ADVERTISEMENT

#IStandWithAhmed

NovaHoops2002

VUSports.com All-American
Sep 28, 2009
This whole thing makes me want to vomit. I hope South Park does an episodes about this.

I think it has gotten out of hand in terms of treating him like the smartest 14 year old in America - the clock sucked imo - but it all sort of happened at once. Can't blame people for trying to do nice things for someone who just went through the scariest day of their life.

Reactions: kjbert
I think it has gotten out of hand in terms of treating him like the smartest 14 year old in America - the clock sucked imo - but it all sort of happened at once. Can't blame people for trying to do nice things for someone who just went through the scariest day of their life.
Yeah - that is all I am saying. Being invited to the White House, Google etc. Give me a break. To me I blame the 1 teacher who told him to hide the clock in his bag and not show anyone else. Why not just keep it out in the open to squash any kind of fears/paranoia etc.

Reactions: SnottieDrippen
He's basically been set up to have a great life because of this incident - unless he matures like an Olsen twin and spends his scholarship money on crust punk fashion and opiates. We'll see - will be an interesting Where Are They Now story

7 year old boy chews his pop tart into the shape of a gun and gets suspended, which is then upheld at a hearing, 14 year old boy creates a clock which, to a non-trained eye, could be confused for something worse, especially considering it was the Monday after 9/11, and is lauded a national hero. God we are screwed.

I mean if we're being honest with each other, the thing DID look suspicious

that said, arresting him for it was way over the line

He's basically been set up to have a great life because of this incident - unless he matures like an Olsen twin and spends his scholarship money on crust punk fashion and opiates. We'll see - will be an interesting Where Are They Now story

Kid most likely ends up joining ISIS...or becoming our 2nd Muslim President.

I saw someone on facebook post a picture of ahmed being arrested and then a picture of this as if there is some juxtaposition to be made. Only thing I drew from it was that USA is falling way behind in terms of education.
CPB17kcVEAIpl_B.jpg

other than the definition of "commenting," i don't think you're missing anything

Reactions: ericw
I dislike "what ifs" and "hypotheticals"..........but, hearing about all young Muslims who have/are joining ISIS and are being recruited for terrorists acts, suppose Ahmed did make a bomb and detonated it in the school. OK....he only made a clock, but, next time it could explode. Think the teacher and police handled it as best they could....better to act now and ask questions later.

I dislike "what ifs" and "hypotheticals"..........but, hearing about all young Muslims who have/are joining ISIS and are being recruited for terrorists acts, suppose Ahmed did make a bomb and detonated it in the school. OK....he only made a clock, but, next time it could explode. Think the teacher and police handled it as best they could....better to act now and ask questions later.
Dude you really live in a fearful world huh. No outside the U.S. travel and now a country full of young Muslim terrorists

it's been a trend for some time now. i mean they suspend children for making a gun gesture with their hands for crissakes. you can't even take an aspirin without getting in trouble for doing drugs. no common sense.

Dude you really live in a fearful world huh. No outside the U.S. travel and now a country full of young Muslim terrorists

Just had the anniversary of 9/11........how many of the thousands that lost their lives were fearful that they would never return home. And I have traveled outside of the US frequently.....but, there are definitely parts of the world I wouldn't think of visiting. And, they have already discovered several youths intent on terrorists acts.
So, am I fearful......no, but, I am aware of the potential problems that the country is facing. And with the present administration doing little to stem these potential problems, the entire country needs to exist in degree of caution.

Reactions: jvm3
This seems like stupid decisions by one or two individuals.

These stupid decisions are similar to other unrelated prejudices that people have but it seems like a big stretch to connect the two.

big stretch or little stretch.........there will be times when folks wish a bigger stretch had been made.

Just had the anniversary of 9/11........how many of the thousands that lost their lives were fearful that they would never return home. And I have traveled outside of the US frequently.....but, there are definitely parts of the world I wouldn't think of visiting. And, they have already discovered several youths intent on terrorists acts.
So, am I fearful......no, but, I am aware of the potential problems that the country is facing. And with the present administration doing little to stem these potential problems, the entire country needs to exist in degree of caution.
Are you comparing a kid who showed what he made to a teacher to the 9/11 attacks?

image.png

I saw someone on facebook post a picture of ahmed being arrested and then a picture of this as if there is some juxtaposition to be made. Only thing I drew from it was that USA is falling way behind in terms of education.
CPB17kcVEAIpl_B.jpg

does this brit boy vacation in Iran?

in my local school district the school was put on lockdown because of a couple kids brandishing what turned out to be umbrellas in the lobby and acting in a manner that someone thought looked suspicious on the security monitor. the police responded, etc.

cuffing this kid and arresting him was uncalled for but i also can understand when people who are entrusted to protect the lives of their students the best they can through the school day (given Columbine, terrorism, CT, all the stuff that has happened) err on the side of caution.

why did he feel the need to bring a home built object of any kind to school if it wasn't in response to an assignment?

they should have asked him to take it home - same way you ask the kids with inappropriate clothes to rectify the situation or an adult should have told him that he needed it to borrow it from him to have it checked out - in fact a teacher with a quick mind that perhaps was a little suspicious could have told him "this thing is really neat - I am going to go show it to Principal Whatever and see what he thinks of it - I will bring it back shortly"

As in so much that goes on in this country the people on the far left and right use every opportunity to point out why the other side is so messed up. yes, people over-reacted .... but the next time someone under-reacts, everyone will get riled up again.
Everything needs a damn hashtag - #mysideisrightandtherestofyouareaholes ... this mindset does nothing to make the country a nicer place to live for everyone.

Admittedly I'm not fact checking.... but pretty sure we have or we are close to historic lows when it comes to childhood mortality and homicide rates in history in the U.S. But nearly every day on Facebook you see see these scary child disappearance stories posted by moms like they are super regular occurrences and not the rare event it actually is.

We have so little to actually worry about you see nonsense like this and umbrella or pop tart lock downs. It's as if everyone watches cable news all day.

in my local school district the school was put on lockdown because of a couple kids brandishing what turned out to be umbrellas in the lobby and acting in a manner that someone thought looked suspicious on the security monitor. the police responded, etc.

cuffing this kid and arresting him was uncalled for but i also can understand when people who are entrusted to protect the lives of their students the best they can through the school day (given Columbine, terrorism, CT, all the stuff that has happened) err on the side of caution.

why did he feel the need to bring a home built object of any kind to school if it wasn't in response to an assignment?

they should have asked him to take it home - same way you ask the kids with inappropriate clothes to rectify the situation or an adult should have told him that he needed it to borrow it from him to have it checked out - in fact a teacher with a quick mind that perhaps was a little suspicious could have told him "this thing is really neat - I am going to go show it to Principal Whatever and see what he thinks of it - I will bring it back shortly"

As in so much that goes on in this country the people on the far left and right use every opportunity to point out why the other side is so messed up. yes, people over-reacted .... but the next time someone under-reacts, everyone will get riled up again.
Everything needs a damn hashtag - #mysideisrightandtherestofyouareaholes ... this mindset does nothing to make the country a nicer place to live for everyone.

Thanks Eric.......when I talk sense, all I hear is remarks about my lawn service.......

other than the definition of "commenting," i don't think you're missing anything

Alright you got me there. Might have taken 10 seconds of his time. Think it's just a reality these days and moreso in the future that politicians will be putting in their 2 cents via social media (approving a suggestion from an assistant who actually types it)

That article is bait. It has to be. Talking about how the left wants to turn it into a multi-week story - but he's writing an article about it. He's the one keeping it in the conversation.

A kid was falsely ARRESTED (all his exames were about school suspensions - no arrests) and some people did some nice things for him. A little over the top? Yes. Some sort of harbinger for the weakness of America? No. If people don't want this story to continue being in national conversation, then stop talking about it with vilification. It seems the opposite side has already latched onto the WOC winning Emmys last night as their new inspirtation for the week.

Kid might be an electronics genius, but he's pretty stupid when it comes to common sense. Just can't be randomly bringing an unidentified, home-made electronic gizmo to school and be surprised when the school overreacts.

Bill Maher shockingly took a pretty anti-liberal stance on this one and basically said that because young Muslims have such a history of blowing shit up, we should be wary of them, throw political correctness out the window and err on the side of caution.

Not trying to make a racial issue out of this but I'm guess Maher would never take that same logic and apply it to blacks when it comes to violence. Couldn't he easily also say that the rest of society should profile blacks because they have a history of committing crime? Same principal I think. Yet he doesn't blink when going after Muslims with this rant

Maher has been anti-islam for a while now. Really it's an anti-religion overall thing for him. He still thinks figuring out that God probably isn't real makes him smart.

Alright you got me there. Might have taken 10 seconds of his time. Think it's just a reality these days and moreso in the future that politicians will be putting in their 2 cents via social media (approving a suggestion from an assistant who actually types it)
Honestly, right or incorrect, the minute I read that tweet I saw it as a veiled shot at the police/school personnel in that town. Just my immediate reaction.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT