ADVERTISEMENT

MLB - Spring Training

NovaHoops2002

VUSports.com All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Has anyone noticed that the Phillies have been absolutely raking it in Spring Training so far! 2 more bombs for Franco today bringing him to 6 in 28 PAs.

I might bump up my prediction from 70 wins to 72.

Franco is an absolute stud. Problem is other than him and Crawford they don't have any sure things going forward on offense. Tho Williams, Alfaro, Knapp certainly have promise.

Haha made the comment about Phils raking in ST so far to a friend and this was his response:

"To quote Major League II - yeah, off guys who will be bagging groceries next week."

Rule 5 draftees : Phillies :: 2nd Round picks : 76ers
I am bummed out that Altherr is basically done for this year. I was looking forward to seeing him get everyday playing time. There was a couple quotes from Texeira who had the same injury saying that Altherr is going to have a long road back. Hopefully he can recover and be ready for next season. Now it looks like the OF will be Herrera, Bourjos, and the Rule 5 pick Goeddel.

Franco is an absolute stud. Problem is other than him and Crawford they don't have any sure things going forward on offense. Tho Williams, Alfaro, Knapp certainly have promise.

As does Herrera and Quinn. Plus, the first round pick from last year.

The Phillies outfield will be hard to watch this year though I like Herrera -- he needs to be your third best hitting outfielder not your anchor. Hopefully some of the young guys will come along quickly, get a glimpse of an option or two in September. Other than that expecting a much more watchable product.

The Phillies outfield will be hard to watch this year though I like Herrera -- he needs to be your third best hitting outfielder not your anchor. Hopefully some of the young guys will come along quickly, get a glimpse of an option or two in September. Other than that expecting a much more watchable product.
As opposed to the last 3-4 years, where their outfield has been complete dogsh*t?

No ND, was saying that the rest of the team (outside of the outfielders and last year, the bullpen) was complete garbage last few years... now the unwatchability should be more contained to the outfield, and probably the bullpen and some starters at times.

Danny Espinosa is 0-14 with 7 k's. Stephan drew, C'mon down.

Nobody is gonna pitch to Maikel Franco this year. Why would they?

No ND, was saying that the rest of the team (outside of the outfielders and last year, the bullpen) was complete garbage last few years... now the unwatchability should be more contained to the outfield, and probably the bullpen and some starters at times.
True. But at least the unwatchability is because they're young and unproven and bound to struggle. As opposed to they are old and suck and we know they suck (Francouer, Jerome Williams, etc.)

Nats will try and cheap out by keeping him down until june

Nats will try and cheap out by keeping him down until june

Understand why they'd do that but it's completely weak. Turner sounds like significant upgrade over the Espinosa/Drew combo. Could cost them a couple wins.

I agree. Not sure nats have theargon for error.

I agree. Not sure nats have theargon for error.

spell check continues to befuddle you, my friend.

anyways, turner only has about 50 games at the AAA level. He hit the ball well in those 50 games, but it isnt a stretch to suggest that he could use another 2 months fine tuning some parts of his game.

This touch screen is awful. How do people use these things?

True. But at least the unwatchability is because they're young and unproven and bound to struggle. As opposed to they are old and suck and we know they suck (Francouer, Jerome Williams, etc.)

Not looking forward to watching Bourjos. Not sure he has more upside than Francouer. Altherr was very watchable but not happening this year obviously. Seems likely to be low upside AAAA players like Bourjos most of the year, plus Herrera who hopefully builds on last year.

Is there any talent ready to put at the other OF spots in the first half of the season?

Not looking forward to watching Bourjos. Not sure he has more upside than Francouer. Altherr was very watchable but not happening this year obviously. Seems likely to be low upside AAAA players like Bourjos most of the year, plus Herrera who hopefully builds on last year.

Is there any talent ready to put at the other OF spots in the first half of the season?

Until Nick Williams is ready, no.

Probably too soon for Quinn or Williams. Bowa was raving about Quinn this morning. Says he has Dee Gordon type speed and hits the ball all over the ballpark. Had a HR & 3 triples in limited ABs this spring before being sent to ML camp.

Bourjous is just a guy, but should be much better defensively than anyone else they threw out there the last couple of years.

Sucks about Altherr.

Probably too soon for Quinn or Williams.

Right, assumed so, seems like no chance we see them before midseason at the earliest if at all this year. Until we see them, it's Herrera and AAAA guys in the OF. Bourjos does nothing for me but admittedly I haven't watched him yet. I assume someone in the front office sees at least some limited offensive upside relative to his terrible big league numbers or else we'd probably have signed a Francouer type for the league minimum.

I think the Phils starting pitching will be quite solid. The problem is the team will rarely hit. When your OF is Bourjos-Herrera-Asche/Goedell and your SS is Galvis its hard to expect any sort of sustained offensive production.

Hate to break it to you but just b/c you can palm a tennis ball doesn't mean your hands are large squirt
Child please. I'm not taking crap from a guy who's greatest sporting achievement is running a sports book in Costa Rica.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT