ADVERTISEMENT

Many Thoughts after Last Weekend's Loss

Patm

Diaper Dandy
Jul 11, 2001
I normally sleep like a baby but found myself awake last night thinking about the game and the season. I keep thinking about what could of been if Dylan's shot fell and we won. I normally don't post much but thought it would be therapeutic to share my thoughts:

Sorry formatting is messed up for some reason

a) First, Kudos to Eric and the VU Sports members for creating such a great community. I have been a member since day one and started reading posts on the AOL board. I love reading the board especially the recruiting info and the player analysis. It is amazing how the internet has changed everything as I remember how I used to get excited when my Big East Briefs and Bob Gibbons report came in the mail so I could read the recruiting info.

b) I watch every game - she my wife thinks I am crazy. I have been moving around the country with my company for the last 12 years (live in Texas now) so Iam lucky to go to a game or 2 a year. However, I am very excited to be moving back to Northern Virginia next year which will make it much easier to come up to Villanova to see games.

c) My love for college basketball started when I was in high school when I lived in Northern Va.
I grew up routing for Maryland because of the great teams they had in the 80's with Adrian Branch and Len Bias.
Of course, that all changed when I went to Villanova in 1982. I went to as many games as I could but
Engineering kicked by butt freshman and sophomore year. After I graduated, I had season tickets for 5
year while I lived in NJ but gave them up when I went to grad school at Duke.

d) As the older board members know, the 1985 run to the championship was beyond magically and was just an incredible time. I was a junior at the time and it was one of the most exciting times of my life. I am sure it is the same for many board members but that experience makes every March special to me because you never know what can happen. The tournament is such an amazing event and I am very thankful that under Jay we make it most years.
e) It has been well documented, but we have just been very unlucky over the years under Jay's tenure. We have had key injuries (Sumpter), bad calls (Ray's travel), and been very unlucky with some of our matchups (actually Uconn and NC ST both should have lost in the first round). We also have lost to the eventual champion 5 out our last 9 appearance - let's go NC ST. I think Jay said it well that the he and the team needs to learn from this and get better. I believe our time
will come.

f) As for the game, I keep seeing the Dylan 3 point shot in my head and keep saying what if? Man if his shot goes down and we won the game who knows what could of have happened - our confidence would be ski high for sure.

g) The game brought back all the same feelings I had last year in the UConn game. I was confident going into the game but started to get very nervous as the 1st half played out. Then after the last second 3 pointer, I said oh crap looks like tonight is not our night. Besides the SH game last year, it had been a while since those type of things happened - at least since Cheek's left.

h) As the second half progressed, I became more nervous and actually could feel my heart beating through my chest and then as we got further behind I has losing it.

i) At the 2:00 minute mark, I was resigned to losing and said to myself I can't believe we are going to lose in the second round again after such a great year.

j) Then Darrun starting hitting 3 pt bombs all over the place and I said maybe. Then NC St turns it over and we have the ball down 2 with 25 seconds left. Can't ask for a better opportunity after the way we played. Man I wish we had a time out. In the end, we couldn't of asked for a better shot, a wide open 3 at the top of the key. It just didn't go in. It is amazing how sports can come down to a couple of inches - one inch shorter and maybe the 3 drops and we are getting
pumped for Friday night.
k) Kudos to Darrun - he did what seniors are supposed to do - he put the team on his back and almost willed us to

victory. I wish we could have gotten him the last shot.

l) You have to give NC ST credit, their guards make some big time plays in the second half and their bigs very getting every rebound. They answered every one of our runs.

m) I was thinking about where this game ranks in terms of our most disappointing loses. For now, I would say it is tied with Uconn last year and FL in 2006. The most disappoint lose to me in the last 20 years is the Old Dominion lose because they were a 13 seed and because we had multiple chances to win the game at the end of regulation and OT.

n) Tournament success is special but so is the success we had the last couple of years. It has been an amazing run and Jay and the kids deserve a ton of credit. Villanova has had many mediocre teams under Massimino, Lappas and even under Jay. As a long time die-hard fan I really appreciate what Jay has built and accomplished over the last couple of years. As we know from 2012 and as BEEFER said, it is a thin line that separates success and failure.

o) We are very very lucky to have Jay. The program is in great shape and what he is accomplishing in the new Big East is simply amazing. I am confident our time will come and we will make a March run soon. We just need a little luck and some good match ups.

p) I love what Villanova stands for in college athletics. At the same time, I really hate want KY standsfor with their one and dones. It is really a joke because half of the players stop going to class the day after they lose their last game. I am very much hoping someone plays a great game and beats them. I also don't like Calipari because of his recruitment of Bobby Martin back in the 80s. Losing Bobby really set the program back.
q) On a selfish note, the one good thing about Villanova not making the final four this years is that applications will not go up next year. I have a junior who is planning to apply.
smile.r191677.gif

r) Again, thanks to Jay and the team for what they accomplished this year. Next season is along way away but I will still enjoy the journey although I know I will be awreck come next March

This post was edited on 3/25 8:57 PM by Patm

This post was edited on 3/25 8:58 PM by Patm

This post was edited on 3/26 4:11 PM by Patm

This post was edited on 3/26 4:12 PM by Patm

This post was edited on 3/26 4:15 PM by Patm

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News