ADVERTISEMENT

Harvey vs Hamels Friday night

At times Burrs and I disagree, we don't fight.

I dont know why people are on adp. It takes like 18 years to become a fan after you start liking a team in DC. That's how things roll down there apparently. He's only in like year 6 or 7. I think he's doing a bang up job considering.

DMIL, you better be careful because you don't root for the teams where you live. Per Burrs, you're supposed to be a fan of the teams where you live. In your case, the Devils. Tread lightly.

DMIL, you better be careful because you don't root for the teams where you live. Per Burrs, you're supposed to be a fan of the teams where you live. In your case, the Devils. Tread lightly.

Inaccurate. Dmil is a 4-4 CoDB'er. Well within his fandom rights as a North Jersey resident. Dmil actually does it right. He's no different that South Jersey people rooting for the CoP teams. Good job, Dmil.

"I never wanted to be that douche who liked a team 500 miles away"

Great line from Burrs that sums up his groupthink mentality.

As for me, I loved being that guy.

Inaccurate. Dmil is a 4-4 CoDB'er. Well within his fandom rights as a North Jersey resident. Dmil actually does it right. He's no different that South Jersey people rooting for the CoP teams. Good job, Dmil.
South Jersey has no sports teams so it's nothing similar. South Jersey is basically West Virginia with the shore on one side and the CoP on the other.

I was probably 6 or 7 years into Rangers heartbreak before the Devils even showed up here. Still use that Anders Hedberg move across the high slot and shoot against the grain. Heckuva player.

"I never wanted to be that douche who liked a team 500 miles away"

Great line from Burrs that sums up his groupthink mentality.

As for me, I loved being that guy.

Dean, would you kindly provide your information? Where you have lived, how long, and which teams you root for? I want to properly rate your fandom douchey. Thanks in advance for playing.

DMIL, let's be clear; I have no dog in your decision on which sports team you follow. It's your life. I'm a live and let live guy. Go for it.

South Jersey has no sports teams so it's nothing similar. South Jersey is basically West Virginia with the shore on one side and the CoP on the other.

When it comes to supporting pro sports teams South Jersey people (Many who are Philly transplants) mostly cheer on the CoP teams.

North Jersey people, like CoDB dwellers have freedom to pick from two teams in baseball, football, hoops, and three in hockey ofvtheyvsre so inclined. One per group, can't double up.

C'mon ADP let's not play clueless to the geographical factors that exist. You're smarter than this.

When it comes to supporting pro sports teams South Jersey people (Many who are Philly transplants) mostly cheer on the CoP teams.

North Jersey people, like CoDB dwellers have freedom to pick from two teams in baseball, football, hoops, and three in hockey ofvtheyvsre so inclined. One per group, can't double up.

C'mon ADP let's not play clueless to the geographical factors that exist. You're smarter than this.

Actually it's 4 teams in hockey as you forgot the Islanders. I'm simply trying to keep up on all these rules. Thought it was all about where you live and given the Devils reside in New Jersey, just like DMIL, thought it was a hard and fast rule. Either way, it's not similar to South Jersey because South Jersey has nothing in regards to pro sports.

You can pick any team you want -- and also change whenever you want. It's just a game. If 'Nova had a scandal like penn state's, I would pick a new team.

#Nova
#Mets
#Cows
#Rangers
#Kobe

You can pick any team you want -- and also change whenever you want. It's just a game. If 'Nova had a scandal like penn state's, I would pick a new team.

#Nova
#Mets
#Cows
#Rangers
#Kobe

Why? Because the new administration, coach, and future players deserve to pay the price for the crimes of others? Also, all the wonderful people that influenced your life while at Nova and friends made suddenly mean nothing because of bad acts of a few? Sweet logic. Dumb, actually.

I'm going to assume you're a CoDBer, so you're half a douche for being a Cows fans. You can be a fan of individual players, but does being a Kobe fan mean you root for the Lakers? Nah, no dice. Not permitted.

Actually it's 4 teams in hockey as you forgot the Islanders. I'm simply trying to keep up on all these rules. Thought it was all about where you live and given the Devils reside in New Jersey, just like DMIL, thought it was a hard and fast rule. Either way, it's not similar to South Jersey because South Jersey has nothing in regards to pro sports.

The hockey teams available for No. Jersey folks and city people are Rangers, Devils, and Islanders. Who is the fourth? Buffalo? Nah, not an option. People from Buffalo and surrounding area of Buffalo get the Sabres.

Is North Jersey considered par of the CoDB Metro Area? Then, all of the teams are fair game. The only rule is that you can't be a fan of more than one. That would just be weak behavior.

Why? Because the new administration, coach, and future players deserve to pay the price for the crimes of others? Also, all the wonderful people that influenced your life while at Nova and friends made suddenly mean nothing because of bad acts of a few? Sweet logic. Dumb, actually.

I'm going to assume you're a CoDBer, so you're half a douche for being a Cows fans. You can be a fan of individual players, but does being a Kobe fan mean you root for the Lakers? Nah, no dice. Not permitted.

It's not all that dumb really. It would be very very hard to root for a university that not only continued to deny their role in child rape, but is angry people question the deification of its coach. We all value hoops at Villanova, but not above something so utterly heinous.

It's not all that dumb really. It would be very very hard to root for a university that not only continued to deny their role in child rape, but is angry people question the deification of its coach. We all value hoops at Villanova, but not above something so utterly heinous.
Seriously, I live in DC and would not allow my children to root for a team owned by Daniel Snyder. He's an awful human being.

Burrs: Grew up in upstate NY. Lived in DC for 12 years, now NYC for 9. Only local pro sports teams growing up were Buffalo Bills, Buffalo Sabres. Nearest baseball team was actually Toronto, but most people rooted for the Yankees.

For college it was Syracuse. Everybody loved the 'Cuse. I hated local teams because everyone else liked them. When #2 seed Syracuse lost to #15 Richmond in the '91 tournament first round, it was a great day, let me tell you. Ditto for all four winters when the Bills lost Super Bowls - four in a row.

My teams since the early 80s have always been:

Florida State Seminoles (NCAAF)
North Carolina Tar Heels (NCAAB)
San Francisco 49ers (NFL)
Los Angeles Lakers (NBA)
St. Louis Cardinals (MLB)
New York Islanders (NHL)
Tottenham Hotspur (EPL)
Bayern Munich FC (Bundesliga)

Most hated teams:

Buffalo Sabres
Buffalo Bills
Boston Celtics
Dallas Cowboys
New York Rangers
Green Bay Packers
New York Mets
Syracuse Orange
Florida Gators
Duke Blue Devils

When I moved to DC I immediately started to despise the Redskins, Wizards, Capitals and all of their fans. I left DC two years before Nationals Park opened near the Navy Yard. I went to several Nats games at RFK but never considered actually rooting for them.

In NY I don't hate the Yankees, Giants, Knicks, or Jets, but I enjoy seeing them suck.

The people responsible were all fired, correct? The main culprit is behind bars, correct? There are new people in place who I'm sure have good intentions, but I'm typically someone who thinks the most people try to do good.

Yes, there are still some old school zealots amongst the fan base, but I tend to think that most are reasonable people and know something bad happened.

Not really interested in this discussion because its yesterday's news. Plus, I don't care about PSU even a little.,

The people responsible were all fired, correct? The main culprit is behind bars, correct? There are new people in place who I'm sure have good intentions, but I'm typically someone who thinks the most people try to do good.

Yes, there are still some old school zealots amongst the fan base, but I tend to think that most are reasonable people and know something bad happened.

Not really interested in this discussion because its yesterday's news. Plus, I don't care about PSU even a little.,

University continues to be the culprits' chief apologist. Return the statue, return the wins, restore Joe Pa. blah blah blah. That fight continues this day. With countless people and alum downplaying the role of university and coach in what amounted to a couple of decades of a man raping kids with their consent. FACT.

Again, were that to happen here, you can count me out.

• Burrs: Grew up in upstate NY. Lived in DC for 12 years, now NYC for 9. Only local pro sports teams growing up were Buffalo Bills, Buffalo Sabres. Nearest baseball team was actually Toronto, but most people rooted for the Yankees.

For college it was Syracuse. Everybody loved the 'Cuse. I hated local teams because everyone else liked them. When #2 seed Syracuse lost to #15 Richmond in the '91 tournament first round, it was a great day, let me tell you. Ditto for all four winters when the Bills lost Super Bowls - four in a row.

Los Angeles Lakers (NBA)
    New York Islanders (NHL)
    Tottenham Hotspur (EPL)

Most hated teams:

Buffalo Sabres
    Buffalo Bills
    Boston Celtics
    Dallas Cowboys
    New York Rangers
    Green Bay Packers
    New York Mets
    Syracuse Orange
    Florida Gators
    Duke Blue Devils

When I moved to DC I immediately started to despise the Redskins, Wizards, Capitals and all of their fans. I left DC two years before Nationals Park opened near the Navy Yard. I went to several Nats games at RFK but never considered actually rooting for them.

In NY I don't hate the Yankees, Giants, Knicks, or Jets, but I enjoy seeing them suck.

Dean, how close to Buffalo? How long did you live up that way? Why the hate when the Billsxlost Super Bowls?

The soccer and college teams you listed aren't really in play here. That's a different dynamic.

Yawn, I picked The Cows out of a bucket-- literally. I've probably watched 4-5 hours of NFL "action" the past two years. I can root for whomever I want, not sure why you're so offended. I might change to the Browns mid-season this year. Who cares.

I'm old enough to remember Jordan's gr8ness (barely), but Kobe is the only player I would consider watching now. I don't watch the NBA at all, so if Kobe isn't on -- I won't watch.

I understand you are a penn state apologist, but I would not associate myself with 'Nova if Father Peter knew JW was protecting a child molester for decades. The system WAS broken at penn state (Money > Children Safety). I'm sorry, but it's just a game (a game that I love and it would suck to give it up).

• Dean, how close to Buffalo? How long did you live up that way? Why the hate when the Billsxlost Super Bowls?

The soccer and college teams you listed aren't really in play here. That's a different dynamic.

75 miles. I grew up there - 18 years.

Because the Bills have THE most annoying fans in the country. And I was an NFC guy anyway. I even supported the Cowboys against them - even though they knocked off the 49ers two years in a row in the NFCCG.

Yawn, I picked The Cows out of a bucket-- literally. I've probably watched 4-5 hours of NFL "action" the past two years. I can root for whomever I want, not sure why you're so offended. I might change to the Browns mid-season this year. Who cares.

I'm old enough to remember Jordan's gr8ness (barely), but Kobe is the only player I would consider watching now. I don't watch the NBA at all, so if Kobe isn't on -- I won't watch.

I understand you are a penn state apologist, but I would not associate myself with 'Nova if Father Peter knew JW was protecting a child molester for decades. The system WAS broken at penn state (Money > Children Safety). I'm sorry, but it's just a game (a game that I love and it would suck to give it up).

Ohh, so you're not even a fan of the NFL/NBA. Ok, so this example doesn't even apply. Not sure why you even put those names down. No one said you had to be a fan of all four sports.

I don't care about PSU, but I'm
Not going to hold different people responsible for the acts of others.

Los Angeles Lakers (NBA)
New York Islanders (NHL)
Tottenham Hotspur (EPL)

Now this, more than adp's situation, should draw furor from Burrs. A weird mix of frontrunning. Not a single team within 400 miles of your home. Jesus.

75 miles. I grew up there - 18 years.

Because the Bills have THE most annoying fans in the country. And I was an NFC guy anyway. I even supported the Cowboys against them - even though they knocked off the 49ers two years in a row in the NFCCG.

Due to age lived there. You left as you entered adulthood and when clearer thinking typically begins. Plus, the residing in bumblef*ck area (75 miles isn't around the corner), then you probably meet the requirements of the pick whoever program. I do get the sense that you seem like you enjoy being that guy in the crowd who is against the masses. There might be a douchey flavor with that.,

Now this, more than adp's situation, should draw furor from Burrs. A weird mix of frontrunning. Not a single team within 400 miles of your home. Jesus.
To clarify, ADP has Steelers, Pens, Sixers, Nova and Nats. All teams from his hometown, his college and current place of residence. No frontrunning here.

It definitely reeks of front-running. The soccer and college aren't part of the chart. Plus, he lived in what sounds like a rural area. With just that measly city of Buffalo 75 miles away. Furthermore, if you move into a city during adulthood you're not forced to like those teams.

To clarify, ADP has Steelers, Pens, Sixers, Nova and Nats. All teams from his hometown, his college and current place of residence. No frontrunning here.

ADP, all total this is a solid list. No NBA in Pitt, so open market for you there. I'm still troubled by the Red Sox over Pirates. On board with Nats now, but disappointed on the 6-year wait. You're fandom gets a solid B, tho.

You have to understand in that era, I couldn't just turn on cable and watch any game I wanted. Most of the games that were the catalyst for my fandom were finals matchups. Indiana St. vs. Michigan St. in '79 was the first college basketball game I ever saw - and when Magic went to the Lakers and they won the finals in his first season (and Magic selected as finals MVP), it was natural to like L.A. There weren't a lot of NBA games on TV then.

Cardinals - the Yankees had won two titles in the late 70s and lost to the Dodgers in '81, but I didn't want to be like everyone else and root for them. When the Cardinals won vs. Milwaukee in 7 games I loved Ozzie Smith and Whitey Herzog. I also remember hoping the Royals would beat the Phillies in '80.

Islanders - Made 5 straight finals from '80 - '84, winnning the first four. Very little hockey was on TV.

For the 49ers, my uncle lived out in San Francisco and took me to a game during the '81 season. After that I didn't see the 49ers on TV until "The Catch" game and Super Bowl XVI. After those two games, how could I not root for them?

The college teams I like were actually based on losses - FSU Orange Bowl loss to Oklahoma in '80, UNC tournament finals loss to Indiana in '81.

I dated a girl that grew up in Warren, PA, which is about roughly the same distance from Buffalo, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh.

Her brother was a Dallas Cowboy, St. Louis Cardnal, Penn State football, and Duke basketball fan. I always had silent contempt for his choices of teams.

A lot of youngsters who don't have proper guidance surrounding them will tend to be frontrunners. It's actually quite common and from ages 10-17 can be acceptable. Just like people this age can't drive a car yet, vote, consume alcohol, etc they also struggle to align their allegiances with sports in the proper places. Many grow out of this phase once entering adulthood. Dean is a prime of example, due to moving multiple times and fewer options in the home base area, who just stuck with the childhood front-running teams. This happens and can be understandable in some cases. His reasoning is plausible in terms of being exposed to only certain teams as a youngster, plus of the other factors already discussed.

Every single person (with a soul) that I know from the Buffalo/Rochester area is:
NFL: Bills
NBA: Knicks
NHL: Sabers
MLB: Yankees or Indians/Pirates/Twins/Reds because of the Bisons and Redwings affiliations

You can't excuse blatant front running that easily.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT