ADVERTISEMENT

My new gym pet peeve

There are a few back machines where I occasionally leave the weights on (tee-bar and another row machine) though I usually put them back. I would never leave weights on any other machine -- particularly a bench press. Leaving them on the bench makes it look like someone is using it and it's annoying for everyone else.

This one guy used to put on 135, do ten 3/4 reps, go "run" 5.5mph on the treadmill for 15 minutes and then go back to the same bench and do the same thing. From what I can understand, I think he quit about 6 months ago to join the 12th street gym.

The guy that stands doing sets directly in front of the dumbell wrack drives me crazy

This is a common problem because there is often a mirrored wall behind the rack. These guys love to do shrugs and curls standing right there.

Another issue is the water fountain. In a small gym like mine there is one for the entire weight room. If you have to always have a full bottle at your side or need water for your protein shake, fill it up in the bathroom sink or before getting to the gym. Or at the very least let the people in line take a few seconds of drink-time.

The dude that jerks off in the showers.

Lester Burnham: Look at me, jerking off in the shower... This will be the high point of my day; it's all downhill from here.

giphy.gif

this thread makes me not miss the standard gym scene in the least. but crossfit has it's own version of pet peeve lists too, but at least people rerack their weights and there are no mirrors. or tuna fish eating while working out.

Reactions: kjbert
Haven't been to a gym in a while........never had many complaints........but, I used to pull the pin on the machine I had just used and bump it up about 40-50 lbs so the next user thought i was bustin' more weight ....

My gym is priced for poor people so I get the unsavory crowd to deal with. Last week I left my iPhone and Bose sport headphones in an unlocked locker for 5 minutes. Come back, gone. Front desk? Nope.

I get home and use the tracking feature because maybe the idiot who took my phone is one of the few people left in the world who doesn't understand that phones have GPS.

Sure enough, the map shows my phone slowly headed north, probably on a city bus, stopping at the East Harlem projects. At this point I'm thinking the phone is gone. It's going to be hacked and sold within minutes. Cops won't bother with this.

So I wipe the phone remotely and send a message on the phone in "Lost" mode, saying "Thanks for finding my iPhone and earphones; I see you're on 110th Street off 1st Avenue - it would be very smart of you to return my phone to the gym." And I left my work number.

Mexican guy "Jesús" calls me the next day at work and says in broken English that he has my phone and he's bringing it back. Amazing! I retrieve it, no questions asked. I guess I spooked him, but the point of the story is expensive gyms like Equinox have a higher grade of clientele and you don't have to worry about your stuff getting lifted.

Last edited:
Wow, solid work getting it back. What gym...... NYSC? This also happens at any gym. I worked at Equinox for a bit and we had multiple instances, but maybe it's less frequent.

Things that annoy me: Guys who grunt/yell so loudly when they go up for a lay up that the whole gym can hear them.

My gym about 25% of people don't use locks and you never hear about things getting stolen. I've had mixed experiences so I always lock my stuff up. One morning I dropped my Iphone running band that visibly had $10 in it as I was packing up, went back the next day and it was still there with the $ in it. I did the same thing with my Fitbit Charge, 20 minutes later it was gone. The Fitbit was on a weekend though, I don't think anyone that goes in the morning during the workweek would steal. Everyone knows everyone and the crowd is successful middle-aged men that doesn't really need to.

If a salesperson is trying to be friendly and give you a student discount (for example, when buying a new macbook), would it be classified as stealing to accept their offer (obviously when not a student).

Years ago, I free toured a Corporate gym & went in steam room @ end.

Dude starting jacking off. I yelled @
Him, he stopped, I got out & quickly changed.

Told manager about this, said I still want to join but this guy has to go.

Corporate policy says a member has to complain about a gross violation & then they can kick him out.. I wasn't member, Guy says sorry that is our rules.

Didnt join that circus

People who do crossfit in a regular gym.

This clown at my gym yesterday basically had a quarter of the gym set up for his own personal crossfitt exercises. He had one bar down for DL, had the squat rack set up for himself (gym only has 1 squat rack and there is always someone waiting for it), and then had about 6 sets of dumbbells for various exercises as well. He was going from one to the other for about 3-4 sets until someone finally just stepped in and used the squat rack.

Reactions: obriend1
have started working out over lunch - company has a sick gym right on campus - for the past 2 months. progress is slow going mainly due to my horrendous eating/drinking habits at night/over the weekend.

one thing i'm always sure to do is right before i drop the workout boxer briefs and grab the towels to head to the shower, i give my junk a tug. see, i'm what they call a "grower," not a "shower," and when i'm hammering away on that elliptical my little engine always meanders his way up inside the hood.

last thing i want is to have senior management swing by my locker right when i'm grabbing my towel and my dck is practically inverted. it may be 2 inches 90% of the time, but that other 10% when it hits a solid 7" i feel like a warrior.

Reactions: SnottieDrippen
People who do crossfit in a regular gym.

This clown at my gym yesterday basically had a quarter of the gym set up for his own personal crossfitt exercises. He had one bar down for DL, had the squat rack set up for himself (gym only has 1 squat rack and there is always someone waiting for it), and then had about 6 sets of dumbbells for various exercises as well. He was going from one to the other for about 3-4 sets until someone finally just stepped in and used the squat rack.

What a fcking asshole.

Reactions: cleanwave
When all the girls keep trying to distract you from your workout by asking if they can give you a blowjob... Like, i'm trying to work out here

Reactions: NickleDimer
Good one from today (don't think it's been mentioned yet):

Pint-sized bodybuilder wannabe has 225 loaded on the flat bench. Thought to myself - probably enough for him to max 1-2 times at most. I hear him say he is going to do it eight times. No fckin way.Squirt is 5'3" if that. I already know that either the spotter is in for a workout or he will be cranking out 3 inch reps like 90% of the clowns down here.

To his credit, he goes all the way down with proper form. However, spotter helps each of the eight reps. Five minutes later does another set - same deal. At the end he says he will do 10 reps next time.

Moves onto lat pulldowns - same deal - way too much weight - spotter helping on nearly every rep.

I don't usually do Lat pulldowns because I prefer pull-ups, but how the f*ck do you have/need a spotter for a lat pulldown?

Also, back and chest on the same day? Not a fan.

Last edited:
Reactions: NickleDimer
Was like a hammer strength type of pull down machine. Spotter helping him pull down on just about every rep.

chictown sucker..........you are so soft and sensitive for someone hiding behind his keyboard and posting a million times in between his shifts at McDonalds..........
I'm back sucker........and always game for a good pissing match with a punk like you

He shows a lot of character.....starts calling posters names, then gets called back and he wants to fight......LOL......was never in a fight in my life......I'm a lover baby!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT