ADVERTISEMENT

My new gym pet peeve

ChicagoSux

Diaper Dandy
Oct 10, 2009
this guy

Stinson-WEB.jpg

Since when did the Bane mask become standard running attire?

It's supposed to simulate altitude training when in reality, it's just a good way to pass out due to lack of oxygen. It's more effective to simulate high altitude while doing everything else and then train at sea level, because you're able to train harder at sea level while maintaining the oxygen delivery benefits that you gain from living at altitude. Live high/train low. The other way around doesn't make much sense.

It's supposed to simulate altitude training when in reality, it's just a good way to pass out due to lack of oxygen. It's more effective to simulate high altitude while doing everything else and then train at sea level, because you're able to train harder at sea level while maintaining the oxygen delivery benefits that you gain from living at altitude. Live high/train low. The other way around doesn't make much sense.

Robust models can confirm this.

The lady bought one for the bedroom so i don't have to choke her anymore. Living in the future is so cool

1) Half-Reppers (only if they are meat heads trying to look strong with weight they can't bench properly, nothing against old guys who do it).
2) Guys who wear their bathing suits in the shower
3) Won't reveal his name, but a guy who shows up at the gym every morning just to make an appearance. Then he hangs out in the locker room for 45 minutes to talk to everyone in the whirlpool/steam/sauna area.

1) Half-Reppers (only if they are meat heads trying to look strong with weight they can't bench properly, nothing against old guys who do it).
2) Guys who wear their bathing suits in the shower
3) Won't reveal his name, but a guy who shows up at the gym every morning just to make an appearance. Then he hangs out in the locker room for 45 minutes to talk to everyone in the whirlpool/steam/sauna area.

1. I can see the merits of different types of reps, esp if a history of shoulder issues exists.
2. Agree. Also, I think it's weird when guys shimmy their underwear on while still wearing a towel around their waist. No one is checking you out, pal.
3. This is a solid old man move. Called the "executive workout". Sometimes you just need to get away from work/family and talk sh*t while sitting in the whirlpool. Roast the chestnuts, comb your hair, head back into the real world feeling like a new man.

Famous person or benchwarmer?

1. I can see the merits of different types of reps, esp if a history of shoulder issues exists.
2. Agree. Also, I think it's weird when guys shimmy their underwear on while still wearing a towel around their waist. No one is checking you out, pal.
3. This is a solid old man move. Called the "executive workout". Sometimes you just need to get away from work/family and talk sh*t while sitting in the whirlpool. Roast the chestnuts, comb your hair, head back into the real world feeling like a new man.

I can understand those half reps. But I'm talking about the guys who really just cheat the rep and know they are doing it.

I'm familiar with the executive workout, I enjoy it myself -- particularly at my gym where the steam/sauna/whirlpool work well. This person goes up to the top floor of the bellevue, does a few lat pull downs, and then goes back to the locker room. He usually chats with a few people while he's on the workout floor then quickly retreats downstairs. It's not the governor, I usually only see him on weekends. Maybe 1-2x a month during the week. At least he rides the bike when he's working out.

I'm not a fan of the guy that spreads his shit out like he's getting changed in his living room. Backpack, towels, protein shake, clothes everywhere, etc. Do you really need to answer that text sitting there in a towel, that can't wait five minutes until you get out of the locker room? Think I can get a corner of that bench?

Anything other than squats on the squat rack.
Drinking water straight from gallon
Eating tuna fish from the can while working out
Using phone in between sets
When people get annoyed that I am looking at their treadmill settings to make sure I am running faster than them

Reactions: kjbert
Seriously? This really is a thing?
I used to work out at the Stanford and west campus gyms over the summer when I was still at Nova and there was this one guy who did it all the time. It was weird, he would just slurp it out of the can in between sets. I've never seen it again since.

I used to work out at the Stanford and west campus gyms over the summer when I was still at Nova and there was this one guy who did it all the time. It was weird, he would just slurp it out of the can in between sets. I've never seen it again since.

Wow, that's incredible. I hope he sliced his tongue off on the sharp edges of the can.

The Bulgarian power lifter who wears the same disgusting ratty Gold's Gym tank top two sizes too small every day that he got in Venice California in the 70s while trying to get close to Ah-nold.

Reactions: SnottieDrippen
Speaking of dudes spreading their sh*t in the gym locker room. My old coach used to walk around naked in the locker room for minutes at a time. It was extremely bizarre. His balls would hang halfway down to his knees. Not his cack. Just his balls. He wasn't a bruv. Used to call him Captain Cowballs.

Speaking of dudes spreading their sh*t in the gym locker room. My old coach used to walk around naked in the locker room for minutes at a time. It was extremely bizarre. His balls would hang halfway down to his knees. Not his cack. Just his balls. He wasn't a bruv. Used to call him Captain Cowballs.

maybe it was because he had a set......

Yes, and it's always the old heads who do this. The older the get, the less they care about the fact that their ballsack is swinging in the wind for all to see.

They also tend to use a blowdryer on their balls after showering, otherwise known on BW/4.6 as "brightsiding."

Reactions: Chimpat
About a month ago, I did a casual 3 mile run on a treadmill at the gym. I noticed the dude next to me looking my way. Wasn't sure if it was someone who thought they knew me or if he was looking at a TV in my direction. As soon as I hit the stop button to finish my run, he reaches over and gave me a big "attaboy" slap on the back, loudly said "Great job!!! YOU KILLED IT!" and put his hand up for a high five. Very weird to stalk my run like that. He looked like a normal late-20s/early 30s bro. No obvious mental issues. So... I crushed that high five. Who gives a f*ck if it's a "weird dude watching me workout" high five. I'm the best. And I deserved to be celebrated.

this thread is making me feel much better about the clientele at my current gym

a lot of mine have already been mentioned

guy who takes 4 minutes between sets, staring at his phone in between
guy who tries to do too much weight on everything, at the expense of mobility, form, risk to injury, etc
middle aged clams in their small groups of 3-4 that rotate through the gym on some sort of 'circuit' accomplishing nothing except blocking lots of machines
people who have no awareness to who is using what, and are always jumping in where inappropriate
fat people who spend half their time talking about their workouts (and this spills over to out of the gym convos too), but never show any real results
guy who does his curls or whatever so close to the weight racks that nobody could get in to grab or replace weights, when the close proximity is completely unnecessary
general lack of awareness
guy that shimmies the boxers on under the towel
this one guy that always wears(?) his towel like a bitch, up to right below the shoulders
guy that has to make every comment to his buddy at a decibel level where the entire gym can hear, headphones or not, just to make sure he's noticed

About a month ago, I did a casual 3 mile run on a treadmill at the gym. I noticed the dude next to me looking my way. Wasn't sure if it was someone who thought they knew me or if he was looking at a TV in my direction. As soon as I hit the stop button to finish my run, he reaches over and gave me a big "attaboy" slap on the back, loudly said "Great job!!! YOU KILLED IT!" and put his hand up for a high five. Very weird to stalk my run like that. He looked like a normal late-20s/early 30s bro. No obvious mental issues. So... I crushed that high five. Who gives a f*ck if it's a "weird dude watching me workout" high five. I'm the best. And I deserved to be celebrated.

how fast did you do your 3 miles? was it worthy of a high 5?

The 3-inch rep. Very common in Latin America (must be the maschismo nonsense). Dude stacks way too much weight on the bar for bench press. Goes down 3-4 inches and back up; that's one rep in his mind I guess. Reps out about 10, then puts another 10 lbs on each side. Guarantee he couldn't do 185 four times with correct form. I'd guess more people bench like that than the correct way down these parts.

People taking up space on the cardio machine, barely peddling/walking/etc. Some old bag on the bike next to me the other day was knocking out about 30 reps per minute on level 1. Lights kept blinking "pedal faster".

Reactions: kjbert and Chimpat
I see chicks on cardio machines forever. I don't get it. You're either training for an ultra endurance event or you're pushing hard enough. Sometimes I'll walk in the gym, see a lady on an eliptical, go change, lift for 30, run for 30, shower, change and come out of the locker room and she's still there.

Reactions: kjbert
I rarely ask for a spot from a stranger, usually only attempt max weight when I'm lifting with a friend. I hate bad spotters who grab the bar too early or unnecessarily hover.

Creepy as f*ck.

I rarely ask for a spot from a stranger, usually only attempt max weight when I'm lifting with a friend. I hate bad spotters who grab the bar too early or unnecessarily hover.
I'm always honored when someone asks me to spot. In theory, they trust me with their life. And they think I'm strong enough to save them.

Reactions: NovaNation94
this thread is making me feel much better about the clientele at my current gym

guy who does his curls or whatever so close to the weight racks that nobody could get in to grab or replace

Great one. How hard is it to move a few feet away so you're not blocking 10 other bars?

The guy that stands doing sets directly in front of the dumbell wrack drives me crazy. Really pal, you're the only person in the gym who needs to use the weights. Or the guy who doesn't take the weights off after using a machine. The bathroom scene is an entirely different animal. Just weird stuff going on in there.

I never take the weights off just because no one does. Eff that. I'm not a sucker. If everyone else is a jerkoff then so am I.

Actually I'll amend that. I will take off the lesser plates. For example if I threw a few more 10 pound plates on the bench press, I'll take those off. But the big boys stay on. If you're just starting out and need to remove those weights, consider it more exercise to get you where you need to be.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT