time lag and opportune timing of the changeover that are strange, namely ownership issue. Just own the part about waiting for the team to really show that it might be a contender, and the division's long-time standard bearer to slip off the pedestal, to hop on. You waited for the complete fall of the Phils' reign over the NL East to adopt, then started piling on Phils' fans on here almost overnight, which I think is what rubbed people the wrong way. No dues were paid over the years that the Nats were pretty much an automatic dozen wins every year, some years like 15.

PrinceFielderBatFlip.gif

I can fully admit I liked frontrunners - because as I said, those were the only teams that were on TV when I was young! What kid is going to say, "ohh, I think the Tampa Bay Bucs will be my team, they went 2-14! this year! They're going to be great next year!" And by sheer luck, all of the teams that I did like continued to excel (At least the Islanders did for a few years). Why would a young kid change from ANY of those teams in the early 80s? When you decide to like a team, and that team wins a championship, I'm pretty sure 100% of the time you're going to stick with them. Phrases like "growing out of it," and "aligning allegiances with sports in the proper places?" Complete bullshjt!!! For example, no matter how often the Bills might have been on local TV, I saw them for what they were - a team that sucked and that would never win. So then they got good in the late 80s - what, was I supposed to switch from a dominant NFC 49er team that had won four Super Bowls that decade to an up-and-coming Bills team because I was from Western NYS? Laughable, man. I followed sports on my own - my Dad and relatives didn't tell me whom to root for, or any such nonsense. I was raised in an environment where I could make my own choices.

I liked the teams I saw on TV because of the players and coaches. Magic Johnson. Norm Nixon. Michael Cooper. Mike Bossy. Jamaal Wilkes. Bryan Trottier. Ozzie Smith. Willie McGee. Joe Montana. Ronnie Lott. Clark Gillies. Dwight Clark. Whitey Herzog. Pat Riley. Bill Walsh. Dean Smith. Bobby Bowden. Al Arbour.

Knew a guy who had Duke b-ball as one of his teams--always thought it was weird that it was not outgrown.

What can you do - as Pete Gillen famously said, "Certainly Duke is Duke. They're on TV more than 'Leave it to Beaver' reruns"

Most people are sheep.

Most people like the idea of showing some pride and loyalty towards the teams where they live. A lot of people like sharing in the experiences with friends and other members of the community. Most don't like being the lone wolf in their basement wearing a throwback Niners jersey with no one to interact with. Yea, it's only sports. I get that, but it's one of the best diversions people can have outside of the hustle and bustle of real life. Doing it alone most of the time must really suck.

And really, in the early 80's how much more were those teams on TV compared to everyone else? TV exposure was 1/1000 of what it is today.

Being a Met fan in North Jersey in the 90s was basically like being a Phillies/Red Sox fan in the same area. Yankees dominated 90% of the market, if not more.

You don't have to be a CoP 4/4er just because you live in the area. Life would've been a lot easier if I liked the pinstrips, instead I end up celebrating YED (yankee elimination day) when applicable. I think I'm a better person for it, but I don't judge people like you do for picking teams.

Allegiance is bullsh*t. I just became a Cows fan 2 years ago, love it. I consider myself a big fan though I don't watch the games -- but I'm stoked when we win.

I have no loyalty to a product that is inferior. You remind me of a person who could afford a late-model BMW or Audi, but only buys American-made cars out of "patriotism."

My experiences growing up following pro sports teams went like this: My favorite teams were winning titles; almost everyone else's teams sucked. I certainly couldn't care less if I was alone in liking the 49ers when most of my high school was rooting for the pitiful Bills. I laughed at them and fed off their misery. "Wait until next year?" How about: "Wait until your'e dead." I also bet against these fans often and won, playing on the weaknesses of the local mentality.

Later in life I found similar fans of my favorite teams to celebrate with - in dozens of sports bars - especially in Manhattan. As a true Philly 4x4er you and your "community" or whatever you want to call it have seen disappointment in your teams more than 99% of the time for the past 30 years:

Philadelphia Eagles - No championships
Philadelphia Phillies - 2008
Philadelphia 76ers - No championships
Philadelphia Flyers - No championship

cap tip. a move right from uncle dmill's playbook.

Dmil is a loyal fan (Rangers/Mets/Nova/giants). Pretty sure he doesn't care about the NBA/soccer. I think he was bummed when I bailed on the giants after they won the SB in 07 for the Jets, but he came around. People have different reasons for why they root for who they root for, I have enough on my own plate to worry about -- other people's fandom is of no concern (and he definitely realizes that).

The
This is a real solid post and accurately deconstructs and describes the mindset of a handful of people I knew at those ages with those sorts of proclivities. But have to say I thought The Dean's list was so extreme that it might be trolling on this topic, and the work of a famous "alt"artist. Not growing out of it is weird. Knew a guy who had Duke b-ball as one of his teams--always thought it was weird that it was not outgrown. But probably not surprising knowing that person, probably couldn't even have filled out an application to Duke.

Nats never had a. 500 season when my fandom began. They sucked the entire time.

Dmil is a loyal fan (Rangers/Mets/Nova/giants). Pretty sure he doesn't care about the NBA/soccer. I think he was bummed when I bailed on the giants after they won the SB in 07 for the Jets, but he came around. People have different reasons for why they root for who they root for, I have enough on my own plate to worry about -- other people's fandom is of no concern (and he definitely realizes that).

Wait, so all that Phil Jackson keyboard splashing was just for show? Interesting....

You sound like a weirdo with that Cows bit, but knock yourself out.

Why are you obsessing on this? Are you missing the mark that badly?

I like Jordan cause he was clutchest player NBA player ever, I can appreciate that. I honestly don't think I've watched 20+ minutes of a single NBA game in my life.

Why are you obsessing on this? Are you missing the mark that badly?

I like Jordan cause he was clutchest player NBA player ever, I can appreciate that. I honestly don't think I've watched 20+ minutes of a single NBA game in my life.

I liked watching Jordan play, too. Tremendously, actually. I've been a fan of many players, in all the sports, from different teams. Who said you couldn't be a fan of players? Not me.

Fine. You're not a NBA fan. No one said you had to be. Therefore, you don't have a favorite NBA team and are t in that part of the discussion. Not sure you're on the mark right now. Definitely not paying that much attention. The entire conversation has been about being a fan of specific teams, not individual players.

Fine, I'm a Lakers fan because Kobe is on them. If he got traded, I would like that new team. It's not about fair weather fandom -- but even if it was you shouldn't give a damn.

Fine, I'm a Lakers fan because Kobe is on them. If he got traded, I would like that new team. It's not about fair weather fandom -- but even if it was you shouldn't give a damn.

Dude, relax. It's made for some good discussion and some playing around. The board is pretty much dead if not for this thread.

Oh yea, Kobe is done. Also, impossible to be a fan of any team if you haven't watched more than 20 minutes of a NBA game in your entire life.

I agree, obviously the board sucks now. But there you go again concerning yourself with my fanhood. Yeah, I don't watch the NBA. But I have a Kobe jersey (no, I don't wear his name on my back -- got it as a gift from an ex-gf's mom for xmas in 2011). Kind of a funny gift given my hatred of the NBA, but I still like having it.

I agree, obviously the board sucks now. But there you go again concerning yourself with my fanhood. Yeah, I don't watch the NBA. But I have a Kobe jersey (no, I don't wear his name on my back -- got it as a gift from an ex-gf's mom for xmas in 2011). Kind of a funny gift given my hatred of the NBA, but I still like having it.

One, enjoy your jersey. Seriously, knock yourself out with that.

Two, not really concerning myself with your fandom. Simply pointing out when someone states they haven't watched 20 minutes of the NBA in their lifetime that it's not far-fetched to consider that person not too much of a fan. But that's just me.

Thirdly, not sure how big of a Kobe fan one can be when they all but admit that they don't watch the NBA. Like ever. Did Kobe provide you with some private workouts?

Hamels is looking like Hamels but with the team winning games I fear they are gonna be more scared to move him. God I hope not.

Heading to Reading to see the Nola kid pitch this week or next. Kid looks the absolute real deal.

Six in a row baby! Kids running around the house.

Here comes the run.
See, doesn't that feel good. Those smiling faces, the excitement, Cole Hamles winning....life is good. Phils will be five up by the break. Embrace the run!!!

See, doesn't that feel good. Those smiling faces, the excitement, Cole Hamles winning....life is good. Phils will be five up by the break. Embrace the run!!!

You should see how it feels when you actually win a playoff series. Maybe, you'll get that this year.

You should see how it feels when you actually win a playoff series. Maybe, you'll get that this year.

Child please, I've seen my teams win playoff series and world series in person.

Child please, I've seen my teams win playoff series and world series in person.

That's right when you flip-flop squads it increases the chances. Obviously, you understood I was referring to your latest interest.

Hamels' last 3 starts:

(3-0) 21.1 IP, 15 H, 4 W, 24 K, 0 HR, 1.69 ERA, 0.89 WHIP.

Yawn

Hamels' last 3 starts:

(3-0) 21.1 IP, 15 H, 4 W, 24 K, 0 HR, 1.69 ERA, 0.89 WHIP.

Yawn
He is still walking too many hitters, but overall he has been great. What the hell was with Sandberg taking Hamels out after facing 1 batter in the 8th? Typical over managing that goes on in today's game. Hamels was getting stronger as the game went along and there was no need to play the matchup game there as Hamels had dominated Arenado all night and had a 3 run lead to work with. Worst case, you take Hamels out if Arenado reaches with Tulo up, but either way I would take Hamels 101 times out of 100 in that situation over Garcia (even Giles who was unavailable, but hasn't been that great this year so far). It almost came back to bite the Phils as the Rockies were 1 base hit away from tying the game in the 8th.

Was wondering why Giles didn't get a hold in fantasy for me. Is he closer material?

Was wondering why Giles didn't get a hold in fantasy for me. Is he closer material?
Pitched a couple games in a row so he had the night off basically. He is closer material for sure, his velocity has been a bit down this year and even though he has good numbers, he has not been as dominant as last year. Once Pap is gone Giles will be the closer.

Good regular season, heavy favorite, lost to lesser teams. Choke is a choke. Was never like they were some rag tag wild card team. Heavy favorite, usually form April onwards, fell well short. Good Nats impression.
You mean when they were doing their Washington Nationals impression?
(Gr8 regular season, losing to lower seeds)

For the record, I didn't label him a Queen. His own teammates seem to have come up with that.

Here is #1

Good regular season, heavy favorite, lost to lesser teams. Choke is a choke. Was never like they were some rag tag wild card team. Heavy favorite, usually form April onwards, fell well short. Good Nats impression.

And here #2.....

I copied your post this morning and threw it up in Game 7 thread.

Yep, a choke is a choke.

Laughable that you thought I saved a post of your from 3 years ago.

Just own it and we can move on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT