ADVERTISEMENT

NBA Playoffs

NovaHoops2002

VUSports.com All-American
Sep 28, 2009
This has been terrible - first Curry and now Paul?

Looks like we're heading towards Spurs/LeBron IV?

Warriors - Blazers.

My God. Just take a vaca to Bermuda, Steph. I doubt Portland wins a game even with Curry playing none of them. They get one game in Portland. Tops.

Not sure Clippers can even push it to 7 without Paul.

Guards like Lillard can give the warriors problems. Definitely not a sweep, but anything beyond 4 games Curry likely plays in.

Last night I watched some of the Charlotte-Heat game. Jeremy Lin was a huge factor for the Hornets. It was fun watching Lin and Kemba drive the Heat crazy. Such a great time of year. Celebrate your 2016 National Title and flip between playoff hockey and hoops each night.

Not sure Clippers can even push it to 7 without Paul.

Guards like Lillard can give the warriors problems. Definitely not a sweep, but anything beyond 4 games Curry likely plays in.

Portland is trash on the road. Zero chance of winning a game in GS.

Portland is trash on the road. Zero chance of winning a game in GS.

Where did I say they would win a game in GS? I did infer they would win a game in LA, which w/o Paul and a limited Griffin isn't crazy.

Was able to get in on Portland to win series today when odds first reopened at 1-1. This was before Blake was officially ruled out. -225 now. Easy cash. Over in 6 tho I suppose the Clippers will rally together and win one on emotion at home, then get murdered in Portland in Game 6 and run out of gas in Gm 7. I see next to no way LA wins 2 of 3 with this cast of garbage. Jamal Crawford will take 30 shots.

The Clippers are an abhorrently awful bunch when CP3 is not on the floor.

Are the playoffs still going on?

Have their been any upsets yet? Maybe a 4 seed loses a key player and drops to a 5 seed?

Got to love the 7 game series with the 20 second shot clock and 44 minute halves. Really increases the sample size so the better teams always win. Horrible I'm terms of sports entertain,ent, but a bettors wet dream.

On a serious note I did catch some of the Spurs game recently. Anybody making an argument they now play defense in the NBA is crazy. Defense is as lackluster as ever. just shoot a bunch of wide open shots real quickly and an occasional drive and whomever hits the most wins.

Last edited:
Seriously Clark? The Spurs have one of the best defenses in basketball history.

Are the playoffs still going on?

Have their been any upsets yet? Maybe a 4 seed loses a key player and drops to a 5 seed?

Got to love the 7 game series with the 20 second shot clock and 44 minute halves. Really increases the sample size so the better teams always win. Horrible I'm terms of sports entertain,ent, but a bettors wet dream.

On a serious note I did catch some of the Spurs game recently. Anybody making an argument they now play defense in the NBA is crazy. Defense is as lackluster as ever. just shoot a bunch of wide open shots real quickly and an occasional drive and whomever hits the most wins.

If you don't like it... DONT WATCH IT!

The atlanta hawks are averaging 90 field goal attempts per game. That is video game like insane. Pretty much every other team is in the 80's

Possessions mean nothing in the nba. You get so many of them there is no need to play defense. I guess it it entertaining if you like to gllance at the tv and see some offensive action, but for a full game it is like arena football.

A high octane college offene like north carolina takes 60 shots in a game. Qualoity grind 'em iut teams like uva and nova are in the 50's.

Well, maybe that has something to do with the college games play 8 less minutes and until this year had 11 more seconds to take a shot. Furthermore, college coaches control the game way too much. In many ways they are the stars of the sport. It's a combination of playing the game their way and trying to maximize the less talented players they are coaching.

You are right about the shorter game and shot clock. Makes each possession more valuable. Makes strategy and in game coaching more important. And the coaches are given more options in terms of style of play. Really makes the college game special. Also why they always say that nba is a players' league while ncaa is a coaches' league.

But hey, if putting ten guys on the court and telling them to run around firing shots and fast breaking is more your thing, then you can always watch the nba.

Burrsies, you ever try stat keeping a nba game? Or does the video game pace of play just make that impossible?

You are right about the shorter game and shot clock. Makes each possession more valuable. Makes strategy and in game coaching more important. And the coaches are given more options in terms of style of play. Really makes the college game special. Also why they always say that nba is a players' league while ncaa is a coaches' league.

But hey, if putting ten guys on the court and telling them to run around firing shots and fast breaking is more your thing, then you can always watch the nba.

Burrsies, you ever try stat keeping a nba game? Or does the video game pace of play just make that impossible?

I've kept stats of NBA games plenty of time and it's not a problem.

Yea, all they do is run around firing shots and fast breaking. Such a great way of looking at it.

Also, there are about 350 D-1 teams, and about 10% of them I'd put into the "special" category, maybe 10%.

The atlanta hawks are averaging 90 field goal attempts per game. That is video game like insane.

A high octane college offene like north carolina takes 60 shots in a game. Qualoity grind 'em iut teams like uva and nova are in the 50's.

College: 60 shots a game is 0.75 shots per shot clock duration (80 30 second shot clocks in a 40 minute game)
NBA: 90 shots a game is 0.75 shots per shot clock duration (120 24 second shot clocks in a 48 minute game)

#math.com

Carolina actually averaged 64 attempts/game.

Per shot clock duration?

How about shots per minute? The shot clocks are drastically different.

Someone tell burrs they shortened the college shot clock to 30 seconds.

Are you assigning great value to the extra time spent walking the ball up the court / milking the shot clock in the college game?

Yes. It shortens the game and makes each possession more valuable. As oppose to the video game style in the NBA where you can chuck up a bunch of bad shots and it doesn't really matter because there are so many possessions that it will balance out in the end.

Also, for a basketball fan (as oppose to a highlight reel fan), I like that some teams push the pace, while others slow it down and grind it out. It makes for more match up possibilities and a more interesting season. As opposed to the NBA where everybody just tosses up as many shots as possible.

Per shot clock duration?

How about shots per minute? The shot clocks are drastically different.

The games are drastically different. One features the best players in the world. The other has 4-5 really good teams per year out of 350ish.

Anyway, nothing wrong with liking both. Not sure why you go out of your way to knock the NBA at every chance. You don't really watch it, therefore, you really have no clue what you're talking about.

I used to like the NBA. Back before they de-emphasized defense. Now it is a bunch of cookie cutter teams all running the same play, not playing defense, chucking up a ton of shots.

The NBA has the better players. But the college game, and I'm talking pretty much the top 100 teams, is a much more entertaining style of basketball. Teams run plays, strategy is involved, possessions mean something. The individual talent is far less, but the game is better. Well, at least for those who like basketball and aren't just tuning for some quick hitting highlight reel action.

Then I remember that burrseis used to value college teams based on their nba talent, and he would constantly bash villanova and the big east for not having enough nba talent so they all sucked. He would rather have a one and doner on a bubble team than a champion like archie.

The skill in the nba is incredible. If you don't like the nba playoffs you are probably not a hoops fan.

Reactions: NovaHoops2002
Give me a Saint Joseph's (PA) v. URI mid-January Saturday afternoon clash over a first round NBA playoff game any day. Yeah, I said it.

The skill in the nba is incredible. If you don't like the nba playoffs you are probably not a hoops fan.

I easily watch 100+ basketball games per year. But if, in your opinion, I don't like basketball, then so be it.

I don't like watching high school all American games, and I don't like watching the harlem globetrotters, and I don't like watching NBA games, Sure, the skill in those games is great, but the games themselves are a bore.

People who watch the NBA would probably prefer to watch a long drive competition at a driving range than watch a round of golf that involves strategy like the US Open at Merion.

Back to my original question:

Have their been any upsets yet? I am assuming at least one of the 4 seeds got a little banged up and a 5 seed is giving them trouble. No?

Yes. It shortens the game and makes each possession more valuable. As oppose to the video game style in the NBA where you can chuck up a bunch of bad shots and it doesn't really matter because there are so many possessions that it will balance out in the end.
How are there so many bad shots in the NBA if they don't play D? They must be wide open all the time.

FG % this season:
NBA: 45.2%
NCAA: 44.0%

Most shots in the NBA are wide open. They are usually good looks, but if you chuck up bad shots (meaning the shot itself is bad), no big deal, you are going to get close to a hundred more looks throughout the next 45 minutes.

Hey, if you guys like this stuff, more power to you. Some people prefer the shoot out style no defense instant gratification all action games. Me? I enjoy the game of basketball the way it was meant to be played.

Reactions: Mr. Wade Garrett
NBA needs to go back to best of 5 first round. Other than that NBA playoffs are great.

Or they need to grow some balls and go with single elimination and swallow the whistles. Then we would see some real action. I would even watch that.

A single elimination NBA Playoffs would be amazing.

Enough of this hedging. Please pick an option:
A. NBA has bad defense and wide open shots.
B. NBA is all about chucking up bad shots.

A. NBA has bad defense with wide open shots.

The bad shot chucking is a result of simply poor execution making it a bad shot, not shot selection or good defense. Sort of like a perfect 120 yard PW to a flat green that you just block out and miss. Bad shot, but because of execution, not because of a difficult shot. And the NBA players are good, so they make a lot of them, so the bad shots are not the norm. It's more like a video game where the guys are wide open and make a ton of the shots but sometimes a guy goes cold and airballs a couple.

Next question.

Saturday afternoon in January, your viewing options are:

A) Temple v. Cincinnati on ESPN News
B) Portland Trailblazers v. Dallas Mavericks on whatever DirectTV channel is covering the game

I take A everytime. Not even close.

And I actually would probably watch A. So yes, I would take option A even over a random Clippers v. Portland Trailblazers game 3 of a 7 game series, which has about a 0.5% chance of being watched by me.

Burrsies, how many of the 33 NBA playoff games have you sat down and watched this year? Sat down, soaked them up, paid attention from tip to finish?

Ball, probably just a few. I've caught segments of a lot of games.

My first priority/interest are CoP teams. The Flyers and Phillies come first.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT