ADVERTISEMENT

NBA Draft/Rumors Thread

Apparently Hinkie was aggressive but was consistently beaten to the punch. Draft was a complete and total waste after Okafor but we thought this might be the case after losing out on the Lakers, Heat, Thunder picks. They wouldve gotten good players at all of those spots.

Question for me is, does Hinkie have any interest in winning any games next yr? If he does I'm pretty damn sure he can get his hands on a guy like Ty Lawson to run his team. Denver is turning the team over to Mudiay and wants to shed Lawson's contract. The Sixers have more than enough CAP SPACE and draft picks in order to acquire him. If they wanted it's something they could easily get done. Or does he wanna trot Wroten out there at the point and still lose a ton next year? They could easily acquire a guy like Lawson and then deal Noel for a really good 2G. They could actually put a very capable product out there as early as next year. Saric is a guy I would look to move at this point, those 4 #1 picks next year not withstanding.

Why are we looking to move guys like Noel and Saric? For what, more mid round picks? At some point you need to build a team. The Sixers just wasted a bunch of picks on guys who will never play and all play the same position. Why not take a shot with Connaughtan? You need a shooter at some point. Nope, let's draft a bunch of Euro bigs because we know they won't come over at a time we don't have capable NBA players. The tape of the guy they took at 35 or 37 (can't recall) was awesome. He was a big slow white guy who couldn't jump or move. The NBA is looking for big guys that cannot move. Clearly where the game is headed. How about taking a shot with Hillard. Hometown kid, maybe sell a ticket or two and he can shoot the ball. Nope, we'll take another stiff big who will never come over. Great plan.

Reactions: Brahmabullgc
Sweet, hopefully they got another 2nd round pick that wheeling-dealing Sam can trade for another future 2nd round pick and maybe someday that will turn into 2, 2nd round picks to potentially use for a player to be named later in the future.

Sweet, hopefully they got another 2nd round pick that wheeling-dealing Sam can trade for another future 2nd round pick and maybe someday that will turn into 2, 2nd round picks to potentially use for a player to be named later in the future.

They got two 2nd RD picks, so maybe someday it turns into three. Just saying....

2nd RD picks are usually insignificant. Maybe, you get lucky with one of them along the way.

The most disappointing parts of last night for me were losing Russell. Then, not finding away to get back into the second round.,

Maybe, Okafor is really good and at some point they use a front court player to grab an already established perimeter guy.,

Was hearing the Sixers were trying to deal the seconds all night, but didnt have any market, nor did they have any interest in taking a bunch of guys they would have to sign this summer. Just picked guys to stash away or give away. Most overrated asset is the second round pick.

Anyway, there was no other pick than Okafur in that spot. Just not sure what they are going to do with him. I am not convinced he can hack it defensively in the NBA, but I am not convinced he won't improve enough to become acceptable either. And if current personnel holds, does he really need to defend all that great? They have other to guard the rim. Offensively I think he's going to pretty damn good.

Who is projected at 1-2 next year and the following? That's how bad the Knicks will be.

First of all. Let's see if Embiid can get on the damn floor. And stay on the damn floor. Use this year to figure it out. The 96 mins at the 4-5. Rotate them between the 3 bigs. 32 mins each. Is that not enough? Of course it's enough. When other teams are subbing in scrubs to spell starters you are putting a stud in the game. There's the very real specter that Embiid may not be good to go this year. And maybe not ever. I pray it's not the case but now they have covered themselves. If he's good to go you are kidding yourself if you don't think the Sixers can find a trade market for 1 of these extremely valuable bigs. Of course they can. Say, for example if the Grizz or Clippers had an injury this year and lucked into Towns or Okafor in the lottery. You don't think they'd find an attractive trade market for Towns-Okafor or Griffin-DeAndre, Zebo-Gasol? Get your heard out of your ass. Of course they would. And that doesn't even include Saric or the 4 #1 picks the team has next year. And more $ to spend on free agents than the entire league. They will have plenty of ways to add a guard or 2. When they so choose. Not sure when Hinkie will chose to. But he will be able to do it when he wants to.

Really good bigs are lot harder to find than really good guards. Or has Villanova basketball not taught us that already?

All the fuss some people are making about the Sixers current roster makeup makes me laugh. They got a bunch of cats who are 19 and 20 yrs old. It's not like they're trying to take a run at Lebron this year. Having what people consider a balanced roster ready to go make a run at the title is not exactly in the cards currently. Let it play out.

I do hope we hear from JohnnyGentle today though. The man absolutely hated Okafur and loves Hinkie.

That would be a tantalizing read if nothing else. Methinks he got himself arrested at the Ferguson riots.

Draft Thoughts:

Miami got a steal with Winslow at 10, I think he was top 3 talent in this draft.

The Knicks pick could pan out but in the end the organization has never shown any patience, I think they botched this one big time. I could see Porginizis becoming a player in seasons 3 or 4 but by that time the Knicks traded him for some spare parts.

Its mind boggling to me that the Sixers and Celtics have not pulled off a trade, the Celtics have about 8 guards on their roster and the Sixers have 3 big men who cant shoot from the outside. To me there has to be a trade somewhere, whether its Bradley, Smart, Thomas or someone.

Great seeing Darrun Hillard go ahead of the Harrison Twins, the highlight of the draft for me.

When will they try to contend? We are in year three now.
Exactly, you can't be 3 years away for 3 straight years. This idea that you keep trading assets for future assets stops making sense after 2 years.

I think Hinkie is going to make a run at Durant or Westbrook to be perfectly honest. The challenge for him is does he take on decent guys like Khris Middleton and Ty Lawson now for good money....to round out his roster. Or sit on that cash and try to lure a megastar. I think he chooses option 2. I really don't expect him to spend much cash this offseason. They could put a playoff team on the court this yr (in the east) if they really wanted to but I think he is ultimately hoarding all that cap space to go after a superstar like Durant, Westbrook or Harden when the time comes in a couple yrs.

Ponzi schemes do not contend.

Only question I have for Sixer management is when do they sell$$?

I think Hinkie is going to make a run at Durant or Westbrook to be perfectly honest. The challenge for him is does he take on decent guys like Khris Middleton and Ty Lawson now for good money....to round out his roster. Or sit on that cash and try to lure a megastar. I think he chooses option 2. I really don't expect him to spend much cash this offseason. They could put a playoff team on the court this yr (in the east) if they really wanted to but I think he is ultimately hoarding all that cap space to go after a superstar like Durant, Westbrook or Harden when the time comes in a couple yrs.
What planet do you live on? Durant, Westbrook or Harden coming to Philly? Philly is considered the lowest of the low in terms of FA attractiveness to come play. This was before they sucked to high heaven. The only decent FA to come to Philly was because they overpaid a broken down Elton Brand. That's pretty much it since FA began. None of those guys will even visit Philly or use them for leverage to get more money somewhere else because no one will believe they'd actually come.

I said in a couple yrs. Not today. When/if the bigs look ready to be stars the dynamic changes in the eyes of the rest of the league. You act like Philadelphia is Toronto or something. It's a top 5 sports market. Come on man. Players want to play with other players. If you show you have talent, they will look at you. Perhaps they could acquire such player through trade. No telling what will happen.

As for Okafor's D - apparently he was given avid instruction from Coach K to NOT FOUL so he could stay on the court and impact the game so much for them on the other end. That may explain some of his matador defense. May. Again - with Noel or Embiid they dont require him to be a fly swatter but perhaps he's not as bad a defender as we believe if Coach K didnt want him being aggressive defensively.

You are better than this, please don't become an apologist.

Reactions: NickleDimer
It's more than likely his D does suck. And as I have stated - Playing next to Nerlens or Embiid it won't really matter. This is the main reason the Lakers passed on him. He can't play next to Randle defensively. Randle can't guard a damn lawn chair. Lakers also probably think they can get Aldridge or Monroe to come play center. They are, after all, the Lakers.

A direct quote from my most brightsiderest 76ers fan pal (a CoP Native 4for4er):
"I am 0% excited about what the Sixers have. 3 tank drafts have led to zero backcourt talent. Hard to see where this is going."

Heavy words from someone who has gushed over everything until now.
Is the long term plan to move the franchise to Seattle?

You act like Philadelphia is Toronto or something. It's a top 5 sports market.

1) Toronto is an awesome city.
2) International players especially love Toronto - very diverse city.
3) The Raptors have a rabid fanbase.
4) Philly is a blah city with bitter fans and questionable sports team management across the board.

International players might love it but high profile American studs aren't even looking in their direction. Be serious.

You get the point. Playing basketball in Philadelphia isn't like playing hockey in Phoenix. As ADP was insinuating.

Warriors just had to bench their center to win the championship. The 76ers have 3 centers.

Guys, this was a gr8 night for the 76'ers. in 2 years we will be in the eastern conference finals. -Most 4 for 4'ers.

The Warriors only won because they didn't have to face the Spurs. Who OWN them. And because Kevin Love and Kyrie got hurt. The Warriors went small because the Cavs didn't have the ability to match up b/c they were crushed by injury. The notion that the landscape of basketball has suddenly changed is absolutely ****ing ridiculous and shortsighted. Why does Kentucky dominate the college game? Because they kill teams in the paint and have more good big men than everyone else every year. The Spurs, the best team of last decade, built around a big man who plays like Okafor, were only beaten by the Clippers because they couldn't deal with Jordan and Griffin in the paint.

International players might love it but high profile American studs aren't even looking in their direction. Be serious.

Gr8 point. All-star calliber free-agent Americans don't even think about signing in Toronto over Miami, Houston or the Lakers.

lowry-kyle-620.jpg

Reactions: jvm3
I said high profile. Not guys who are kicking around the league going from team to team. When Lowry went to Toronto, he was just a guy who other teams kept drafting over. Do better than this. I'm talking about established stars and quit trolling.

Kyle Lowry was an all star caliber free agent when he went to Toronto.

:rolleyes:

Kyle Lowry was an all star caliber free agent when he went to Toronto.

:rolleyes:

True or False:
Kyle Lowry was a free agent in the summer of 2014.
Kyle Lowry was pursued by many teams including LAL, MIA, HOU.
Kyle Lowry signed with TOR.
Kyle Lowry proceeded to have a season nearly identical to his prior season.
Kyle Lowry started the 2015 All-Star Game.
Fort Lauderdale has the world's most attractive women.

Fun Fact: Tim Duncan has been on the All-Defense team for 15 straight years.

And Parker and Ginobili are no slouches.
Love this place, last month we were talking about whether Tim Duncan was the best big man of all-time. Now we are talking about the 3rd pick in the draft and using Tim Duncan as the example.

I would love this place more if more of you could actually keep up in a running basketball dialogue. You already ran a solid poster in Johnny G off b/c you guys couldnt do enough to stir up his basketball intellect. Dissapointing. Do better.

Okafor is the most advanced offensive-post player to come into this league in many years, possibly since Duncan. At 19 he is much further along than Duncan was and the patterns to their offensive game/passing ability are quite similar and rooted in fundamentals. Defensively he will never match him, thus he will never be Duncan overall but he is absolutely going to impact games offensively from Day 1.

. Why does Kentucky dominate the college game? Because they kill teams in the paint and have more good big men than everyone else every year. .

Did you just cite Kentucky packing the paint with 7' bigs as a reason the NBA hasn't changed?

I would love this place more if more of you could actually keep up in a running basketball dialogue. You already ran a solid poster in Johnny G off b/c you guys couldnt do enough to stir up his basketball intellect. Dissapointing. Do better.

Okafor is the most advanced offensive-post player to come into this league in many years, possibly since Duncan. At 19 he is much further along than Duncan was and the patterns to their offensive game/passing ability are quite similar and rooted in fundamentals. Defensively he will never match him, thus he will never be Duncan overall but he is absolutely going to impact games offensively from Day 1.
Huh?

Did you just cite Kentucky packing the paint with 7' bigs as a reason the NBA hasn't changed?

Did you just cite the Warriors winning a title as a reason the NBA has changed? Oh wait, you did. That sort of simple minded, knee-jerk bullsh*t is a reason I dont listen to sports talk radio. I dont expect to read it here too.

The NBA has been DOMINATED by superstar wings and dominant big men for like 30 yrs. The rim is still 10 feet. The court is still 94 feet. Unless the 3pt line has been moved in and I dont about it, it's still the same game where dominant big men are at an absolute premium and the hardest positions to fill.

Sixers took the best player available, i liked the pick. the Lakers took Russell because they will land either Aldridge or Love in the off season , not need to have Okafur with one of those players plus Randle. Mudiay is a huge question mark as were the Euros. Okafur was the #1 pick in college, not sure why he fell to #3 but i thought it was a steal at 3.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT