ADVERTISEMENT

Harvey vs Hamels Friday night

Adp's tongue-in-cheekness conveniently leaves out the part about living in that city with a bad team for 8 years and only adopting the local team once it made the long climb to respectability, and put in a .500 season. Sat out the doormat years that defined the Nationals team before that, rooted for Boston, Ben Affleck and Jimmy Fallon or whomever those years instead. Kind of undermines the part about it being ok because he lives there.

This.

Don't look now, but the Phils are on a five-game winning streak.

Here comes the run?

Exactly. Why would anyone go to watch a horrible team in an awful stadium that was just plucked from Montreal? It's not like RFK was PHilled for 5 straight years and then everyone jumped off the bandwagon.

Exactly. Why would anyone go to watch a horrible team in an awful stadium that was just plucked from Montreal? It's not like RFK was PHilled for 5 straight years and then everyone jumped off the bandwagon.
I know. Better to wait until the team starts winning, then hop on the bandwagon.

Kids aren't going to run around the house over a 95 loss team.

I know. Better to wait until the team starts winning, then hop on the bandwagon.

Kids aren't going to run around the house over a 95 loss team.
Kids weren't born but sure.

All I know is that if I was a baseball fan and established residence in a city for almost a decade then I'd be excited that a professional team was coming. Sure, there were going to be lean years at the outset and it was going to take time to line up the ducks, but just getting a team is the foundation of what could be good things down the road. Definitely wouldn't use that initial state to justify any sort of pay no mind belief system that typically come from front-running, fraudulent fans. I'm sure ADP is a solid dude in real life, but in the world of fandom he falls short on the character list.

Oh yea, the Nats are a projected 95+ win team and they still struggle to break 30K per night on average. Terrible fans down in that area. Just terrible.

Nats fans have a long way to go. Give them the 100 years the Phillies have had and then let's judge them. Burrs, you're all about giving time so I'm sure you agree.

Burrs, serious question: what kind of "fan character" would I have if I bailed on the team I rooted the first 35 years of my life? Wouldn't that be a bigger sin in your eyes then jumping on a team just because they moved to the city I live? How would you handle this situation and square with your rules of fandom? What should I have done? Root for two teams? You cannot do that according the god's of fandom? Or can you? Please advise what the correct course of action was in my specific situation?

Nats fans have a long way to go. Give them the 100 years the Phillies have had and then let's judge them. Burrs, you're all about giving time so I'm sure you agree.
Nah, let's judge them now. They suck. And Rizzo is a dickhead.

One trip to Fenway from a WVA/PIT kid leading to becoming a Ref Sox fan is goofy. Right up there with I liked their colors. Root for the teams where you live or be a douchebag. It's that simple.

You being a Nats fan makes sense. I think you said you have lived there for 18 years or so now. Add in that you have young kids that enjoy it and we have some proper fandom going on here. It's the fact that you waited six years to show any interest. Flawed fan character.

One trip to Fenway from a WVA/PIT kid leading to becoming a Ref Sox fan is goofy. Right up there with I liked their colors. Root for the teams where you live or be a douchebag. It's that simple.
Obviously you've never went to Wrigley or Fenway as a kid. Having an actual experience is living life and nothing similar to "I like their colors" or "I live in that city". That's what it's all about in life.Not just following the crowd but experiencing your own thing/forming your own opinions based on experience/knowledge etc..... Goodness man.If you love a team because you went to the games or followed them with your friends it would be a similar deal. How do you not understand this stuff. That's what makes an actual fan. The experience, the ride. Not just because I live here or like their uniforms.

You being a Nats fan makes sense. I think you said you have lived there for 18 years or so now. Add in that you have young kids that enjoy it and we have some proper fandom going on here. It's the fact that you waited six years to show any interest. Flawed fan character.

You still haven't squared how do you drop the team you rooted for the first 35 years. Please explain in detail how you do so because another team you have no loyalty to moves to the city you live. You haven't broken this down for me. Wouldn't that make you a sell out to just drop your old team of 35 years? So according to your rules, if you move to DC you have to like them because you live there or if another team moves to Philly you root for two teams? Please explain the rules in both cases.

and BTW, Harper is playing like a man from another planet.

ty
You still haven't squared how do you drop the team you rooted for the first 35 years. Please explain in detail how you do so because another team you have no loyalty to moves to the city you live. You haven't broken this down for me. Wouldn't that make you a sell out to just drop your old team of 35 years?

Again, you seem like a solid dude in real life, but your fandom tendencies are flawed and douchey. One, you had no business being a Red Sox fan. You were a douche with this, too. Never lived in BOS and had a baseball team right in your own backyard during your youth (Pittsburgh).

And for the record, I've been to many different stadiums both as a youngster and an adult. Always enjoyed it. Never once said, hey it's now my team. Weak. You do it as a kid and it's ok, then you're suppose to grow out of it. I guess that didn't happen for you.

Obviously, your rules of fandom don't match mine, but at least I'm consistent. A huge part of being a fan is sharing it with the people I call friends and family and the people of where I live. I never wanted to be that douche who liked a team 500 miles away. I never wanted to be that guy who wasn't asked to come out and enjoy the home team play an important game because I was a Minnesota Vikings fan and no one else was. That's weird to me.

Again, your Nats' fandom and sharing it with your kids is legit, but jumping on board six years after the fact is weak.

ty

Again, you seem like a solid dude in real life, but your fandom tendencies are flawed and douchey. One, you had no business being a Red Sox fan. You were a douche with this, too. Never lived in BOS and had a baseball team right in your own backyard during your youth (Pittsburgh).

And for the record, I've been to many different stadiums both as a youngster and an adult. Always enjoyed it. Never once said, hey it's now my team. Weak. You do it as a kid and it's ok, then you're suppose to grow out of it. I guess that didn't happen for you.

Obviously, your rules of fandom don't match mine, but at least I'm consistent. A huge part of being a fan is sharing it with the people I call friends and family and the people of where I live. I never wanted to be that douche who liked a team 500 miles away. I never wanted to be that guy who wasn't asked to come out and enjoy the home team play an important game because I was a Minnesota Vikings fan and no one else was. That's weird to me.

Again, your Nats' fandom and sharing it with your kids is legit, but jumping on board six years after the fact is weak.

So please answer my specific question: you grow up as a fan of a team for 35 years, you move to another city with no team and a new team moves to your city after 10 years. According the Burrs rules of fandom, what do you do?

and BTW, Harper is playing like a man from another planet.

Harper is a great player. You don't need to remind us. My only prediction with him is that he'll start to decline by 27. I'm more concerned with the Nats and if they can finally win a playoff series. I know that's not the most important thing with them. Not holding onto to guys too long is much more important thing in this era of baseball.

So please answer my specific question: you grow up as a fan of a team for 35 years, you move to another city with no team and a new team moves to your city after 10 years. According the Burrs rules of fandom, what do you do?

Give me your years spent in different cities. Did you live in Boston for 35 years? 30? 25? Which one? I can break this down for everyone if need be. Just need the specifics of how long and where you lived.

Burrs, you need to go back and read the stuff you're writing. You're a douche for having real life experiences beyond where you live? You're a douche if you have said experiences that shape something you enjoy but you're supposed to grow out of it? What does that even mean? Seriously, I don't know what that means. So take everything that happened to you as a kid and forget about it? A huge part of enjoying anything is your life experience. Just like you enjoying following teams with your friends. That's your experience and no one else should judge it. You make all these silly rules and call everyone else a douche. You're not connecting the dots here? Not even a little?

Give me your years spent in different cities. Did you live in Boston for 35 years? 30? 25? Which one? I can break this down for everyone if need be. Just need the specifics of how long and where you lived.

Burrs, let's make this more general because you obviously can't answer. Joe lives in Cleveland for 22 years. Joe moves to Miami at the age of 22. Joe is a Cleveland fan. When Joe is 35 the Marlins come to town. Joe is now 43. Who is he supposed to root for and why?

Burrs, let's make this more general because you obviously can't answer. Joe lives in Cleveland for 22 years. Joe moves to Miami at the age of 22. Joe is a Cleveland fan. When Joe is 35 the Marlins come to town. Joe is now 43. Who is he supposed to root for and why?

Joe can either remain a CLV fan or he can become a FLA fan when they arrive. He can't wait six years, make excuses along the way on why he hasn't made the switch, then wait to they appear to be getting good to jump on board. If he does do that, then he can be a FLA fan moving forward and run around dining room tables with his kids. However, he will be subject to having his balls busted by random strangers on a message board. Does this clear it up?

Side-note: Your example is not Joe.

Burrs, you need to go back and read the stuff you're writing. You're a douche for having real life experiences beyond where you live? You're a douche if you have said experiences that shape something you enjoy but you're supposed to grow out of it? What does that even mean? Seriously, I don't know what that means. So take everything that happened to you as a kid and forget about it? A huge part of enjoying anything is your life experience. Just like you enjoying following teams with your friends. That's your experience and no one else should judge it. You make all these silly rules and call everyone else a douche. You're not connecting the dots here? Not even a little?

Let get something straight. I don't think you're a douche. I actually like you as much as anyone on here. I'm calling your fandom douchey, but not you the person. Separate sports from real life for a second.

I think going to Fenway as a kid is a terrific experience. I enjoyed it. I don't think it's a good enough reason to adopt that team as your baseball team when you have one in the city that you live.

You know how NFL coaches have that sheet on when to go for the 2-point conversion. Well, I have one when it comes to being a fan of a sports team.

Joe can either remain a CLV fan or he can become a FLA fan when they arrive. He can't wait six years, make excuses along the way on why he hasn't made the switch, then wait to they appear to be getting good to jump on board. If he does do that, then he can be a FLA fan moving forward and run around dining room tables with his kids. However, he will be subject to having his balls busted by random strangers on a message board. Does this clear it up?

Side-note: Your example is not Joe.
I'm not Joe, correct. I'm just trying to get some sense of consistency. Next scenario: Joe lives in Cleveland for 22 years. He moves to Philly. Can Joe become a Phillies fan? If so, does Joe have to drop his team of 22 years and immediately declare his loyalty to the hometown Phillies because he lives there? Or is there some time frame, statute of limitations where he's allowed to keep rooting for his team? How many years before he must switch? Where is the exact line or is it solely based on where you live as previously said? Is he allowed to develop his own experience that over time causes him to switch teams to his new hometown team?

I'm not Joe, correct. I'm just trying to get some sense of consistency. Next scenario: Joe lives in Cleveland for 22 years. He moves to Philly. Can Joe become a Phillies fan? If so, does Joe have to drop his team of 22 years and immediately declare his loyalty to the hometown Phillies because he lives there? Or is there some time frame, statute of limitations where he's allowed to keep rooting for his team? How many years before he must switch? Where is the exact line or is it solely based on where you live as previously said? Is he allowed to develop his own experience that over time causes him to switch teams to his new hometown team?

These are all good questions. My sense is that if Joe was a passionate CLV fan that he would remain a fan in the early part of his stay in another city. However, if he made the new city his home, maybe got married, started a family, or was bachelor for a bunch years, then over time his allegiance might change and this type of fandom would be acceptable. Really it's not that hard to figure out. If Joe moved to Philly and only stayed a year or two, then I doubt he would become a Phillies' fan. Probably wouldn't want to. Probably has a good idea that he's not going to be here all that long. He already invested 22 years as an Indians' fan. A short time in another city wouldn't change that. Now, that doesn't mean he couldn't head on over to CBP to catch a game from time to time just because he likes baseball. Obviously, the longer you stay the more likely you are to become a fan of the team in that city.

These are all good questions. My sense is that if Joe was a passionate CLV fan that he would remain a fan in the early part of his stay in another city. However, if he made the new city his home, maybe got married, started a family, or was bachelor for a bunch years, then over time his allegiance might change and this type of fandom would be acceptable. Really it's not that hard to figure out. If Joe moved to Philly and only stayed a year or two, then I doubt he would become a Phillies' fan. Probably wouldn't want to. Probably has a good idea that he's not going to be here all that long. He already invested 22 years as an Indians' fan. A short time in another city wouldn't change that. Now, that doesn't mean he couldn't head on over to CBP to catch a game from time to time just because he likes baseball. Obviously, the longer you stay the more likely you are to become a fan of the team in that city.
So you acknowledge that fandom happens over time, the longer you're in the city and might not be something you just switch on. Hmm.....that seems familiar to my experience. Sorry, I'm good in the Burrs book. You need to drop your objection.

I need you to guide me on my NBA fandom. I've been a Sixer fan since I was 6 years old. I loved Andrew Toney and Dr. J. Outside of my 4 years at Nova I've never resided in Philly. However, I still like the Sixers despite never living there. I have lived the past 18 years in a city with an NBA franchise. Does my hoops fandom qualify me for douche baggery. I never out grew my childhood experience and do not like the team in the city I reside (Note, this is the longest I have lived anywhere in my life). Ruling with explanation please.

So you acknowledge that fandom happens over time, the longer you're in the city and might not be something you just switch on. Hmm.....that seems familiar to my experience. Sorry, I'm good in the Burrs book. You need to drop your objection.

I need you to guide me on my NBA fandom. I've been a Sixer fan since I was 6 years old. I loved Andrew Toney and Dr. J. Outside of my 4 years at Nova I've never resided in Philly. However, I still like the Sixers despite never living there. I have lived the past 18 years in a city with an NBA franchise. Does my hoops fandom qualify me for douche baggery. I never out grew my childhood experience and do not like the team in the city I reside (Note, this is the longest I have lived anywhere in my life). Ruling with explanation please.

Your NBA fandom is fine because WVA/PITT doesn't have an NBA team. So, you are free to to root for anyone. You entered the free NBA market and chose the Sixers. You have remained s Sixers' fan, but if you wanted to become a Wizzards' fan you could. However, I suspect if you had such an urge it would have happened 15-16 years ago, after your first 2-3 years in DC.

You're still a bit misguided with baseball for the reasons already discussed. Your Nats' fandom is legit, but still worthy of ball-busting because of the delay in accepting the team. Sharing present day experiences with the kids is 100% fair.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT